Corsair Community

Cloning Neutron GTX Fails ("UDV: Error Code")

feline1

Hi, I have a Corsair Neutron GTX SSD (it's the C: drive in my WIndows 8.1 desktop)

Today I installed the Corsair SSD Toolbox (1.2.2.3).

I am trying to use it to make a clone of my Neutron GTX.

I've got a blank (unpartitioned) USB 3 external drive attached to clone it onto, but the process fails after about 4% completion saying "Cloning Failed: [uDS:ResultCode.[uDV:ErrorCode]]"

er, what? That looks to me like it hasn't been able to retrieve any strings to populate the error code dialog.

fail.png.45acb9a9e98ce6dfcf366dfd369a36dc.png

Corsair software and Windows 8.1 are not a good match, it usually requires the end user to make edits of registries for it to work properly. The toolbox is really only good for updating the SSD firmware, beyond that there are still issues.

I would remove the Corsair Toolbox and make a Custom Refresh Image from inside Windows 8.1 via CMD prompt. This is the most efficient way to achieve what you're trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the reply!

Sadly the only reason I ended up trying the Corsair Toolbox is because Windows 8.1 refuses to make a system image of my Corsair drive (my C: drive). The system image always fails midway through, and the error message says to run CHKDSK /R

Every time I run CHKDSK, it finds no errors and says there's no problem.

On the Microsoft forums, people suggested trying the drive vendor's own tools....

So, I tried Corsair's own tool. It fails to make an image and it fails to update the drive firmware. Ho hum.

There's nothing to indicate my drive has any problems (e.g. all the SMART data is green), but for piece of mind I would like to make a system image. I have totally failed so far.

Windows 8.1 won't allow System Image unless it's connect to a network server or USB removable device. It has to be configured under the restore utilities before it will allow to create a System Image (under file history).

The most efficient way would be to use the cmd prompt, this will create a custom refresh image in place of the Windows 8.1 image (same as System Image can be created).

Here's the process from cmd prompt

Recimg.exe command-line tool.

To do this, follow these steps:

1.Create a destination folder for the custom image. For example, create a folder named "Refreshimage" on drive C.

2.Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, follow these steps:

•On the Start page, type cmd, press and hold or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click Run as administrator.

3.Type the following command, and then press Enter:

recimg -CreateImage drive:\folder

For example, if you create "C:\Refreshimage" in step 1, run the following command:

recimg -CreateImage C:\Refreshimage

Note The Recimg command registers the custom image that is used to refresh the Windows 8 PC.

Um, I've looked into this - that command line tool creates a "refresh image" for Windows 8.x

This contains Windows system files and Windows Store apps.

That's not what I'm trying to achieve: I want to clone a system image of my entire C: drive - the whole lot, including all desktop apps and their settings etc etc.

(i.e. basically, something that I can use if my C: drive goes kaput, as a much quicker way of getting my system back than reinstalling Windows from scratch and all my applications).

You had said the " Custom Refresh Image " is of no use to you ?

Custom Refresh Images create a Snapshot or Image of the Operating system when the Refresh Image is created just like the Windows 7 System Image tool. System needs approximately 6-8 GB for the image created in a wim file.

In Windows 8.1 the program files are called " Apps ".

System images is Windows 7 technology (it's like using a HDD in place of a SSD).

We seem to be a bit at crossed purposes here.

What I am trying to do is "clone" my SSD drive. That means you get a copy of the entire filesystem structure. If the drive dies, you can recreate it by plonking the system image onto a new blank disc.

That is what I presume the Corsair tool was offering to do, and is what the Windows 'Volume Copy Shadow Service" does (accessed via the Control Panel > File History > System Image in Windows 8.x)

Other third party tools such as Acronis use the same VCSS service to do the same thing.

The "refresh windows" option that you are referring to merely re-installs your Windows system files and Windows store Apps if they've gotten corrupted.

I think it will be easier for you to purchase Acronis for your system image.

Yes, i'm quite aware of Windows 7 System image and Windows 8.1 Refresh image (recovery image). You have a portion correct that Windows 8.1 Refresh image unaltered will just refresh windows files and store apps. However with a custom image it will saving an entire image of the system including all program files and any configuration of OS made after the initial install.

Most people aren't familiar with the recovery tools built into Windows 8.1, especially if you're coming from Windows 7.

However with a custom image it will saving an entire image of the system including all program files and any configuration of OS made after the initial install.

Yes, that is what I am trying to do! It fails. I get an error about "I/O errors" and "Run CHKDISK /R" but it never finds any errors.

I have a mammoth never-ending thread-that-refuses-to-die about it on the Microsoft forums at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/windows-81-system-image-backup-of-c-drive-fails/

Someone there suggested that CHKDSK was getting confused by the SSD drive firmware, so that's why I tried to use Corsair's own tool to clone the drive - but that fails too! (Hence this thread)

I think it will be easier for you to purchase Acronis for your system image.

It makes no difference - Acronis is basically just a custom GUI front end for the same Windows VCSS service that the Control Panel > File History > System Image uses. So I get the same error message with Acronis.

But the error message only says whatever the string the developer who programmed it told it to say.

In this case, the error message string is clearly wrong (as CHKDSK finds no problems).

The system is showing no problems whatsoever, which it would be doing if there genuinely was a major I/O error on the motherboard when it talks to the C: drive!

There may be an error on the Corsair SSD - that's why I'm here! Corsair's "TOOLBOX" is totally flippin' useless. Both the clone and the firmware update fail with no explanation.

Pretty sure there's no malware - I regularly do a full scan with two different checkers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived