Corsair Community

Corsair 570x + Aorus X399

t_and

Hi all,

I'm planing on building a new Threadripper-based set up on, for me, one of the best looking cases (570x) together with 3 extra 120HD Fans.

I'll be using a Gigabyte Aorus X399, a Threadripper 1920x, and an Enermax TR4 AIO 120x240 cooler (at the moment the only All-In-One able to cover all the TR surface).

Things is though I have a couple doubts regarding Fan and RGB control.

1. Fan control

I was planning on using 3xCorsair HD 120 at the front, and moving the fans that come with the case to the top and back. A part from that, I wanted to use the 2 fans of the cooler behind the radiator, for a push-pull (I guess probably at the front because of the narrow space on top. I'll be using G Skill Flare X). Total of 8 fans and 1 pump.

Thing is that the chosen motherboard (Aorus X399, image following) comes with 8 mixed fan/pump pins. Would it be possible to plug 2 ventilators (the ones at the top for example) with a "Y" wire to one pinhead? So both would be controlled at the same time? Then the motherboard would be able to control all of them.

http://www.gigabyte.us/FileUpload/Global/KeyFeature/753/images/smart-fan5.png

2. RGB Control

If I understood properly, the fans that come with the case and the 3 extra HD120 come with 2 connectors. One that goes to the motherboard to control the speed and the second one to the Fan hub to control the colors, right?

I saw the case comes with a controler. Does this need to be substituted with the hub coming with the 3 HD fans?

Also, how is this hub powered? Direct with a connector from the PSU?

And finally, is it possible to set the Fan colors to change according to CPU temperature now with the new Commander Pro?

Thanks a lot for your help and sorry for asking dumb questions. I haven't built a new PC for almost 10 years now ��

Have a nice week.

PS: Do the latest 570X already come with the PSU cover? Or does it need to be bought separately?

• Corsair Employee

The simple answer would be is to use a Commander Pro.That will make your set up a lot more straight forward. You have a total of 8 fans, you can connect 6 fans to the Commander Pro for power and 2 fans goes to any fan headers on your mobo. That solves your fan splitting issue.

For the RGB hub, since you are using HDs and SPs, it's best not to use the hardware RGB controller for better lighting control and effects. Both the SPs and HD fans use the same RGB hub, but they don't use the same RGB controller.

This is the controller that you can't use vice versa between the SP and HD fans.

FgyFMpJ.png?1

And this is the RGB hub for both SPs and HDs. These are SATA powered.

QTWkLDC.png?1

As for the thermal/RGB control, all the fans connected to the Commander Pro can be configured through Corsair Link software.

1.. 570x comes with Sp RGB fans.. you wouldnt be able to mix those Hd RGB fans on the Supplied RGB fan LED hub.. one or the other, also. the supplied button controller is for Sp RGB fans only

2. the below diagram ss how mine is set up in said 570x case with push/pull front mounted rad. 6 LL rgb fans and 4 HD rgb fans.

QaJwdUK.jpg

You have plenty of motherboard headers and there should not be an issue doubling up on some of those. Since the HD/SP RGB fans get their lighting power from the controller and SATA line, the total current draw is from fan speed alone. You can easily double up.

You really want a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro if you are going to put a lot of HD or SP-RGB fans in the case. You are not getting the full options without one. As mentioned above, getting a Commander Pro would allow fan control from Link (desktop software) instead of the BIOS. Not required, but perhaps a good option to have if your BIOS setting are unsatisfying. You can still use the slightly cheaper LNP to get the lighting control, but I would only go this way if you really wanted the LED strips and absolutely knew you did not want the fan control of temp probe options from the Commander Pro.

You can do push-pull on the front 240mm radiator and I am not opposed to the idea, however it can be a little tedious to match a 2300 RPM fan (stock model) with something else. I am not familiar with the fans on this new release, but at that speed they likely have a decent amount amperage to account for. You would need one splitter for them and another for the second set. You want to keep the two sets of fans within a reasonably close speed to each other and this can be tiresome when they have substantially different RPM ranges. If you are going to go push-pull, you likely do not need 2300 rpm x 4. I would be tempted to drop the stock fans and use HD or SP-RGB all the way around, but that is obviously 2 more fans to buy and 2 more needed slots on the lighting controller.

The other to consider is if you want to mix and match HD and SP-RGB fans. Besides the controller and hub limitations, the fans do not look very much alike. The SP-RGB is more center lit with traditional 4 diagonal LEDs. The HD series has 12 little spotlights and is a fairly unique look. You can get the case without the SP-RGB fans knocking some off the price or you may simply prefer all SP-RGB fans. The HD are bright and unavoidable. Some people prefer subtle, so take a good look ahead of time.

First of all sorry for my late reply and thanks for your help!

