Corsair Community

choice of psu

flipporabasta

• 8 months later...

OK, I realize it is an old thread, but I'm in the exact same situation, and I'm trying to choose between the RM550X and the RM650X-2018. With the estimated 420W usage maximum, the RM550X seems great. It is even that ever so slightly more efficient in the 420W range, but it is minuscule.

I'm wondering though, for noise, will the RM650X be slightly quieter, since it isn't operating at the same 80% level as the RM550X, it is closer to 65%? Would the difference in operating levels end up having any realistic impact on PSU lifespan? Meaning if the 550 will last for 12 years and the 650 will last for 12.5 years, that isn't going to convince me to go with the 650.

I greatly appreciate any help from the experts here, as it is my first posting on the forum:!:

You also have a bit more headroom for future upgrades with the 650 than you do with the 550.

I was thinking of this aspect too, as just replacing a video card can boost the usage by 100W. And of course the Corsair power supply will still be working a decade from now.