Corsair Community

Link has NO control over Fan Speeds ?

unit101

Just connected up the Link... very cool product, really dig it.

Running with several Noctua fans... all 3 Pin.

Software seems to have no effect on fan speeds... tried Fixed, Max, Custom no matter what I do the 3 fans just run along as they wish

Fan3 ~1000rpm

Fan2 ~1400-1700 rpm

Fan1 ~1200 rpm

What am I missing ? Shouldn't the Fixed just push the fan voltage up and down to basically change the speed ?

Another issue... wish had some extensions for the temp sensors...

For the price... I think should have included more cable extensions and longer to make routing in case easier.

Thanks....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing issues with fan control as well (all PWM). two identical fans aren't behaving the same at all (1,000 rpm vs 3,000 when both set at max)

Can't seem to control the third.

Have tried moving them to different ports on the fan header as well.

Currently running the two identical PWM fans with my homemade splitter.

They're scaling up and down quite nicely.

Now that I've got it working, I'm quite pleased with the setup. MUCH superior to the BIOS fan control. With some software improvements this will be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem I think the Link can only control PWM fans

the other 3pin fans are doing what they want

I have 3 140mm fans in my case the Thermalright TY-140, one Noctua NF-P14 FLX and a Prolimatech Blue Vortex 140

The Thermalright is a PWM Fan and I can control it like I want

but the other 2 are 3pin fans and they run at about 1000rpm

If I want to set them to a fix rpm like 600 or 800 rpm

they still go their 1000rpm

The only thing I can do is to set them to max rpm

Hi

Modded the temp sensor cables as they are way too short!!!!

used a spare Node link cable

(these are 4 core cables so you can make 2 extended temp sensor extensions)

Ensure that you keep the same cable from the sensor to the plug (polarity)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7677008...in/photostream

http:///www.flickr.com/photos/767700...in/photostream

cheers

Nigel

I suggest mounting the cooling node (small unit the fans and sensors attach to) behind your motherboard mounting plate so it is centrally located. This will make it easier to connect all your fans and sensors and keep the inside of your case looking better.

Stuck mine right on top of the back of the Link commander in an available 5.25" bay converted to 3.5". This put it real close to center and allowed it to reach fairly well with the temp sensors. Still wish there were extensions provided so I could taylor the install with more ease.

• 3 weeks later...
Same issue 7 different fans only two can be controlled, all 3 pin, its the 2 that came with my h100 the other 5 do what they want, ugh problem after problem with this product. Where is the support??? I mean by that not answers but solutions!!! :(:

as quoted in the FAQ's, note there is no mention of specific branded fans:

"What will Corsair Link allow me to do?

The Corsair Link Cooling Node, combined with the Dashboard software, will allow you to customize each and every fan in your system to adjust their RPM under conditions you specify. This provides you with unprecedented control over your system, either using manual settings or based on temperature zones within your system."

I understand that as a corsair employee you are only trying to state what you can and I appreciate the acknowlegement that it is being worked on. However, as it pertains to marketing promises about product capability, please keep in mind these amount to guarantees when described in this manner. Time to get it together. Been a few months. Other software can do it. Other hardware can do it (including my motherboard). Stop the poetic polite replies giving the party line and realize that users taking the time to come to this forumn are, in fact, trying to help you become more profitable. We are the beta testers, you know it, we know it. Talk to us that way. We all want the same thing ironically, you just get paid for it. This is all just a suggestion to help minimize the frustration you are seeing from early adopters of this product because what has happened didn't work and what is happening now isn't working. Post like a normal person with legitimate concern for it and the people will respond with support. Not with a "well it works with our stuff so deal with it until we get around to fixing it" tone. Again, just offering a suggestion.

Ever wonder how many users aren't coming to this forum for help? The issues are clearly identified now and they are not one off's specific to hardware. Some of us have found work arounds and even identified specific reasons for the units not functioning the way they were intended. Fan A works but Fan B does not. Small 3 pin fan works but larger 3 pin fan does not adjust speed. Hint, hint. Well crap if ASUS can make a 140mm 3 pin fan adjust it's speed with the bios maybe we should see how they did it so our stuff can and we can make more money off this product that seems to be in high demand.

Also, might help to add the temp sensor extensions and extra light kits as accessories on your web site. With a product launch that isn't going quite as well as intended, sometimes the little things will by time (and make you more money!) and satisfy users until everything gets going the way it was intended. That is unless you are having supply chain issues too.

Legally this qualifies for a class action suit. False advertisment. To answer you question Ramguy, yes the only fans that adjust speed accordingly are the two that came with the H100, the other 5 "of different sizes do not. How could you possibly ship a product with out testing it with other fans? I know your tech support but don't you, yourself think your development dept is doing a poor job? It's common sense if its a fan controller, then thats what it should do. Im sure that the computers that the development dept have are not shipped with only corsair fans, so right there should give you a idea of the quality of the devlopment team. They should also know that everyone out there will be using other brands of fans, I have all top name brand fans not cheep ones either. Maybe you should include a list of tested and working fans by manafacture. Sadly it would probably only consist of one company, corsair.

I've got 3 COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex PWM fans connected to the link. All run 790-860 rpm; Changing the profiles has no effect; I can change the H80 profile and hear the fans change..

Very frustrating... The very thing I bought the link for it is unable to do...

corsair commander firmware 1.2.0

cooling node: 1.2.0

H80: 1.1.12

lighting: 1.2.0

• Corsair Employee

Kl2amer and robandcathy

Noted and I am sorry but I will pass your concerns and comments on to our Product Manager. ;):

jimnh

As mentioned earlier in this thread it does take a few min for the fan speeds to show or slow down. However we have reported the fans you are using to see if they can be added to the list of fans to be tested.

My cougars are on the cooling node; The fans on H80 are not cougars but spin up/down as expected;

When I put the cougars on the motherboard pwm connectors I can ramp them up and down just fine;

Also I realize it can take some time for the changes to take effect, and have given it several min at times between tests on the cooling node...

• Corsair Employee

robandcathy

The Filter was put in place years ago for another reason which I have explained so many times I don't think its required but will if you really feel its needed..

However, we talked about removing it and it is embedded in the code on the forum so it would be a pain to remove it. However just post the HDD Info if it gets blocked by the filter we can still see so that is all that is important.

In addition, we are looking a lot of Fans now to see what we can do to include support in a future release.

I just installed my Corsair Link today and it has absolutely no control over any of my fans. I have Bitfenix Spectre Pro fans.

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/spectre-pro/

5 attached to the fan controller and 2 attached through my H100.

Nothing I do changes the RPM, they just sit at max (1200) for the most part. If I set it to fixed and set it way low (600-800) I see them randomly drop to 1000RPM once in a while. Very disappointed at the moment.

Firmware

Commander: 1.1.9

H100: 1.1.12

Cooling: 1.1.12

Lighting: 1.1.9

Archived