Corsair Community

Asus P5W DH Deluxe and 2 sets of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

ILLBOB4U

I have read the Memory Upgrade Guide and it was great information so thank you for putting that together. It was a little skimpy on the 64bit OS side but I know the majortity of users are currently using 32bit OS's. Here is my question:

I want to purchase 2 sets of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX as the price is very good now and I have a windows XP 64bit OS. I do a good bit of video editing and gaming. Will these modules work in my motherboard from Asus. You can see my current setup I have 4gigs of Corsair and EPP options are available for me but I still set my timings manually. Please let me know.

• Corsair Employee

EPP won't matter as you cannot use it on an Intel chipset based board. EPP is for Nvidia chipsets only.

You should be able to run another set of identically matched memory in this board but you need to try to get the same revision of memory as mixing different revisions is not advised.

Also, due to the load of 4 modules, you will likely have to either drop the memory speed to 667 or you may be able to run 800 if you tune the memory controller voltage in the BIOS.

If you want to run 4 modules I would suggest replacing what you have now with one Q2X8G6400C4DHX set of modules for best performance.

First off thank you for taking time to respond. Right now the Q2X8G6400C4DHX is too much money for my bidget. I will try the ordering 2 sets of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX and pray they are in the same batch :sigh!: From there I will tweak the timings and voltage if needed to get them to run at stock 800. Worst comes to worst I take them back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ILLBOB4U,

Did you ever get it to work? I just installed 2 sets (4 sticks) of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX in my own Asus P5W DH Deluxe, but I can't get Windows to boot. (I just get an endless stream of boot attempts and reboots.)

If you got this to work, I'd appreciate it if you could share the bios settings you used. Thanks!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32670&st=120&p=320219&hl=overclockingentry320219

Try these settings:

Configure System Frequency/Voltage

• AI Overclocking = Manual

• CPU Frequency = 266

• DRAM Frequency = 667MHz

• Performance Mode = Auto

• PCI Express Frequency = 100

• PCI Clock Synchronization Mode = 33.33

• Memory Voltage = 2.1v

• CPU Core Voltage = Auto

• FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

• MCH Chipset Voltage = 1.65v

• ICH Chipset Voltage = Auto

Advanced Chipset Settings

• Configure DRAM by SPD = Disabled

• DRAM CAS# Latency = 4

• DRAM RAS# Prechardge = 4

• DRAM RAs# to CAS# Delay = 4

• DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 12

• DRAM Write recovery Time = 6

Leave all else on AUTO settings. Download Memtest from http://www.memtest.org and write the image to a CD. Boot to the CD and allow a few passes. Please post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Thanks for the quick reply, Derek!

Please post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Tried those settings, but no luck. Memtest reported 0% pass rate.

I then removed two sticks, leaving two in place, and then set the BIOS to all auto. Windows did boot -- finally -- at which point I could run CPU-z (screenshot attached).

Forgive my ignorance, but why would 4 sticks fail when 2 work?

cpu-z1.thumb.png.1a969f654ebe01bdbff7d72e852cadee.png

That is the oldest board that can run a Core 2. It was not created for Core 2 and as such, the 975 is a bit more wonky than newer chipsets when populating all four DRAM slots with 8GB. Very possibly it will not work, even when dropping the DRAM speed and raising the MCH voltage.

I set different values above. Try them.

Thanks for the quick reply, Derek!

Tried those settings, but no luck. Memtest reported 0% pass rate.

I then removed two sticks, leaving two in place, and then set the BIOS to all auto. Windows did boot -- finally -- at which point I could run CPU-z (screenshot attached).

Forgive my ignorance, but why would 4 sticks fail when 2 work?

I set different values above. Try them.

Tried 'em - won't even POST with those values and all 4 sticks. Runs fine at full speed (DDR2-800, 2.1v, etc.) with 2 sticks.

Very possibly it will not work, even when dropping the DRAM speed and raising the MCH voltage.

I think you may be right. I'm not averse to replacing the board; I've gotten a few years use out of it. Any suggestions for a decent replacement MB that'll work with the nonrefundable DDR2-800 I've just bought and my trusty Core2 cpu?

Thanks for your help, Derek.

-Dave

The P5Q - Pro is a very good board and you should have no problems running with 8GB. The same advise is given regarding lowering the DRAM speed but you should be able to recoup much of the lost bandwidth via the overclock.

Tried 'em - won't even POST with those values and all 4 sticks. Runs fine at full speed (DDR2-800, 2.1v, etc.) with 2 sticks.

I think you may be right. I'm not averse to replacing the board; I've gotten a few years use out of it. Any suggestions for a decent replacement MB that'll work with the nonrefundable DDR2-800 I've just bought and my trusty Core2 cpu?

Thanks for your help, Derek.

-Dave

The P5Q - Pro is a very good board and you should have no problems running with 8GB. The same advise is given regarding lowering the DRAM speed but you should be able to recoup much of the lost bandwidth via the overclock.

Thanks again. So, you're saying that I'll have to lower the DRAM speed even with the P5Q, or only with my old MB?

Archived