Corsair Community

Single fan solution for i7 9700k

TraceyW

Hi

I was in the process of sorting out a gaming upgrade from a desktop PC to a gaming PC for my husband when I ran into a problem re cooling. At present my husband has a single fan water cooler which works very well but I've no idea what brand or model it is - very remiss of me I know but there you go.

Firstly I should say that he is NOT interested in overclocking which will cut down on the heat generated by the CPU (planning to get an i7 9700k). What I am looking for is a budget solution which would fit his case preferably water cooled. It is my belief that a Corsair H80i v2 would be capable of handling the proposed CPU. Alternatively, is there another single fan water cooler that would do the job baring in mind that overclocking will not be used? I should also add that the case he has at present is an Antec One which only has single fan outlets - it has no double or triple fan outlets!!!

Any help on sorting out what may work would be most useful and helpful. Thanks.

Tracey

PS I myself currently have a Corsair H80i v1 and can vouch for the efficiency of the cooler with an i5 4690K (not overclocked) used as a simple desktop machine.

The H80i v2 is plenty for the 9700K. Most single panel water coolers are capable, but having more radiator surface area allows you get away with much lower fan speeds. The larger factor in 120mm size radiator performance is likely to be location. The natural fit for a lot of people is going to be rear exhaust. Sitting over the GPU in a gaming rig will come with a temperature penalty, perhaps as large as the CPU heat itself. That doesn't means it won't work, but in a system with constant GPU load you can really steal back quite a bit by getting it on the front intake (if possible). And that leads to the most notable feature of the H80i v2 -- it is even thicker than your prior H80i. The radiator is now 50mm, so you are looking at 10cm sandwich of fan/rad/fan. That's a big block of stuff to fit.

Alternatives in thinner sizes would be the H60 (2018) and the H75 is there are any still around. Both are single pane and can be 1 or 2 fans as the user prefers. It is a standard thickness 120mm radiator, so there are some size savings to be had if 2-3C difference is not important. A 9700K in standard form will likely use 80-130W for most games, although there are too many to make it an absolute value. I do think being able to front mount the cooler away from the GPU will bring more benefit than any gains from radiator thickness or doubling up on fans.

The H80i v2 has it's own onboard fan controller. Both of its fans will be powered from the unit, with a control lead back to the motherboard for power. The H60/H75 are like most other non-software controlled coolers. You hook up one wire for the pump and a second control wire for the fan. That will take two separate MB headers. Two fans can share a single control header on a PWM splitter.

Edited by c-attack