The simple answer would be is to use a Commander Pro.That will make your set up a lot more straight forward. You have a total of 8 fans, you can connect 6 fans to the Commander Pro for power and 2 fans goes to any fan headers on your mobo. That solves your fan splitting issue.

For the RGB hub, since you are using HDs and SPs, it's best not to use the hardware RGB controller for better lighting control and effects. Both the SPs and HD fans use the same RGB hub, but they don't use the same RGB controller.

This is the controller that you can't use vice versa between the SP and HD fans.

FgyFMpJ.png?1

And this is the RGB hub for both SPs and HDs. These are SATA powered.

QTWkLDC.png?1

As for the thermal/RGB control, all the fans connected to the Commander Pro can be configured through Corsair Link software.

I didn't know of this commander pro, but after at looking at a few reviews looks like the final commander, thanks.

If I buy a 3xhd120RGB Pack, I would also get a RGB Hub like that one right? To it I could plug all 6 fans (3xSP & 3xHD) and then this to a USB port of the commander pro and then controll all 6 from the corsair software right? That's what I Understood from some reviews and from the following drawing of Zotty.

Would it be a problem if I plug all the fans (rgb&power) and also the waterpump to the commander pro? Don't Motherboards "complain" when there isn't anything branched to them for cooling? (I don't know why I have this in mind...)

Wonder if this commander pro could also control the Enermax water pump?

1.. 570x comes with Sp RGB fans.. you wouldnt be able to mix those Hd RGB fans on the Supplied RGB fan LED hub.. one or the other, also. the supplied button controller is for Sp RGB fans only

2. the below diagram ss how mine is set up in said 570x case with push/pull front mounted rad. 6 LL rgb fans and 4 HD rgb fans.

QaJwdUK.jpg

Thanks a lot for the drawing, it's really selfexplaining!

So I could control all 8 fans like you did with a couple "Y" cables right? I've read that the commander pro can handle up to 2 fans per channel (power control).

Would that scheme work then?

bv9emfD.jpg

You have plenty of motherboard headers and there should not be an issue doubling up on some of those. Since the HD/SP RGB fans get their lighting power from the controller and SATA line, the total current draw is from fan speed alone. You can easily double up.

You really want a Lighting Node Pro or Commander Pro if you are going to put a lot of HD or SP-RGB fans in the case. You are not getting the full options without one. As mentioned above, getting a Commander Pro would allow fan control from Link (desktop software) instead of the BIOS. Not required, but perhaps a good option to have if your BIOS setting are unsatisfying. You can still use the slightly cheaper LNP to get the lighting control, but I would only go this way if you really wanted the LED strips and absolutely knew you did not want the fan control of temp probe options from the Commander Pro.

You can do push-pull on the front 240mm radiator and I am not opposed to the idea, however it can be a little tedious to match a 2300 RPM fan (stock model) with something else. I am not familiar with the fans on this new release, but at that speed they likely have a decent amount amperage to account for. You would need one splitter for them and another for the second set. What do you mean exactly? An "Y spliter" with the 2 HD fans pushing at the front, and a "Y Spliter" with the 2 Enermax fans pulling at the back? You want to keep the two sets of fans within a reasonably close speed to each other and this can be tiresome when they have substantially different RPM ranges. I get what you mean. Wouldn't that be easier to control with the commander pro? Is it possible to see the rpm of the fans? If you are going to go push-pull, you likely do not need 2300 rpm x 4. I would be tempted to drop the stock fans and use HD or SP-RGB all the way around, but that is obviously 2 more fans to buy and 2 more needed slots on the lighting controller. So you wouldn't mix the Enermax and HD fans to simplify everything in the radiator area.

The other to consider is if you want to mix and match HD and SP-RGB fans. Besides the controller and hub limitations, the fans do not look very much alike. The SP-RGB is more center lit with traditional 4 diagonal LEDs. The HD series has 12 little spotlights and is a fairly unique look. You can get the case without the SP-RGB fans knocking some off the price or you may simply prefer all SP-RGB fans. The HD are bright and unavoidable. Some people prefer subtle, so take a good look ahead of time.I guess if ones are at the front (HD) and the others inside (SP) the difference might be harder to see? But, the HD can do some effects that the SP can't right? Would still both fan types be able to change color according to cpu temperature?

I guess it's easier and nicer to control all fans (color/power) from a single software no? Question is if this corsair link software would also be able to control de the Enermax pump as mentioned before.

Thanks all for your help ;)

So I could control all 8 fans like you did with a couple "Y" cables right? I've read that the commander pro can handle up to 2 fans per channel (power control).

