Corsair Community

12 RGB Fan Configuration Guidance

JordanSimpson

Hey Guys!

I've been researching for a while now about how to set up my RGB fans in a new build of mine. I am new to this so please take it easy on me! :laughing:

The build I am thinking about going for includes the H50i pro with 3 LL120 fans (front intake), 4 LL140's (1 Rear and 3 Top exhausts), 5 HD120's (2 Bottom and 3 Side intake - the 3 Side fans might be optional depending on performance) and finally id like to be able to use the RGB LED Strips if possible for around my desk.

I think I found I have found a way to complete this with the help of this forum and in particular @Zotty for his fantastic guide to fans and images!

Below is what I am going for:

attachment.php?attachmentid=36544&stc=1&d=1568313652

All credit goes to @Zotty for making the above diagram, I just edited it slightly for my specifications :)

To my understanding, it is best to keep the different fans (HD & LL) on different RGB Fan LED Hubs, this however was an issue as I would like 7 LL and 5 HD. So with plugging one of the LL fans into a Lighting Node Pro which also has the RGB strip attached surely this would work? Or would the icue software not pick this correctly or maybe there be a conflict with having an LL and RGB Strip into a Lighting Node Pro?

All help is really appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Jordan

1262770911_ZottyEdit.thumb.jpg.0562538178d2e74e7d379ab82f1894d8.jpg

Edited by JordanSimpson

Hi bud... one of my diagrams...

the only issue with mixing fans on the RGB Fan LED hub is that it will cause certain RGB effects to play/display wrong.. to add.. SP rgb Fans.. NO, you cant mix those with any of the others. HD/LL/ML will work. hope that helps...

Hey Zotty!

My apologies just realized I didn't credit you for the amazing diagram, I have amended that now :)

Ah okay, so I could plug the 1 LL fan currently in the Lighting Node into the RGB Hub with the other 5 HD fans with no RGB issues then?

Thanks!

Edited by JordanSimpson

Ah okay, so I could plug the 1 LL fan currently in the Lighting Node into the RGB Hub with the other 5 HD fans with no RGB issues then?

Thanks!

sort of...

1st.. you would have to tell the channel that those fans are on that you have all LL fans connected due to LED count.. LL fans contain more LED than HD fans.. so if you told that channel it had HD fans on it then the last few LEDS (last in the whole chain) on the LL fan wouldnt Light up.. hope that make sense..

2nd RGB effects wont play well such as rainbow wave, spiral rainbow, arc/pong and a few others.

sure they will all light up and not damage anything though......

and no worries on the credit man.. glad they help :)

Edited by Zotty

Hi bud... one of my diagrams...

the only issue with mixing fans on the RGB Fan LED hub is that it will cause certain RGB effects to play/display wrong.. to add.. SP rgb Fans.. NO, you cant mix those with any of the others. HD/LL/ML will work. hope that helps...

Hi Zotty,

Can 120mm and 140mm LL fans be mixed? I've had a lot of issues with the RGB on my setup and am wondering if maybe this is the issue?

• 1 year later...
can i use a light node pro to command rgb effects on 2 120LL fan ?

i have already 5 hd fans and i want to add 2 LL fan

You need to use the second RGB channel of the Node Pro + RGB Lighting Hub for the 2 x LL. The LL have different effects and a different LED layout than the HD. Those are not two to mix on the same hub.

• 2 months later...
Hey did i need rm850i to use commander pro ?

I am asking because I do not know why the usb from commander pro should be connected to the power supply.

You need to connect the PSU to the MB via USB 2.0 in order for data to be passed between the PSU and software. It's not required for the PSU to work, but you won't get data or be able to set custom fan curves.