Corsair Community

8-pin (4+4) ATX12V wont fit in psu

Commonsens

8-pin (4+4) EPS12V cable. One side "type 4" 8 pin and the other side "CPU" 4+4 pin. (came with the PSU)

Problem I have is that i correctly placed the 8-pin EPS12V cable (Type 4 side) into the Mobo (checked twice, on the "type 4" side all squared and round pins are at right place on the mobo and on the "cpu" side pins are not the same) but when you come to plug the CPU side into the PSU the brackets (clip to lock to psu) are too large (because its 4+4 so double brackets).

Thinking I made a mistake and inverted the cable, I took close look into my modo pinout and the cable pinout: the orientation is correct: "type4" side of the cable to motherboard is perfect and the CPU side of the cable is not and thus must go to the psu...but it wont fit!:eek:

What should I do? Cut the extra bracket or invert the cable even if the pins fit but do not match (which scares me to burn out the system)

Please help!!

many thanks in advance!

pics in attachment.

RMx 1000 w and Type 4 Sleeved black 8-pin (4+4) ATX12V/EPS12V Cable

Asus Maximus xi hero

cable1.png.0e841c52fa2f9b8bc7f852fe5c252d3a.png

cable2.png.3ed86ba81c2082bc6e6ffa773f95b6cf.png

mobopower.jpg.a5745bb421dc0cbf21ffc8f771314128.jpg

Edited by Commonsens

Read a bit too fast? LOL! its OK its sunday!:laughing:

Am not talking about 4 pin, am talking about the 8 pin..which is essential.

I guess what is adding confusion is that the cable is 8 pins on one side and 4+4 on the other.

24 pin is a piece of cake

All you should need to do is plug the cpu side into the eatx 12v_1 8 pin port, and then plug the other end into the power supply ports labled 6+2 pci-e & 4+4 cpu. You can tell which end is which as the end for the motherboard has a much wider safety clip than the one that goes to the power supply. The cable in pic labeled cable1 goes to the motherboard. The cable in the pic labeled cable2 goes the power supply.

rm1000x.thumb.jpg.d6444dafd746d73aabbcb1f8851ddb25.jpg

cable1.png.052bd769722d46f8d6e3c1eb11c9b1a5.png

cable2.png.71360c3b42751988d75bb5b924e543f8.png

Edited by acemaninwa871

I know this doesn't seem obvious. But the end of the cabled labled CPU always goes to the motherboard. As that is the cable that provides power to the cpu. The 24 pin cable only powers the motherboard.

You also have a second 4+4 pin cable you can plug into the remaining 4 pin connector. Obviously you would only use have of the 4+4 pin. The second cable may even have the 4+4 pin split, so it's easier to plug in. The orientation is the same, so it should just plug right in. This provides extra power to the cpu and helps share the load.

• Confused 1

Down the road if I overclock, I will add the 4 pin, but since I want to keep at stock level , ill keep the 24 + 8 only configuration.

Couple of things to do before I power up the system for the first time..will definitely leave a post to say how it goes.

absolutely outstanding help, Acemaninwa871

My deep gratitude!

Honestly, it's just easier to plug it in now if you are so inclined. Just makes things easier down the road. And it's not just for overclocking. As I said it helps spread the load to the cpu.

Am very glad I was able to help. Please do post how your first power on goes. Would also love to see a couple pics of your build.

Read a bit too fast? LOL! its OK its sunday!:laughing:

Am not talking about 4 pin, am talking about the 8 pin..which is essential.

I guess what is adding confusion is that the cable is 8 pins on one side and 4+4 on the other.

24 pin is a piece of cake

Sorry bud... let's blame it on the sunday!

Honestly it never happened to me to swap the 2 parts of those cable... :p:

Baio

I'm not trying to compare or anything. But I thought I'd post a pic of my build. I went full crazy and did the corsair hydro x. But really want to see yours too.

AWSOME!

I'd really like very much to grab a Corsair liquid custom loop, but it's so exensive... and with Ryzen 3xxx a custom is less significant for performances, even if it's still for aesthetic!

Baio

Edited by Baio

To me “aesthetics” has not a negative value.

A custom loop can carry significant lower temperatures but different from the past, it rarely means better performances... that’s what I’ve read around about Ryzen 3xxx series.

Agree about GPUs of course... I trying to see if I can reuse an old AIO to cool my 5700XT.

Baio

To me the greatest benefit is not having to control your fans by cpu temp. You now control them via liquid temp. If your cpu is cooler, it will boost higher. Simple as that. So you do get a performance benefit.

Well... that's obvious.

But is the performance improvement Worth the cost?

I don't think so.

Baio