Corsair Community

SD17NTE

Hi

I am confused right now as I'm going back and forth between corsair on Facebook and discord

now my set up case is Corsair 680x

and the fans I will be using will be

3x QL120 for the front

2x QL140 for the bottom

2x QL120 for the top with the AIO

And 1xQL 140 for the exhaust

and corsair RGB strips

Now the only diagram close was this one to help me wire this up was …..

a6R6hn6.thumb.jpg.845c1d955832d0b5cb69a09b8deadaf3.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=38001&d=1588369730

so I asked the question to corsair on Facebook but was taking a long time to get back to me so I found a corsair chat on discord who explained I should use the commander pro with the Node core

but then corsair got back to me and said this is incorrect I need to use the RGB hub with the commander pro

But everyone I ask says that the QL is to power full for the RGB hub if I'm running like 6 can anyone help me please

So do I use the commander pro with the RGB hub with my QL fans and Strips

or

do I use the commander pro with the node CORE with my QL fans and strips

Edited by SD17NTE

Each RGB fan has two wires -- one for fan power and one for lighting power. The fan power I am sure you understand. The lighting aspect is further broken into two parts.

1) Software Interface/controller (Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro)

2) Lighting power supply (RGB Lighting Hub)

The lighting hub is the small 6 port matchbox sized block with a SATA cable. It then attaches to the C-Pro or LNP.

However, this where things get more complicated. If you don't have any prior Corsair RGB fans (ML, LL, HD) you likely do not have a RGB Lighting Hub. With the QL, they have done something different and combined a single channel LNP + RGB Hub into one device that looks like a big RGB Hub. It's called the Lighting Node Core and this is what was in the box with the QL multi-packs.

Assuming you only have the Core(s) to work with, you need to break the 8 QL fans into two groups (4+4, 6+2) or however you want to them to be paired. Each group will act independently for most things or at least require you to set the same lighting pattern for each group. Most people will opt for the 6 + 2 with the "2" belonging solely to the bottom fans. This can always be changed later by moving the lighting wires to a different Core.

Each Core has its own USB 2. These will go into the Commander Pro's 2 USB passthrough ports (or anywhere else you have one). The Cores communicate via that link and do not use the normal RGB channels. That leaves both open on the Commander. 1 channel can take the strips. The LNP will not be used in this build and you will still have one lighting channel left over.

Thank you for your reply@c-attack. it was a lot of information and I will try and understand more as I'm new to pc building

now as you know I have

now my set up case is Corsair 680x

and the fans I will be using will be

3x QL120 for the front

2x QL140 for the bottom

2x QL120 for the top with the AIO

And 1xQL 140 for the exhaust

and corsair RGB strips

and the commander pro

so do I copy the diagram and use

commander pro with RGB hub for the QL

OR

do I use the commander pro with then node CORE

as people are saying the RGB hub wont be able t handle to power that the fans need

It is important to distinguish between the Corsair RGB Lighting Hub and the Lighting Node Core. They look very similar, but are for entirely different set-ups. Part of the reason you may be getting conflicting information is because each device requires a different arrangement.

Corsair RGB Lighting Hub - It has the word Corsair written in white and is about the size of your thumb. You shouldn't have any of these unless they are from prior fan kits or the LL series on the case. You will need more than 1, so unless you have a second, this method if installing is out - at least for now.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020

Corsair Lighting Node Core - twice the size of the RGB Hub (two thumbs), but with a black sails logo. This is what was in the QL multi-packs.

1) That diagram does not work for your set-up because you have more than 6 fans (the maximum per RGB hub or Core device). You need 2 or in a worse case scenario 1 of each, but it would be better to avoid that.

2) The Commander Pro will handle the fan power and speed control. You will need a pair of 2 way PWM splitters for a few to share.

3) The QL fan lighting goes into Core devices. It will take 2 of these, which then connect back to the Commander Pro via USB 2 - not the RGB channel cord.

4) There will not be a Lighting Node Pro in this. The Commander can take the RGB strips into one of its 2 RGB channels. Both will be available because the QL will use the USB ports instead.