Corsair Community

TX850M + GPU Coil Whine

shadimar

I was having a few issue with Skyrim such as the odd bugged shadow here and there. Nothing major but I wanted to be sure nothing was wrong with my hardware. The game has a lot of bugs from what I have read, far worse than what I have had. I had ran several GPU stress tests such as Furmark, Kombuster, Heaven 3.0. The only issue I had was a glitch in Heaven panning around the dragon from what I have read is a camera glitch in the benchmark itself. I left Heaven on for a few hours running loops for a stability test. When I returned to my PC everything looked fine however I noticed all my fans RPM had dropped by 20-50 rpm, not including my GPU fans which are at normal speeds. All the fan using using power connections on my M/B had dropped.

CPU fan 1180-1190 > 1150-1160 idle / 1140-1160 > 1100-1140 load

Rear Exhaust fan 1140-1150 > 1100-1140 idle / 1115-1140 > 1080-1120 load

Rest are 200mm with a 20 rpm drop

I cleaned my fans assuming that dust and/or dirt built up but it did nothing to improve speeds. This drop in RPM happen right after running Heaven for several hours, before RPM was at the normal levels, now RPM is at the lower levels I mentioned. Even after a cold boot from being powered off over night none of the fans return to the pre-test levels.

Aside from the RPM issue I noticed both my GPU's coil whine had increased by a large magnitude. Before I would have to have my head inside my case to hear it at all. Now I can hear it over normal fan noise in 3d apps and games. I realize that a lot of GPUs have coil whine but the increase seems too fishy as again it started after testing. Also the whine was never on this current M/B, it was however on the previous one of the same version I had RMA'ed for a different issue. It is also audible in the room over all my fans.

My PSU also emits noise at idle and gets quite noisy during loads. Again this noise increase happened after testing. The PCI-E cords or the GPU connections for the cords also emit a buzzing noise.

I'm wondering if the long loops with Heaven stressed my PSU to a point that it is failing or at least any defects have became noticeable. I am currently switching my GPUs around to see if the issue is on a pci-e slot, a certain GPU, cords, etc. So far both GPUs emit noise that is audible over all my fan until the GPU fan hit 70% and overpower it.

I have switched my GPUs around, tested both slots with both GPU alone. The noise is coming from the both GPUs near the power connections. The sound is very similar to the sound I hear from the PSU. I have tried 3 different drivers, same noise. Fan RPM remains at it lower rates I posted above. I have disable/enabled different Bios power features, no change in the noise.

I have made a post on their forums about it.

It just seems odd that both would develop a noise at once from the same test. Neither card was purchased at the same time or had any noise at this level before.

What is your opinion regarding the drop in my fans rpm?

The sudden drop in both idle and load rpm on all fans at once just seems odd to me.

• 2 weeks later...

12V is dropping to 11.66 to 11.55/58 in games. Idle it is running 11.98. This is with the MB program. Im waiting until Xmas is over before sending the PC to a store that has a DMM for tests. So I have no idea what those readings will be.

The GPU company told me to check my voltages so hence Im back here again. Both GPUs and the PSU are making chirping noise when run GPU tests. DX9 test there isnt a noticeable sound from either parts. Once I run dx10/11 test all 3 parts start making the chirping sound. Im not sure if Dx9 tests draw less power than DX10/11, the benchmark shows maxed GPU usage and voltages for all tests regardless of Dx settings.

Do you mean a video of the chirping sound or of the MB program?

I do not have anything that can record a video of the chirping noise. I can try to grab something to record the MB program although Ive never used any of these programs before.

Does the TX 850m have any sort of speaker? I have heard a short single beep randomly while in Windows so Im trying to see if any other parts beside my M/B has a speaker.

Although it could be unrelated, the beep could be a warning from a part and would help in the process of elimination regarding what is causing the Chirping noise.

• Corsair Employee
There is no speaker in the PSU but from what you have posted I think it maybe the fan that you are hearing, can you set the system up where you watch the fan and run 3D Mark 2003 and Prime 95 at the same time that should load the system and the fan should turn on and off as needed and see if the noise you hear is in relation to the fan turning on and off?

Archived