Corsair Community

Inconsistent ML120 Pro Max RPM

AlexIvo

Hi all,

I have a total of six ML120 Pro RGB fans in my build - two attached to the H100i cpu block fan header, and four as case fans controlled by a Commander Pro + RGB Fan Hub.

If I make a 100% fan curve in the 'Performance' tab of the H100i device and apply it to these two ML120 Pro fans, their maximum RPM reads ~1700 in iCUE.

If I apply a 100% fan curve to the four case fans via the Commander Pro, two of the fans read a maximum RPM also ~1700, and the other two show a maximum RPM ~2400.

Any chance the tachometer reading for these 'faster' fans is incorrect? They do appear to be spinning faster, with noticeably more air movement and increased noise.

If not, why do all six fans not have the same maximum RPM, within the slight error of the tachometer reading? A discrepancy of ~700 RPM suggests something other than software/tachometer misreporting?

Cheers.

EDIT: So the ML PRO RGB Fans that come with the H100i Platinum apparently aren't the same as the ML PRO RGB Fans that you can buy separately.

In my infinite wisdom I mixed the fans up and mounted the H100i fans as 'case fans', and two 'case fans' as radiator fans. The 2400 rpm fans should be on the radiator.

It might be useful if it specified somewhere when you purchase the fans separately that they're NOT identical to the ones that share their name and ship with Platinum-series coolers...

Edited by AlexIvo

You should have been here for the SP, SP LED, SP-L, and SP-RGB days... I am afraid esoteric naming conventions are par for the course in this business. What would help a lot is if those high speed Platinum ML-RGB were available for purchase as a retail item. Then it would need to have its own SKU# and tag. I think the for the most part we refer to them as ML-RGB High Speed and the standard ML-RGB as the "Quiet", but yes there is a lot of details to navigate.

• 1 month later...
I kind of have the same issue, I have a total of 8 ml120 fans 6 for case and 2 for CPU (replaced the original fan with ml120). when i set my fans to 100% rpm (in ICUE), it only goes to roughly 1600 when as per my knowledge ml120 can go up to 2400RPM. am i missing something?

What would help a lot is if those high speed Platinum ML-RGB were available for purchase as a retail item. Then it would need to have its own SKU# and tag.

They are available for purchase (as replacement parts) and do have their own SKU (CW-8960057).

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Cooling/Hydro-Series-H100i-RGB-Platinum-Replacement-Fan%2C-120mm%2C-2400RPM/p/CW-8960057

Yes, sorry dumb question, how do i know which one is mine, i kind of bought mine separately:

2 pcs 3 fans in 1 box (the one that includes lighting node) and,

2 pcs 1 fan in 1 box

total of 8

I can't tell from that. If they are RGB fans you didn't dive deep into the recesses of the Corsair spare parts store to find the high speed Platinum replacement fans, they are almost certainly the normal 1600 rpm model. The ones that come with a LNP are certainly the RGB 1600 rpm model.

Guessing from your description, you might be running an older H100i GTX/v2 cooler that got a fan update. If they are not RGB, they most likely max out at 2400, unless they came from a H150i cooler.

Regardless of the above, anything past 1600 is pretty loud - headphones or not. Most people don't need to go about 1500 rpm unless they are really close to a thermal limit on something.