Corsair Community

Problem with hd120’s

Sliv22000

I have x6 hd120 fans. Every fan has two cables, one pwm cable for the mb and one led cable for the hd fan hub.

I have an Asus Strix Z270F mb and I don’t think i have enough ports available for all those fans.. (everything still in box).

Can someone please help me or check for me?

If i don’t have enough ports, what do i need to do?

And another question, because the pwn cable and the led cable are both 4 pin,

How do i know which one is what? :(

I would suggest getting a Corsair Commander Pro,even if you do have enough headers. The HD fans are bright and spectacular, but you have really limited light pattern options and no brightness control without a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro. The Commander Pro also provides 6 fan headers and software fan control. This will allow you to dump AI Suite (which often conflicts with Corsair Link) while keeping fan control on the desktop and, lighting control, and cooler control (if Corsair i cooler). There are other fan hubs out there, but with HD fans there is a compelling reason to choose the C-Pro.

Also, you do not have to put each HD fan on its own header. Since the lighting power is split off to the control box and it's separate SATA supply, the actual current draw is relatively low. I am using 3xHD120 on one, but at 0.90A that might be cutting it close for some people (1.0A board limit). Two on a standard PWM splitter is easily within the safe zone. Nevertheless, I would still recommend the Commander Pro or a Lighting Node Pro. It is a completely different experience with the software lighting control.

I would suggest getting a Corsair Commander Pro,even if you do have enough headers. The HD fans are bright and spectacular, but you have really limited light pattern options and no brightness control without a Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro. The Commander Pro also provides 6 fan headers and software fan control. This will allow you to dump AI Suite (which often conflicts with Corsair Link) while keeping fan control on the desktop and, lighting control, and cooler control (if Corsair i cooler). There are other fan hubs out there, but with HD fans there is a compelling reason to choose the C-Pro.

Also, you do not have to put each HD fan on its own header. Since the lighting power is split off to the control box and it's separate SATA supply, the actual current draw is relatively low. I am using 3xHD120 on one, but at 0.90A that might be cutting it close for some people (1.0A board limit). Two on a standard PWM splitter is easily within the safe zone. Nevertheless, I would still recommend the Commander Pro or a Lighting Node Pro. It is a completely different experience with the software lighting control.

I don’t understand. I’m sorry that I didn’t mentioned, but i also have the lighting node pro. Do i need to buy the corsair commander pro too? Because that would Really upset me. I’ve already payed a lot on the lighting node pro just for the lights, so to pay another 65 dollars that i could have saved on the lighting node pro?!

Maybe there’s another way? I just don’t fully understand you..

The Commander Pro would have solved all the issues with one device, but it can be solved other ways. If you already have the Lighting Node Pro, it will allow the same Link software integration as a Commander Pro, but without the fan power options. You will need to split the fans you have across the various motherboard headers using 2 or 3 way splitters. That would be the simplest solution.

Archived