Corsair Community

2 CMFSSD-128D1 Drives not being detected

ispano

I'm well aware that if the drives aren't being detected in numerous systems, AHCI or IDE mode, that they are most likely dead.

My question is this:

I got these drives second hand, the company I work for buys returns and other bulk skids of product from companies like Dell/CDW/PC Connection/etc. We got in 2 X32's(Both work fine, and updated to 2.0 FW), these 2 X128's(which are of course not detected) and 2 X256's(One made me cry, looks like someone took a hammer to it. The other has 1.0 firmware somehow, so I emailed Ramguy@corsairmemory.com as stated in another thread) Now, since these are second hand, i'm guessing there is no warranty support for them. Which is fine, for what I paid, just the other 3 drives came cheap. But still, if there's the possibility, it would be nice.

Thanks

/facepalm

I saw that button too, didn't even think to check it. Thanks

Mmm Paperweights

Edit:

And I was hoping at least one would work, so I could replace my 2 X-25E's in RAID0 with something that had TRIM.

Does Corsair offer paid repair services perhaps?

I've already opened the case up on both of them, out of warranty and no paid repair, so why not? Just looking if anything was damaged or whatnot, but all seems ok physically. Even the little LED inside the case on the board, lights up when it gets power. But honestly, i'm not all too worried if I cannot get anything done, however I would like to somehow get this X256 drive updated to whichever firmware supports trim for it, as it's on 1.0 firmware. I've already emailed you about this a few times. AFAIK, these are supposed to come with 1.1 or higher already, and that the firmware updater for them was taken down, giving me no other recourse atm.

Yes, the X Series have a sticky dedicated to the firmware update.

HOWEVER, the firmware for the X256 Drives was taken off before I ever visited this site. The issue with that is the drive I have is 1.0 firmware, according to that page, that firmware shows TRIM in CrystalDiskInfo, but it does not work. As such I need a firmware update for it, be it 1.1 or 2.0 or whatever it is. This is all stuff i've told you in emails, but maybe this will help. The X32, X64 and X128 drives all have the firmware on that page, if you look however, the X256 does not. It was taken off due to the drive having supposed to have 1.1 already and upgrading to 2.0 is pointless for them, because it's pretty much the same thing. But this drive does not have 1.1, it has 1.0, so again, I need the update.

And when I said I opened the case, I meant I opened the metal casing on the drives, no warranty to break by doing so, so might as well see if it's a problem I can see visually.

But either way, I would like to use this X256, but for what i want to use it for, TRIM is highly desirable, and as such, I cannot use it as is.

EDIT: This is what i'm referring to.

5. X-256 Owners: Firmware 1.1 ON X-256 DRIVES SUPPORTS TRIM AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE UPDATED TO HAVE TRIM SUPPORT! X-256 firmware 1.1 is the same as the 2.0 firmware on X128, X64, and X32. The 2.0 update adds no additional functionality or performance to the X-256 and therefore the drive should NOT be updated using this update. The update files for the X-256 have been removed."

I bolded and underlined the part im getting at, I cannot update this drive to use TRIM, because the files were removed due to, supposedly, these drives coming with 1.1 or better, which this drive did not.

This is Crystal showing 1.0 firmware on the drive.

http://ispano.mine.nu/files/ssd.jpg

My apologies if this seems like im attacking you, but I find it rather difficult to deal with having to explain something more than once or twice, when I figured what I was asking was pretty obvious.

EDIT: Annnnd it seems secure erasing the drives cut its capacity in half, hooray -_-

EDIT: NM, fixed it. Screenshot updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, finally got around to trying to update the drive and I get

[ERROR]Firmware Download Fail!

Feh, guess there's not much I can do at this point.

EDIT: Is it possible the drive is already on a firmware such as 1.1 or 2.0 but is showing 1.0?

I was reading up on the error and some other manufacturers had an issue like that. Where the drive was on the newer firmware already, but still showed the previous.

• Corsair Employee
Before you run the firmware update try and hot plug the drive, IE leave it at the application but not running or booted to DOS but do not run the application then disconnect the power then the data wait about a min then reconnect the data then the power and run the flash utility. When it boots to the flash utility just hit the F-5 Key to bypass start up files.

Before you run the firmware update try and hot plug the drive, IE leave it at the application but not running or booted to DOS but do not run the application then disconnect the power then the data wait about a min then reconnect the data then the power and run the flash utility. When it boots to the flash utility just hit the F-5 Key to bypass start up files.

Now why didn't "I" think of that -_-

I have to do that for some of my other SSDs to be able to secure erase them, you'd think I would try it.

But yeah, that worked, much thanks!

Archived