Corsair Community

Are the VOID (wired USB) true 7.1?

Horrgakx

I'm coming from a Plantronics headset to "VOID wired USB" and straight away I'm impressed with the quality of the Corsair. All my drivers are updated and I have the latest CUE where the headset appears normally.

However I'm struggling with the audio. It sounds to me like a 2 channel output is being upscaled / processed into surround. Is this the case?

Let me explain what I mean. In stereo setting within CUE it's fine, audio from YouTube, gaming, etc. is in 2 channels like I would expect and it sounds great.

However if I press the button in CUE to make the headset "Dolby Headphone" straight away I get some muddy sounding reverb effect which makes the audio indistinct.

In games its just the same, I feel like the audio is muddy where the location / source of the sound in 3D space is indistinct.

This is why I think it's being upscaled / processed into a surround sound and not a true 7.1 because 1) I've heard it before with a simple pair of stereo headphones running some trick software, 2) my previous Plantronics true 7.1 didn't have this issue.

Can anyone help please? Especially if anyone is here from Corsair.

Are any headsets true 7.1? I mean they don't have 7 speakers in them, right?

I know the Plantronics have 40mm drivers, where the Corsair has 50mm. I just feel the Corsair are really the most comfortable speakers I've ever owned. I never owned the Plantronics, just tried them briefly, but I have owned the Astro A50's which are $299.99 and some cheaper headsets.

I have the Void Wireless for awhile now. I mostly play CS:GO. I would say 99% of the time I can tell where someone is coming from. I never use the Dolby button. I don't think I really play other that make good use of 7.1. I just select 7.1 headset in CS:GO.

As for music.. I never play it in Dolby either. I've tried it (mostly just now because of your post). I am not sure which I prefer better on or off. They both sound different. I'll probably stick with stereo. I do have my own preset.. I don't really know what to do, for as long as I can remember I just randomly slide everything up to different spots. It's got bass, but not too much so it doesn't clip. All across the board I like it better than the presets.

Archived