Corsair Community

Asus P5WD2 Premium, Pentium D 830, 1GB ValueSelect DDR2-533

kenicheema

Motherboard: Asus P5WD2 Premium

CPU: Pentium D 830

RAM: 2x1GB ValueSelect DDR2-533 (VS1GB533D2)

According the Corsair compatibility search results, this RAM is compatible with this motherboard. But after purchasing the both items, i can't get the motherboard to boot and all leads point to the problem with the RAM.

The motherboard user manual stated that this board does not support double-sided x16 memory modules. Is this RAM a double-sided x16 modules? Is there anything else i have to do to get this to work?

Note: when i boot up, there's power to the board but nothing on the screen. the only components connected are video card, cpu, and ram.

If the Corsair compatibility chart includes that RAM for your MOBO you can be certain that Corsair tested it. Could you please list your complete system specifications including your PSU brand and model with a link to the specifications. The most common reason for these new MOBOs not to boot is an inadequate PSU. Also, have you tried booting with a single stick after resetting the CMOS?

Good luck, Mike.

Mike,

Thanks for the response.

Yes I have tried rebooting with one stick after resetting the CMOS.

Here's the system specs:

PSU: Antec TruePower 2.0 480W specs

CPU: Intel Pentium D 830 (Dual Core 3.0 Ghz)

Mobo: Asus P5WD2 Premium

Ram: 2xVS1GB533D2

Video: Sapphire Radeon X600 Pro 256MB DDR

That's all of the components connected at this time. I can't get into the BIOS since I can't even get any Post. I don't get any beep code with the RAM installed, but I can force the beep code by removing all DIMMS.

I have tried:

- reseting the CMOS

- single and double stick

- different ram slots

- 3 different video cards (1 PCI and 2 PCI-E)

It sounds like you have tried most of the conventional troubleshooting ideas. I have 2 more ideas to try.

1. Can you remove the MOBO from the case and place it on a non-conductive surface then try to boot it?

2. It is possible that the MOBO shipped with a bios that does not include your CPU microcode. Do you have access to a single core socket 775 CPU? Or, is there a competent local computer shop that could possibly post the MOBO and flash to the latest bios for you?

If these fail it sounds as if you have a DOA component in there somewhere. I assume that you have tried booting with both sticks singly, not just 1? If so, I would, for now, rule out the RAM as I doubt you got 2 bad sticks.

If you can have the RAM and CPU tested in another system or by a shop that would be a great help. Also, if the RAM tests OK, there are some great guys over at the House of MOBOs that may be able to help some.

Good luck, Mike.

• 4 months later...
Was this ever resolved? I am building a similar system.

I have not seen the original poster reply here. That "usually" indicates that the memory was not the problem or he would have ended up back here. My guess is that is was still power related. So, make sure you get a high quality PSU that has a high rating and a heavy duty 12v rail.

Mike.

Not to jack the thread, but I was thinking of getting the Enermax Noisetaker 600W to feed this system. My understanding is that the Liberty edition had modular cables (which is not desirable; except from a cosmetic point of view). Any feedback?

The Enermax 600w model should do fine. I don't know about the modular model but, I have a modular Ultra PSU. I got it on a rebate deal and I would not try to run a newer system with it. However, the modular cables are very convenient and tidy. They help with air flow also if you can minimize the number of cables. I have 2 Enermax PSUs (485w and 535w) and I am VERY happy with them. Rock solid on heavily loaded socket 775 P4 systems.

Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived