The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Old 06-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403510
Davyboy Reputation: 10

I did load BIOS defaults first, I am not completely clueless you know!!

And the new RAM part number is TR3X3G1333C9...

As for the settings I was testing with last night, they didn't work, I left it Prime Blending overnight, but when I checked this morning it has froze my system after 1 hour 30 minutes...

I am beginning to think the CPU is the one to blame here....

I wish that I had built a Phenom II rig over this piece of junk, I have used AMD processors since Socket A, and I have never had a single problem with any of my AMD rigs, but the first time I build with Intel I get endless headaches...

I am away to rip my system apart right now and get the processor RMA'ed for testing...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403512

Also, as for leaving other RAM settings alone in the BIOS, I usually wouldn't even bother changing any RAM timings in my BIOS, as I have always had a stable system with auto settings in the BIOS...

But when I left everything on auto except for changing the Cas, TRCD, TPR, TRAS settings to the timings stated on my RAM modules that is when I experienced immediate BSOD's, and system lock ups...

That is the only reason that I decided to play around with advanced timings, and it actually did allow me to run Prime95 without it BSOD'ing on my *****...

::edit::

Well, I have stripped the rig down and sent the CPU off to the retailer for testing, I will wait to see if they say whether it is faulty or not, I am really hoping that it is the CPU that is the problem here, as I dont want to have to ship the mobo off as that would mean I have to rip the entire rig down, and that would just be a hassle!

But if I have to do it, then I will have no choice.. but now my gut feeling is telling me that it is a faulty processor that is the cause of these problems...

I will let you guys know how I get on as soon as I find out myself...

Last edited by Davyboy; 06-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 403555
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Yes please do let us know what they say and if you get another CPU or that one back then I would also try setting the memory Voltage to 1.6 Volts and see if that helps and testing the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org will help to show if one is failing or not.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403606

I already tried setting DRAM Voltage to 1.6v... and I really dont see the point in running memtest on each individual module when I already know what the outcome will be...

If this processor gets returned to me with no faults found, then it will be the motherboards turn to be shipped back to the retailer for testing, as I really cant see me having purchased two sets of dodgy RAM, how unlucky would I have to be for that to happen?!?!

Nah, I really do think that it is due to the memory controller on the CPU, I think it has packed in... it will arive at the retailers today, I am hoping that they can start testing today for me... I am also hoping that they find the CPU to be faulty, as I dont want to rip my entire system apart to ship the mobo back for testing...

But if the CPU gets sent back to me with no faults found, then that means the problems lies with the mobo and so I will have to return it...
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM
xpatar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403676
xpatar Reputation: 10

Don't blame intel, is in the lead of performance. While you're waiting check your mobo for bent pins in the cpu socket. While it is difficult to observe keep your mobo from an angle of 45 degrees. Check from every side of your mobo again from an angle of 45 degrees. If everything is ok and your cpu is fine then start from scratch. Disconnect everything from your mobo. And I mean everything. Remove the battery and clear cmos using the corresponding jumper on your mobo. Place back the jumper into the original location and put the battery back. Connect your hardware load setup defaults and start testing. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 403710

I already checked the mobo for bent pins... that was the very first thing that I did before I started the build.. and I have removed the CPU twice since then and checked again for bent pins...

There are no bent pins I can assure you...

Also, what do you mean, dont blame Intel???

I know of 2 people from another forum who purchased i7 D0 Stepping 920's that had bad IMC's... and they purchased them from the same place I got mine.. Had I known this before I would have ordered elsewhere...

The place I purchased from actually build pre overclocked systems/bundles, so that got me thinking, what happens to the processors that don't make it to 4GHz for their bundles??

It was an OEM chip that I purchased, same with the two other people I mentioned with damaged chips...

I talked to the people on Saturday to check see if my CPU had got there safely, which it did, so they should get it tested throughout this week... I am hoping to get my replacement (or my chip if it doesn't turn out to be faulty!) by the end of the week...

I will let you guys know how I get on...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 403805

Yes please do let us know.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 404516

Still no word about my processor yet, I'm starting to get really frustrated now!!!

On the RMA request form they said that it will only take around 5 to 7 days for items to be tested for faults, but they have had my processor for 9 days now, and I called them up on Saturday and the guy said that they have got a lot of items in for testing atm so things are taking a little longer than usual...

And I spoke to another guy yesterday on their support forums, and he told me that he would talk to the technicians today and ask them to put my CPU through if it hadn't already been done..

I am quite dissapointed because of all this, I have been buying items from these guys for quite a while now and I always went back to them because I liked the service there, but after this incident I don't think I will bother purchasing goods from them ever again..

I have only ever had to send 1 thing back for testing in the past and that was an old S939 Gigabyte K8NXP SLi mobo, and I shipped it off on the Saturday and it was returned back to me before the end of the following week, 6 days it took in total, but these guys are starting to take the p*** now!!!

I will keep you informed as to how things go...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 404521

I am sorry about that but maybe if they are that good at taking care of things in the past; they did just as they said and just got more than they can handle. Its up to you and I do understand your frustration.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Davyboy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 405159

Hi again,

OK, I got my CPU back earlier in the week, I am quite annoyed actually, as they found no faults with the CPU at all...

That isn't what is bugging me though, the reason I am frustrated is because they had my CPU for almost 2 weeks, and when I received it back, they had enclosed two screenshots of how they tested it....

All they did was run 32bit Linpack in OCCT for 2 hours 55 minutes which was only utilizing 50% of my processors power, and Prime Small FFT's for 3 hours!!!

Even though I specifically stated that small FFT's would run for days without an issue, and that OCCT 32bit Linpack also worked fine!!!

I also explained in my RMA request, and in several other e-mails after they had received my processor that the problems occured when I tried to run Large In-Place FFT's, Prime Blend, IntelBurnTest and also 64bit Linpack..

I decided to give them a call so that I could talk to the "technician" that done the testing on my processor, and when I told him that it wasn't the tests that he ran that caused my system to crash, he told me that I could return the processor again for more thorough testing!!!

However, when I got the CPU back I installed it into my rig and fired it up, but this time I didn't connect any of the front panel switches/usb/firewire port cables to the mobo, nor did I connect any case fans, and I only hooked up my boot drive just to see if it was a dodgy cable that might have been causing my problems, but again I was faced with the exact same problems as before...

But something else happened just this morning when I went to boot it up..

I pressed TAB when I started my system up so that I could see the POST screen instead of the Gigabyte splash screen, and I noticed that my system was now only seeing 4GB of my 6GB RAM..

So I thought it may have been one of my Dominator modules that had failed on me, so I shutdown the PC and installed my XMS3 3GB set, and the exact same thing happened with them to..

I then removed the module that was installed in the 3rd DIMM channel, and booted up and this time it only recognized 1 module...

So then I put the module back into the 3rd channel and removed the stick from the 1st channel and this time it POST'ed with the 4GB showing...

I then tried installing just 1 module into the white slot on channel 1 and it refuses to POST completely, all my fans spin up, but nothing comes up on my monitor whatsoever, and the debug LED on my mobo reads "b9"...

It does the exact same thing when I try booting up with 1 stick installed in the blue slot on the 1st channel...

But I tried each stick individually in the white slot on channel 2 and the system works fine... well by fine I mean it boots into Windows, however it still crashes when I try to run any stress testing software like it has always done...

So it looks like it was the mobo that has been causing my problems all along.. I am kinda glad in a way that one of the DIMM channels has packed in, because at least I know that there is an actual physical problem there that is causing the issues I have been experiencing...

Got an RMA number for my mobo today, will ship it off tommorow, and hopefully they will have a replacement sent out to me by the end of next week...
Old 06-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 405165

I am glad that you seem to be toward the end of the problems but please do let us know how you make out!

Tags
ga-ex58-ud5, i7, tr3x6g1600c8d