Corsair Community

Mixing ML and LL fans for push/pull with H150i PRO RGB

slingshot

Good day to everyone. I'd like to apologise in advance for my first post being a cry for help.. I have googled and found some answers to my questions, but they don't answer it fully. Here it is:

I'm currently building a PC system in the Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB (my first time building a PC). After having done some research about ideal airflow and fan configuration, I ended up with the push/pull setup. My case has 3 LL120 fans attached to the front. As the fans LEDs are only viewable from the intake side, I'd like to keep them that way. My question is: Am I allowed to mix the LL120s with the supplied ML120s from the H150i PRO within a push/pull setup? Or could this create turbulences? Would it be correct to connect the MLs (on the pull side behind the radiator) directly to the H150i and the LLs on the push side to my fan commander pro? I've read about setting up a custom fan curve in iCue for the 2nd row of fans within the push/pull setup, so that you can sync them via the fan commander pro to the CPU temp that the H150i measures.

I understand that you can only use one fan type in a single commander's LED hub, but that's not a problem for me, as the supplied ML fans aren't RGB anyway. I'm only worried about causing air turbulences between the two fan types (if such a thing exists, anyway).

The alternative would be doing a push-setup with the LL120 fans only and ditch the MLs - however, I'm afraid the thermals as well as the noise levels could be negatively affected that way (CPU is a i9-9900K).

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the push/pull setup on the front side of the case is meant for intake. I have 2 LL140s on top and 1 LL120 on the back for exhaust.

Edited by slingshot

It may create some level of air baffling. I have not done this 120s, but did not like the result on a 280mm with 140s. However, I am very picky and anything like that should be very mild to non-existent on 120s. I also thing you might be able to go without. While there might be a 1-2C difference in coolant temp at most, it may not be a good trade for an extra 3 fans of any type. Typical push pull doesn’t offer much return on a 360mm radiator. It might be more beneficial if there is something you’re trying to blow air across on the other side (m.2, chipset, etc).

Thank you for your quick answer. In that case, I think I'll stick to the 3 LL120s and use a push configuration. One more question: Would you still advice to install the 4 thermal probes the C-Pro provides? If so, where would you install them in my case (3x120 front intake, 2x140 top exhaust, 1x120 rear exhaust)? I was thinking one near the GPU, one near the CPU, one near the intake radiator and maybe one at the bottom near the PSU (which I plan to connect to the C-Pro using the USB-header).

Thank you for your quick answer. In that case, I think I'll stick to the 3 LL120s and use a push configuration. One more question: Would you still advice to install the 4 thermal probes the C-Pro provides? If so, where would you install them in my case (3x120 front intake, 2x140 top exhaust, 1x120 rear exhaust)? I was thinking one near the GPU, one near the CPU, one near the intake radiator and maybe one at the bottom near the PSU (which I plan to connect to the C-Pro using the USB-header).

Sorry, missed this originally. I would definitely put one at the rear exhaust. That is going to be the primary heat exit point and these probes become valuable as a control source for the case fans. While you could use GPU temp, the rear exhaust temp is the actual metric in play. The others are your choice, either for curiosity or data comparison. I would probably put one in front of the radiator on the front panel to capture intake temp (versus radiator exhaust temp). The other one of interest may be at the top of the motherboard above the VRM area, although really anywhere up there will do. People are often surprised by the difference between the bottom and top ambient case temp, even with minimal load.

• 7 months later...