Would that scheme work then?

bv9emfD.jpg

no buddy.. you would need 2 Rgb Fan Led Hubs. you cant mix rgb fan types. one or the other at a time. so. 6 hd fans.. or 6 sp fans or 6 LL fans... you cant mix them on the same hub :(

no buddy.. you would need 2 Rgb Fan Led Hubs. you cant mix rgb fan types. one or the other at a time. so. 6 hd fans.. or 6 sp fans or 6 LL fans... you cant mix them on the same hub :(

Ahhhhh! Sorry, I miss understood. So I would need a second RGB hub where to plug all the SP and then this to the other USB port in the commander pro right?

Thanks ;)

yes that's correct buddy,, SP on one hub.. HD on the other :) and both connected to the commander pro is fine

Perfect!

Would be that then (or purchasing 3 other HD)

sysbXH6.jpg

Any idea if the pump coould also be controlled?

yep that will work.

and if your cooler isnt a Corsair cooler then Link wont control it...

Thanks for your help Zotty!

Shame I can't control the cooler with the corsair software, but it makes sense if it isn't from the same brand.

Wouldn't it make more sense to plug the 2 cooler fans also to the MB if the pump can't be controlled by the Commander pro? This way there wouldn't be need to use the Y splitters to have all 8 fans connected, and all the CPU cooling system would be handled by the MB. Or better controll all fans with the Corsair link software and pump with MB?

And just one last question, looking at the last schema, does every RGB Fan Led Hub need a sata connector, or do they "feed" from the sata cable through the commander pro?

Otherwise I would be using 3 sata cables just for the 2 fan hubs and commander pro? :eek:

Thanks a lot ;)

PS: I already received the 570x and it's so nice...:biggrin:

Hi buddy..

for me its easier to run it all through Link where i also have control of the cooler. obviously your set up is different so not sure what to advise as i dont know how your Mobo fan control works. go for the easiest to control option is my advice.

and yeah every one needs a sata power connection along with node pro/commander pro.. the RGB Fan LED Hub just connects to the commander/nodes led channels,.. both node and commander use a usb connection to you mobo.. hope that makes sense duder

Hi buddy..

for me its easier to run it all through Link where i also have control of the cooler. obviously your set up is different so not sure what to advise as i dont know how your Mobo fan control works. go for the easiest to control option is my advice.

and yeah every one needs a sata power connection along woth node pro/commander pro.. the RGB Fan LED Hub just connects to the commander/nodes led channels,.. both node and commander use a usb connection to you mobo.. hope that makes sense duder

Makes complete sense, I'll decide when I try the Bios.

Wow...hope my PSU has enough for them all and for the SSD too.

Thank you very much Zotty ;)

No probs bud... what PSU you got?. Running an Rm850i my self and link reports its very relaxed about life lol

As enough I meant enough sata connectors (number of) not Wattage haha

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/~/media/6516DC9A58B54FF997A26DD40FF52EB9.ashx

56.jpg

3 for the RGB Hub and commander plus one for the SSD (4 in total).

Does the 570x also need one?

I ordered a RM750x. Think more than enough for a 1920x and a GTX1070.

Thanks man!

Yeah I'd say your good to go bud....

;) Super

To add... If you can afford it.. get a premium psu cable kit... so much easier to work with than the standard ribbon types that come with the psu....makes managent so much easier

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/premium-individually-sleeved-psu-cable-kit-pro-package-type-4-generation-3-red-black

Buf it's quite a lot of money just for the cables. Costs almost as much as the PSU... (and the color...:sigh!:)

;) Super

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/premium-individually-sleeved-psu-cable-kit-pro-package-type-4-generation-3-red-black

Buf it's quite a lot of money just for the cables. Costs almost as much as the PSU... (and the color...:sigh!:)

yep very true buddy :(.. i did watch out for a secondhand set on Fleabay my self. got the full kit in my desired colors for £45 :)

IksrHqEh.jpg

The Front panel header kit was 6 quid off of Fleabay and i made the usb header one up from another of the front panel kits but swapped pins into a 9pin female usb header housing..

yep very true buddy :(.. i did watch out for a secondhand set on Fleabay my self. got the full kit in my desired colors for £45 :)

IksrHqEh.jpg

The Front panel header kit was 6 quid off of Fleabay and i made the usb header one up from another of the front panel kits but swapped pins into a 9pin female usb header housing..

It looks really nice! And probably much easier to arrange than with the normals...but Im more worried about how to arrange the cables from the 2 RGB Hubs and the commander pro :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

Where did you install and how your commander pro?

Thanks dude ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Zotty,

I'm having a doubt now mounting my pc.

Is it better to connect the PSU (750i) to the usb on the commander pro or direct to the motherboard in a usb channel? Is there a diference?

Thanks and merry christmas ;)

Hi Zotty,

I'm having a doubt now mounting my pc.

Is it better to connect the PSU (750i) to the usb on the commander pro or direct to the motherboard in a usb channel? Is there a diference?

Thanks and happy holidays ;)

Mine is hooked up to my commander pro buddy

Archived