Corsair Community

Corsair 1 I40 (Cooling Questions)

Redsky88

I have just bought a I40 tower about a week ago. I am so far very happy and surprised at how well it preforms. However living in Arizona my room is sitting at a standard 80F. And i need to know how this is affecting my PC. First Question. Is it dangerous to run my Fans at Extreme through corsairs Icue all the time? It does make a large impact in the cooling. But im worried it will put wear on the pc sooner the expected. 2nd. how hot is to hot my my I40? what temps do i need to be watching for to ensure that my computer inst being damaged. Examples. At idle with no game load. Im at 79.9F for gpu and 84.0F for cpu. Under a normal game load they can both jump to 120F. 3rd. Does anyone have helpful tips to try. And yes i know its called AC... Its also very expensive down here. I really could use some help. I don't want this thing to break.

• Corsair Employee
I have just bought a I40 tower about a week ago. I am so far very happy and surprised at how well it preforms. However living in Arizona my room is sitting at a standard 80F. And i need to know how this is affecting my PC. First Question. Is it dangerous to run my Fans at Extreme through corsairs Icue all the time? It does make a large impact in the cooling. But im worried it will put wear on the pc sooner the expected. 2nd. how hot is to hot my my I40? what temps do i need to be watching for to ensure that my computer inst being damaged. Examples. At idle with no game load. Im at 79.9F for gpu and 84.0F for cpu. Under a normal game load they can both jump to 120F. 3rd. Does anyone have helpful tips to try. And yes i know its called AC... Its also very expensive down here. I really could use some help. I don't want this thing to break.

1. You can run the fan at high, it's not a problem.

2. Those temperatures you are reporting are very good temps. You don't have to worry unless you are seeing anything above 190F.

The tip to keep your PC cooler is fairly straight forward. You need to be able to keep your room cool, meaning blackout curtain, avoid direct sunlight during hot day, get an oscillating fan to circulate air, etc. Just some common sense. Hope this help.

I live in a hot climate and my office gets pretty warm. This may be overkill, but I ordered a set of these small desk fans. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJVLDH2/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FJVLDH2&pd_rd_w=ycPRt&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=pk25q&pf_rd_r=T21JGRXT9AS4F6M6YHG5&pd_rd_r=e128f2c0-8802-11e9-b53b-3dc3dd55f59d

On low setting, they are very quiet. And directing them either at or across the air intakes on the sides of the case does a nice job of reducing temps.

As I say, probably overkill, but if I'm playing a GPU intensive game in an already warm room, they make a real difference.

Piggy-backing off of the topic of this thread, I recently picked up an i140 and while thermals are good under load, I notice that during idle that the CPU temps hover around 50 C (which CPU coolant temps at 42 C) on default fan settings and my ambient temp is 23-25 C. Is this normal? Or should I start the RMA process?

Piggy-backing off of the topic of this thread, I recently picked up an i140 and while thermals are good under load, I notice that during idle that the CPU temps hover around 50 C (which CPU coolant temps at 42 C) on default fan settings and my ambient temp is 23-25 C. Is this normal? Or should I start the RMA process?

Those temps seem normal to me. My i160 idles in the same range.

Seems kind of high, don't you think?

I don't think so, given how the convection cooling system is designed to work.

In my i160, at idle under the Default fan profile, the top case fan stays at 0 RPM until the CPU (or GPU) coolant temperature hits ~41.5C. The CPU core temperature at that point is ~50C. That's the idle temperature with no fan activity at all; just the water pumps. The fan will then ramp up to ~400 RPM and maintain the CPU temperature in the 47C range (CPU coolant levels off around 42.5C). The fan is on, but the system is still virtually silent (to my ear anyway) at that point.

If I set the fan profile to Extreme, with the fan running at full capacity (~1480 RPM), then I can maintain an idle CPU core temperature of ~31C (CPU coolant ~26C).

So I can have a silent PC at ~50C CPU core temp or a mostly silent PC at ~31C CPU core temp. Both numbers seem fine to me. (As I'm typing this, with just my browser and monitoring software running, my CPU temps are 47C (core)/42.2C (coolant) and the fan is at 365 RPM (Default profile).)

In any event, I think idle temps are largely irrelevant so long as the temperatures under load are good. Under a full load (20-minute OCCT stress test), with the fan at Default, my CPU core levels off around 70C and the fan is still spinning only at about 1150 RPM. If I set the fan to Extreme so it runs at full speed, then the CPU core drops to ~65C under the same full load. Everything I've read suggests those temps are very good.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect ultra-low idle temps with no fan running. It's a trade-off between noise and cooling. I think the Corsair One design achieves a great balance.

Edited by Queeg

It does help thank you.. And yes i have already done all those tips including bought a small AC unit just for my office. I just needed to know if i was putting to much wear on my fan having it be on extreme all the time. Or why my cpu was reaching 117 just idling. But it seems those temps are in an ok range. All in all i still think this is a well built PC, I just need it to not cook at a room temp of 85F. Thanks to all for input ;)