Corsair Community

TW3X and TR3X Difference??

FANTA700

Hi there,

I've been looking at some RAM options lately for my new system. And I've come accross quite a few of CORSAIR's different memory and kits.

Okay well here is my question>>> I've noticed that the different RAM modules all have their own unique code or name on the module i.e. TW3X4G1333C9. What are the differences between the TW3X, CM3X and TR3X prefix? Is the TR3X better than the TW3X? Especially when you have the same speed and CAS latency? Or is it simply a prefix for TWIN and TRIPPEL chanel?

Thanx in advance

• 5 months later...

ok old bump i just read through the http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80808

Which is great at explaining NEW modules, but not OLD ones. whats different between TW and TR? The one table says T means "GT with Airflow II but with something added" which i highly doubt. That probably applies for all the newly named modules. How do the first two letters work on the old modules?

and how would an old TW compare to a newer "D" or "P" dominator

TW and TR are in fact older part numbers. TW is for Twin meaning 2 modules. TR was for triple meaning 3 modules. These numbers no longer apply and do not contain the same information in the part number in the linked post.

Dominator is Dominator. The TW or TR prefix only denoted the number of modules.

then what is P? it just says dominator with something added

(1..2) Module Type

C XMS classic (old) heat spreader

X XMS classic (new) heat spreader

Z Vengeance series (all 1.5v)

D Dominator

P D but with something added

G GT with Airflow II

GS GT single module

T G but with something added

R Retail

E Non-Registered ECC

S Registered ECC

SO SoDIMM

N SoDIMM (N for notebook/netbook)

V Value Select (or equivalent)

• 2 years later...

Bump, because I have the same question as the original poster and the answer given is no longer vaild since the link points to a part number description for NEW parts.

So,

since I have old XMS3 TR3X6G1600C7 corsair memory, I would like to know how to break down the old memory part numbers (as http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80808 doesn't help with the old parts)?

Can anyone help with that?

I think it might be this:

TR3 - module type??

X - heat spreader or something?

6G - memory capacity

1600 - frequency tested max

C7 - CAS timing tested max (7 = 777-20 timing)

And, as an additional question,

how well do/does/did the TR3X series heat spreaders perform compared to the the newer CMX/CMZ modules?

Thanks.

• Administrators
TW and TR are in fact older part numbers. TW is for Twin meaning 2 modules. TR was for triple meaning 3 modules.

3 = DDR3

X = XMS series

6G = 6 GB

1600 = 1600 MHz

C7 = CAS 7 memory

I'm not aware of any heat spreader testing.

Thanks Techno.

But so the X in TR3X6G1600C7 does define a heat spreader style, just like the X in the new part number scheme does (just no testing comparison has been done)?

(1..2) Module Type

C XMS classic (old) heat spreader

X XMS classic (new) heat spreader

Archived