Corsair Community

PC shutdown when gaming, unstable HX1000W?

n2k

Hey,

I bought my first HX1000W in September of 2009, at the end of 2011 I decided to buy several upgrades to my PC (see my above for detailed specs).

When I got everything up and running I went on to do some benchmarks of which one was Heaven (v2.5 at the time) and I experienced PC shutdowns. After a lot of testing all the hardware parts I came to the conclusion that the PSU was unstable and I requested an RMA. It got approved and a week later they shipped a new HX1000W unit (received at the start of February 2012). After installing the new PSU, I went and reran the Heaven benchmark and it didn't shutdown anymore. So this problem was solved!

Now a year later I experience the same with this unit but only when I try to overclock my GPU's using overvolting. The PC shuts down entirely when running Crysis 3 using an overvolt of +0.036 volt on both GPU's. When running factory overclock (no overvolt) it runs fine.

I'm pretty sure this PSU should be able to hold my system, but I'm unsure about if I can get another RMA considering this specific problem, hence my post here.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

3.3V Voltage is showing (fluctuating between) these numbers: +3.312v, +3.320, +3.328, +3.344)

5V Voltage is +5.120v (not fluctuating)

12V Voltage is showing (fluctuating between) these numbers: +12.096v, +12.192v

these look fine to me?

Yeah, they look fine. But it's still pretty cut and dry. One PSU works,one doen't. Have it replaced. Just use the link on the left to request an RMA. If you have your previous RMA number handy you might want to explain that you have had it replaced once already..

Hmm I agree, and those readings in the bios aren't while gaming, I guess I'll request an RMA. Just gotta figure out where to get a temp PSU in the mean time :D

The only number I can find is (+1) 510 657 8747 for international technical support, this will cost me €1.27 per minute :)

Is there no European number I can contact to arrange Express Replacement, or through the RMA / ticket system ?

Thanks peanutz94 for the Skype suggestion, it really was the solution I was looking for!

5 days ago I called CS and requesting Express Replacement it got approved and today a new HX1050 arrived (I'll send my old HX1000 back tomorrow).

I have one issue with the HX1050 compared to the HX1000 which is the PSU fan spin up when gaming (exactly the same as described in this thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116471), also there's a slight coil whine.

The thing that annoys me is when not that much load is put on my graphic cards (fairly simple games for example) the fan of the PSU is A LOT louder than my dual GPU (MSI GTX 580 Lighting XE in SLI). It seems to me that when going from silent (psu fan not spinning) to system load (based on internal PSU temperatures probably) the fan spins up to 100% and then slowly drops back down to an acceptable level (noise wise) and keep the PSU cool enough. So there are times the fan stops and then 30 seconds later is spins up to 100% again and this will repeat itself. I suppose there's no such thing as adjusting the fan curve for the PSU? (NOTE: I don't mind it being loud while doing heavy games, as both my GPU's are loud as well).

*Edit:

After contacting CS it all worked out, and I have to say Corsair really has the best Customer Support!

Archived