Corsair Community

ATX 4pm CPU connector issue

2266Flash

Hey, I recently got the warning:

Note:The Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

on my PCPartpicker build.

Here are my build spec ideas:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card

Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Case Fan: Corsair AF140L 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan

Case Fan: Corsair AF140L 67.43 CFM 140 mm Fan

Should I worry about this as I have already purchased the power supply. Should I return it?

Also, is it possible to get converters? eg: 1x SATA power cable to 4pin, as I have spare SATA cable slots in my PSU.

DO NOT use any kind of converter!! That is a phenomenally bad idea, even if they do exist (and I hope that they do not).

I would, personally, opt for a PSU with more 12V ATX/PCIe connectors if you are worried about the extra CPU power cable. The 3900X can draw a bit of power so that might not be a bad idea.

It will never draw enough current to overload a single 8 pin.

Heavily overclocked on watercooling you may cap at 180W or close to..

At the same time, a dimed 10900K pull 300 - 350W still on the same 8pins connector. You're waaaaaaaaay safe if you don't use the additional 4 pins.

• Corsair Employee
While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

"Large video card demands" is incorrect. In every instance I've seen, the 8-pin and 4-pin only supply power to the CPU VRMs. Not the PCIe slots.

But it's true that unless you're doing extreme overclocking, you absolutely do not need two power connectors in place.

"Large video card demands" is incorrect. In every instance I've seen, the 8-pin and 4-pin only supply power to the CPU VRMs. Not the PCIe slots.

But it's true that unless you're doing extreme overclocking, you absolutely do not need two power connectors in place.

Most other motherboard vendors use a whole layer for power and one for ground. This helps simplify the design,

I never did understand the use of a secondary ATX12V connector, its outright useless to even bother spending the peso on a connector.

The EPS12V connector has upwards of 250W and the 2x12 cable brings in 2 more wires with another 150W of power. Should be enough any power pig CPU.