Corsair Community

Cold Boot Problem w/ Asus Maximus VI Hero and Vengeance Pro

unfloopy

Hi everybody!

I built a PC with the Maximus VI Hero, but I've run into a problem. I'm not too knowledgeable about PCs, but I'll try to explain as best I can!

If I try to boot after the PC has been powered off for at least an hour or so, the PC hangs at a black screen with the q-code A2. However, if I restart the PC when it's on the black screen using the reset button on my case, it boots normally.

Similarly, if the PC has been powered off for less than an hour, I can boot normally using just the power button.

I've attempted to troubleshoot - these are the steps I've taken:

- Updated the BIOS

- Cleared CMOS

- Reseated all components and connections

- Replaced the PSU

- Booted with one stick of RAM

- Ran Memtest86+ on each stick of RAM individually (no errors after ~6 passes)

- Upped the DRAM voltage to 1.55V in BIOS

Interestingly, the cold boot problem goes away when only one stick of RAM is installed in any of the slots, so I'm guessing it's a memory problem.

It's a pain to troubleshoot because the problem only happens after an hour of waiting - however, please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Here is my list of components for reference:

- i5-4670K

- Asus Maximus VI Hero

- Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R)

- Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

- Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

- EVGA GeForce GTX 780

- Seasonic SS-660XP2

- Corsair H100i

- Asus PCE-N15

Thank you for the suggestion!

So just to make sure, is it CPU System Agent Voltage, CPU Analog I/O Voltage, or CPU Digital I/O Voltage? Those are the options I'm seeing in my BIOS.

And I entered the timings manually, based on a suggestion from another forum.

Hmmmmm the 1155 boards have vccio and vccsa. Your board being newer like mine should have just vccsa which is just vccsa and vccio combined. Let me know if you have that setting. If not I'll have to download the manual for your board and delve further in for you.

edit: looks like could be called vttcpu as well so check for that. Used to be called qpi/vtt on x58.

Yes I'd bump that to 1.0v. Aparently it's only .75v stock. I think it's a bios glitch that'll be fixed eventually. Thread on it at rog forums.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39545-Maximus-VI-Hero-bootup-cycle-hell

edit: honestly don't adjust that voltage. Seams I'm wrong. For the life of me I can't figure out what the qpi/vtt setting is called on your board. Have you tried using red slots instead of black ?

OK so I'm kind of an idiot i apologize. Not used to the new bios settings on the new 2011 and 1150 socket boards. The settings on mine are vccsa and cpuvtt. I'm running both of those at 1.15v. 1.1v should be fine tho. Cpuvtt is the main one I'm looking for. Do you have this setting.

Just gave it a shot - no luck :( When I raised CPU System Agent Voltage to ~1.1V and rebooted, the PC hung at a black screen. Resetting it yielded a BSoD.

Is it possible that these two sticks of RAM just don't play well with one another?

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to test a set of Corsair Dominator Platinums, and my system booted normally after being powered off overnight! Now I'm not sure if it's a compatibility problem with the RAM/motherboard or if there's a problem with the RAM itself...

I'd like to RMA the Corsair Vengeance Pro I have, but I'm not sure if Corsair would be able to replicate the problem. Any thoughts? Any Corsair reps on these forums?

• 2 months later...
hi everybody!

I built a pc with the maximus vi hero, but i've run into a problem. I'm not too knowledgeable about pcs, but i'll try to explain as best i can!

If i try to boot after the pc has been powered off for at least an hour or so, the pc hangs at a black screen with the q-code a2. However, if i restart the pc when it's on the black screen using the reset button on my case, it boots normally.

Similarly, if the pc has been powered off for less than an hour, i can boot normally using just the power button.

I've attempted to troubleshoot - these are the steps i've taken:

- updated the bios

- cleared cmos

- reseated all components and connections

- replaced the psu

- booted with one stick of ram

- ran memtest86+ on each stick of ram individually (no errors after ~6 passes)

- upped the dram voltage to 1.55v in bios

interestingly, the cold boot problem goes away when only one stick of ram is installed in any of the slots, so i'm guessing it's a memory problem.

It's a pain to troubleshoot because the problem only happens after an hour of waiting - however, please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Here is my list of components for reference:

- i5-4670k

- asus maximus vi hero

- corsair vengeance pro 16gb (cmy16gx3m2a1866c9r)

- samsung 840 pro 256gb ssd

- seagate barracuda 1tb hdd

- evga geforce gtx 780

- seasonic ss-660xp2

- corsair h100i

- asus pce-n15

dude, i have the same problem. My pc take a few minutes to boot with 2 sticks of memory. =/ u solved u problem?

• 2 months later...

Is this thread still alive? :-)

I do not own any corsair device, but I'm posting here because I'm also having this cold boot issue and I'm starting to suspect of the SSD, which I've noticed is tha same of the post starter (unfloopy). I have also found many posts on the internet where the PC configuration has a 840 Pro SSD (even with different motherboards, memories and PSUs).

I do not have solved the issue yet, but the next thing that I'll try is to disable UEFI and put the MBR (master boot record) on another HD (in a dual boot mode). One simple test that I'm also going to do first, is to disable all my HDs and only boot from a pen drive (to see if the problem happens).

I'll tell the results later, but I'm posting here to ask if unfloppy or rustenico solved the issue.

• 7 months later...
  • Corsair Employee
@pasemes or anyone else have an update on this? I am having the exact same issue, event down to the SSD.

I would recommend that you start your own thread under SSD section, IF you suspect the SSD being the culprit ;):

Archived