Corsair Community

New RAM - no POST

Millz

Hi there!

So I got tired of only having 4GB of RAM in my PC, so I decided to order 16GB, which is the max my motherboard supports. I decided to go with Corsair Vengeance because it looks cool, and it was pretty cheap.

The problem is that when I put the RAM in my mobo, the PC refuses to get to the POST. There's no beep, and there's no image on my screen. I first put all 4 sticks in, and assumed it would work perfectly. When I noticed it kind of went into a constant loop where it would act as if it tried turning itself on again every 3rd secord, I decided to remove one and one stick until it worked. When I was down to 2 sticks (8GB), it didn't keep rebooting (the fans ran at a constant RPM), but it still wouldn't get me to the POST.

When I was down to only 1 stick, and it still didn't work, I decided to try to combind it with my old RAM, but with no luck. I took my new RAM out of the mobo, and put the old back, and everything worked perfectly. I retried putting in the new RAM, but it game me the same result.

What can I do to make my system boot up with this RAM? I really want to use my new RAM :(

Old RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

New RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Okay, so I flashed the BIOS, but I still get the same result.

I stumbled upon a person who fixed his similar problem by, as he describes it, going into advanced DRAM config, then enabling "config DRAM timing by SPD". Now, I have no idea what SPD actually is, but I've tried looking for it in my BIOS, and I can't find it anywhere. Would that be a solution for me as well?

EDIT: I did not try to reset the BIOS. Would I do that in the BIOS itself, or do you mean hard resetting it, like taking out the battery for 10 seconds?

Okay, so I unplugged my PC, removed the battery, then took out the old RAM and put in one of the new ones, put the battery back in, plugged in the PC, and exact same result as before :(

When I put the old RAM back in, I got a message saying that the CMOS time and date had to be set, so I know I reset the BIOS.

Any other ideas? :/

. Now available in Cerulean Blue to match motherboards supporting the 2nd generation Intel Core processor family.

and you installed them on an AMD system? that may be the issue right there.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1364994 are the compatible modules for your board, no Vengeance ram is listed at all im afraid. nor does it list any 16 gig kits at all.

and you installed them on an AMD system? that may be the issue right there.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1364994 are the compatible modules for your board, no Vengeance ram is listed at all im afraid. nor does it list any 16 gig kits at all.

My mobo manual says that it supports 16GB RAM though.

So there's no way I can get it to work? :(

Edit: And yes, I do have an AMD system. The box has a picture of the AMD Phenom II though, so it says it's compatible with it..

Oh my, I don't think I've ever been this glad to hear a beep in my entire life!

I set the voltage to 1.65, put in two of the new ones, and it started. After the POST, I got a message saying that the overvoltage didn't work or something, so went into the BIOS to see, and it still said 1.65, so I exited the BIOS, restarted, and I didn't get the message again.

Here's my CPU-Z readings. Not sure what to see for or anything, so can you just confirm everything is as it's supposed to be?

http://i55.tinypic.com/165lb6.jpg

Also, can I put the last two sticks in and everything will be fine, or? Are there any huge disadvantages of running it at 1.65? I see it's supposed to be ran at 1.5, but I guess it shouldn't have any problems with heat at .65..

Thanks a lot Synthohol, you're my hero of the day :)

hehe, you are running at 1333 which is ok, i would manually change the command rate to 2t though.

you can try the other 2 sticks after changing to 2t and maybe increasing your northbridge voltage a notch or 2 so the extra load on the CPUs memory controller can handle all 4 sticks.

im happy to see you get on the right path, give it a shot and post back, dont get discouraged there are other settings/voltages you can increase to help if need be.

good news though!!

I'm kind of new to overclocking. Really only done it with my CPU, so could you give me some indication as to what I should put the voltage at, so I don't fry everything? hehe :)

EDIT: Sorry for being a total moron, but how do you work out that it's running at 1333? Hahah :) Is it because the DRAM frequency is at 669.7, and you double that because it's dual channel?

Good news and bad news.

I put the last two sticks in, but no beep. Took out one, and got a beep. I figured it might be something wrong with the one I took out (duuh), so I took them all out, and put the faulty one in slot 1, and another one in slot 2, just to be sure by using two slots in the mobo that I know worked. No beep.

I put the three working ones in, and now it's working.

It still told me that the overvoltage failed, and I chose to just skip going into the BIOS to check it. However, now CPU-Z tells me that it's got the command rate at 2T. I didn't enter the BIOS since last time, but I noticed you told me to set it to that. No idea how it got up to that though :)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ahwj2b.jpg

EDIT: Read up on the command rate, and apparently it automatically sets it to 2T when I have more RAM in, and 1T is better than 2T, but for some odd reason the system will probably crash if I set it to 1, so I suppose it's better to just have it at 2.

You think that last stick might be broken? I can't see any physical damage on it, nothings broken, and I haven't touched any of the sticks without an antistatic wrist strap, so I highly doubt it's been killed by static electricity. Also, shouldn't it still let me pass, or atleast DO the POST with it even though it's faulty?

I haven't touched any of the sticks without an antistatic wrist strap, so I highly doubt it's been killed by static electricity.
really? i usually wear wool socks and rub my feet on the shag carpet before working on my PC. is that bad? hehe

see if it will boot with one stick at a time, if you cannot boot with one but can with the other three, im afraid an RMA is in order. bad thing is you will have to send all 4 sticks back to get a matched quad set back. or you can run with just the 12 gig for now and worry about RMA later. its a lifetime warranty so its not like they will expire any time soon.

choice is yours on how you want to proceed from here, unless you can return all 4 to the place of purchase and get another matched 16g kit??

sorry to hear of your bad luck after coming so far today :(

I bought them online, so It's gonna take 5-7 days for it to get to them, then they'll probably spend a week to confirm that it's dead, then another week sending me new ones, so it's going to take a long time.

Plus, if it happens to me somehow being the cause (I did put them in like 600 times, I might have gotten unlucky once), will I still get a new set, or will they refuse to send me new ones?

Also, I don't desperately need all 4 of them. Running at 2,3GB RAM usage, so 19% used with lots of programs running. Think I'll be able to get some % off if I send the store a mail asking for it, or will they just tell me I have to send them in? :)

EDIT: Forgot to add it in the last post, but yeah, I started by trying to only boot with the faulty one, and that didn't work. Then one I knew worked together with it, and it still didn't work.

Also, isn't it kind of weird that I don't get any POST message telling me theres something wrong with the RAM? I mean, when I have that exact stick in, it will not get to the POST, just like it was before I upped the voltage..

not being able to POST is your indicator.

Plus, if it happens to me somehow being the cause (I did put them in like 600 times, I might have gotten unlucky once), will I still get a new set, or will they refuse to send me new ones?

lifetime warranty whether you installed them once or 600 times. as long as you did not physically damage the contacts, heatsinks, put them in the microwave or run them over with a truck. the warranty is still valid.

not being able to POST is your indicator.

lifetime warranty whether you installed them once or 600 times. as long as you did not physically damage the contacts, heatsinks, put them in the microwave or run them over with a truck. the warranty is still valid.

Hahah, thanks man. I'll send the store a mail asking if it's OK if I get a refund for only one of them or send that one back to them so they can confirm it's broken. I don't really need the last one, so..

Anyway, thanks again for your help. Really appreciate it! :)

hey np, glad to help.

keep in mind though, they are a set of 4 and need to be replaced as such ya cant single out one and send it in, it doesn't work that way unfortunately. the only way to get 16g is if they are all pretested as a quad set for warranty purposes.

well best of luck in whatever you decide.

Archived