Corsair Community

Help with Hydro H60

ilike2nut

Hello, I'm new so my fault if this isn't the right place.

Anyways I fell victim to people saying that I should play around with upgrading parts because it's easy (it's not), and I bought a Hydro H60 liquid cooling thing.

It was hell to assemble, but I think I got it in and now the computer is running but:

1) When I look on the HP command center it says it's at 90 degrees C and the only thing I have on is a youtube tab for music (Doja Cat - Say So since I know y'all are gonna ask for specs). HWMonitor reflects this, it's in the high 90s and I haven't launched anything. It was at 50 before when nothing was on. I can feel the fan nearby, everything very cold.

2) It makes an insane amount of noise. I feel like my computer is about to take off. The worst is when it randomly speeds up; I dont know if I'm supposed to stop everything I'm doing out of fear. (I tried attaching a video but y'all ain't having that).

Anyways. Hydro H60, computer is brand new, less than 2 weeks old (it's this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-gaming-intel-core-i7-9700-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-ssd-shadow-black/6349466.p?skuId=6349466 ).

Please help.

screen.thumb.png.eced081e882e49028ebbbf7b9b05e4e4.png

It's difficult to diagnose cooler install issues from this side, but your best bet is to analyze how the CPU changes to point toward the problem.

1) If you turn on the PC and can watch the CPU temp tick upwards in slow but steady chunks (40...45...50..55...70..80..90, etc) you probably have a cooler issue with some kind of flow problem. The temp will not come down until you power off the machine for several hours. The coolant can't get to the radiator and can't release its heat. In the BIOS, make sure CPU_FAN or wherever you connected the pump's MB connector is set to 100% or "disabled". The pump needs that full 12v signal all the time.

2) The other potential problem is a "contact problem" between CPU and the cold plate of the pump. If you can boot into Windows OK, but the CPU temps seem really jumpy and way too high for light work. An example of this would be you load up OK, open your temp monitoring and it seems a little high for idle (mid 40s). Then you open a folder, web browser, or any program and the CPU temp instantly spikes to 80C before then dropping back to 40C a moment later. This is the CPU taking massive leaps and the voltage is applied and removed at the socket. If you don't make good physical contact between CPU and cooler, then the heat cannot conduct out of the CPU. I think this is the more likely scenario based on your description.

It's hard to tell you where it went wrong. Make sure you used the proper standoffs for the 115x socket. Make sure the backplate is positioned the right way and you have used the included washers in the right place. These are common areas where things go wrong and this does need to be millimeter perfect.