Corsair Community

ML120 Pro Red connected only to CHA_FAN

martinmdq

Hi folks,

I couldn't find anywhere a single SP120RGB fan to add as a rear (exhaust) fan to my case, so unless there's any other issue besides the one I describe next with the ML120 line of fans, I'm going with one of those.

After some research I now know that the ML line of fans isn't compatible with SP line of fans controller hub -- the ones that came pre-installed with my 460x; it's kind of sad but no at biggy at the end of the day, given how good this magnetic fan is.

So my question is: I shouldn't have any problem connecting the ML120 to any of the fan connectors on the motherboard, correct?

Thanks!

Hello You can order the fan direct from Corsair here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/AF-LED-Low-Noise-Cooling-Fan/p/CO-9050083-WW you can get them in a single or 3 pack. (drop down box there to select what you want).

The 460x comes with one AF140L red LED and one AF120L fan. These should match up just get the correct size.

If you decide to get a ML120 Pro it can hook up to the fan header on the motherboard no problem.

newfiend~

Edited by newfiend

Any of the ML-series fans will have speed control from your standard motherboard header as long as it is PWM. Nearly all are dual DC/PWM these days.

The original SP120 RGB fans were the first multi-RGB issue along with the HD series. Both came with controllers, but with DC vs PWM motors and vastly different LED counts, they were never going to work together. Later RGB fans ML, LL, and now QL are all PWM but require the software lighting controller. While you can physically combine those into the same controller, it won't work as expected since everything is still based on the LED unit count (ML=4, HD=12, LL=16, QL=35!!). Also be aware the new SP120 Pro is a DC motor, but its 8 LED count and a few other things will keep it from working on the same controller as the original that came with the case.

I am not seeing a lot of open market SP120 RGB, since they have effectively been replaced by the Pro version. Product page at Corsair suggests they are out as well. You can get the higher speed ML Pro series in black if that's what you want. You could also pick up the RGB version and not connect the RGB wire if you thought you might change out the front fans. There are also some ML Pro LED (single color) fans around if white/red/blue is appealing. The LED version get their lighting power on the PWM power line, just like prior generation LED fans. No controller needed.

Edited by c-attack

Well, this seems the kind of useful advice I can make use of, and also a hint I still have a lot of stuff to learn while building a high-performance computer by myself.

Thanks for the thorough explanation, AF120 Quiet Edition indeed seems to be the correct choice here.

Be aware the AF-LED series is like all LED fans were just a few years ago --- voltage controlled. This means the LED will dim with a decrease in speed and only reach maximum brightness at 100%/12v. When your entire case was full of these, everything was the same and you adapt. Your SP-RGB voltage controlled fans get their lighting from the controller in back and are always at peak luminescence. That is going to create a good deal of contrast between front and back. The ML-LED was one of the first PWM LED fans and thus the always 12v supply keeps the lighting at the same level, regardless of fan speed. That may have some value for you.