Corsair Community

Corsair CMFSSD-64N1

JUGGY

I have just aquired one of these as my first SSD. A gift from a friend.

What I would like to know is before I install Windows 7 on it is there a firmware update or anything I should know or do to prep the drive before I do anything with it?

There is no way for a user to update the firmware on any Corsair SSD at this time. They are working on it.

Don't full format it.

So absolutely nothing needs to be done not even the HDDErase tool?

Pardon the silly questions, I'm very new to SSD's.

• Corsair Employee
I would just connect it to another system and Quick format the drive and then test the performance with Atto to be sure it is performing properly. And I would only use HDD Erase if there was some reason to like the performance was poor.

Thanks for all the help.

The M64 is slow so I've upgraded to the 256GB PM800 Samsung that I believe is the same as the P256 Corsair.

Am I right in assuming that?

Also, I have firmware revision VBM94D1Q on the drive, is there an update and if so where can I get it?

Don't full format it.

I am new to SSD too and just bought me a P256 - Firmware on the label says VBM18C1Q which I understand is the latest. The drive is waiting for Windows 7 to come out and I already did a full NTFS format. I did that to see if the drive is working and be prepared for the install of Win7x64.

Why do you recommend not doing a full format? Since I did that already, what do you suggest to do? I know TRIM is not supported but this drive with the latest firmware is doing a internal "Samsung TRIM" at an idle state.

Thank you for your answer.

I wouldn't worry about having done a full format - the important thing is "how" you did the full format. Did you put the drive in as a secondary drive and format it from an already operating OS or did you format the drive as a primary (as though you were going to install a new OS) and if it is the former what OS were you using to format the drive?

The reason for the questions is a concern over alignment. To be honest with you what I would do when you get Windows 7 (which is what I will be doing) is the following:

Disconnect all other drives from your SATA ports (except your CD drive of course) - put your SSD onto SATA port 1 and your CD on to the very last SATA port (if you have six ports put it on 6)

Run the install of Windows 7 from your CD and when you get to the part where it asks you which drive you want to install on click on the Advanced Disk Options and delete any partitions you see.

Highlight the unallocated space and click next and let Windows 7 do its business. It will create whatever partitions it needs, align them correctly and format them for you and then begin the install process.

In about 15/20 minutes you will have Windows 7 installed and working. You can then reconnect all your other drives working backwards from the port your CD drive is connected to (i.e. 5,4,3,2).

Check that Windows 7 has turned off Defrag (goto to Computer Management in control panel and select services, defrag should be shown as on Manual). Whilst in there you can turn off Superprefetch and Windows Search if you wish (windows 7 should turn off Superprefetch, but it doesn't recognise all SSDs).

I'm busy compiling a Tweaks and Recommendations list to further improve performance and to keep your drive sweet; should be finished by the time Windows 7 releases :-)

We are simply saying if you bought another SSD from another company that does not have our label we cannot help or give assistance. Sorry about that.

I understand, your support and help process is so much better though.

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here....

I wouldn't worry about having done a full format - the important thing is "how" you did the full format. Did you put the drive in as a secondary drive and format it from an already operating OS or did you format the drive as a primary (as though you were going to install a new OS) and if it is the former what OS were you using to format the drive?

The reason for the questions is a concern over alignment.

Thank you for your reply. I did the format as a secondary drive from my current OS which is Win7 x64.

What is the concern over alignment?

I still hope that before Win7 is released to the public we are able to get a new improved firmware for the P256, either sending the drive in for upgrade or even better, do it ourselves. I know, unfortunately, this is not possible yet upgrading the firmware at home.

Spot on formatting from Windows 7. If your drive is not aligned properly then it will have a severe impact on performance; it may also lead to fle system corruption down the line and potential data loss. Windows 7 will have aligned the drive correctly.

The reason for not doing a full format is that this writes to every single cell on the drive, which is not a good idea when we're trying to extend the life of the drive. Once is OK but multiple formats will just shorten the life of the drive. A quick format leaves the data on the drive without touching any of the other cells and just removes the file allocation table data that tells the drive where everything is.

You "might" get a firmware update before Windows 7 retail is launched but if not then it should be soon after if Samsung delivers.

Archived