Corsair Community

Newer "XT" version not usable for BIOS

russk

I recently purchased a K95 Platinum XT but noticed it cannot be used until an Operating System launches. It is otherwise completely unresponsive during BIOS/POST screens and some boot loaders. I do not have this issue with any of my other USB keyboards.

That said, I do need a working keyboard before OS for certain keystrokes, or my OSes do not launch. (Purposefully)

When I search for solutions, I see references to a "BIOS mode" that would either be a physical switch or holding "F1 + Windows Lock" for 3 seconds. I don't see any physical switch on the device, and that button combination does not seem to do anything on this model.

Currently, I keep a second keyboard under my desk that I use just for boot up, which of course is not ideal.

Therefore, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know how to get into BIOS Mode for this model (if it exists)?

2) Does anyone know if this issue would be resolved if I had a newer PC running EFI instead of BIOS?

My UEFI motherboard on start will detect my K63 Wireless without needing to use BIOS mode. You should also be able to disable the halt on no keyboard error.

Thanks for the info. It's not a halt error, I just have multiple OSes installed, which require keyboard input during the boot loader.

It sounds like when I eventually upgrade to an EFI based system I should be fine.

I am able to to register the required keyboard input with a K95 XT on both my Asus systems. Does this happen every time? I did get once glitch where I could not, but it was after an unplanned hard restart.

Anything special about the USB ports where it's plugged in? Is there another option for that?

I am able to to register the required keyboard input with a K95 XT on both my Asus systems. Does this happen every time? I did get once glitch where I could not, but it was after an unplanned hard restart.

Anything special about the USB ports where it's plugged in? Is there another option for that?

c-attack both of the MOBOs you list in specs are UEFI boards. The fact that it works for you is good info, though, as it's another example where it will work on a UEFI platform.

My hardware is much older and running on a legacy BIOS. So every time I'm unable to use the K95 until an OS loads a proper USB controller. Some of the older models had a "BIOS mode" that was built for making the keyboard compatible with the older MOBOs during boot, but it appears to be absent from the K95 Platinum XT. Understandably so, as there's probably not a lot of people still running 10 year old hardware. My overclocks are the only reason the PC still runs reasonably for my workload.

I had an email response from Corsair technical support stating that the K95 Platinum XT does still have a BIOS mode, but you need to hold "F1 + Windows Lock" for 10 seconds instead of just 3. I've tried that but still have had no luck. I've tried for 30 seconds even, and still nothing.

I've let them know it didn't work for me, and still waiting for a response. Just curious if anyone else with a "K95 Platinum XT" has had any success getting into BIOS mode?

I have seen a few videos and blogs showing how to get various Corsair keyboards into this mode, but nothing specifically for "K95 Platinum XT." The closest I've seen was for K95 Platinum - but that method certainly is not working for me.

• 1 month later...
I had an email response from Corsair technical support stating that the K95 Platinum XT does still have a BIOS mode, but you need to hold "F1 + Windows Lock" for 10 seconds instead of just 3. I've tried that but still have had no luck. I've tried for 30 seconds even, and still nothing.

I've let them know it didn't work for me, and still waiting for a response. Just curious if anyone else with a "K95 Platinum XT" has had any success getting into BIOS mode?

Any updates from the response from Corsair? Im in the same boat. Have a Corsair k95 RGB Platinum XT which all of a sudden is not being detected during bios (MOBO: Asus Zenith II Extreme Alpha).

Holding the Lock + F1 for 10 seconds does nothing. I thought the keyboard is supposed to flash? Either way there must be a different way to enter bios mode for this keyboard as Lock + F1 does nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize that I had a response to this thread.

I didn't have any real progress with Corsair support. From what I've seen and heard from others as well, I'm pretty confident that the newest "XT" version of the keyboard just does not have a BIOS mode in it.

Corsair support was adamant that it still does, but none of the various instructions they provided worked. Ultimately they ended up offering an RMA, but I didn't want to risk getting some refurb replacement for an otherwise perfectly new keyboard.

In my case, I wound up "fixing" it by upgrading my system. I'm running on a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master now. In other words, I no longer need to have a "BIOS mode." So, I asked them to just close the case.

It was a very disappointing experience. It's clear that the support person I was speaking with didn't have access to the same keyboard model to test for himself, or he would've quickly realized it just doesn't work. That said, I'm overall still satisfied with Corsair's products in general.

• 1 month later...
FYI if anyone is still looking for a solution, apparently they changed the Bios hotkeys for some of the newer model keyboards. I spoke with customer support and successfully got my K95 Platinum XT into Bios mode by holding B and S (yes, BS) instead of F1 and Winlock.

• 1 month later...

CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT

Firmware v.4.5.22

BIOS MODE:

1 unplug the keyboard

2 hold down B and S keys

3 plug it in and continue holding until num lock, caps, and scroll lock leds are all lit

(SPIRAL RAINBOW lighting effect only)

RESET:

1 unplug the keyboard

2 hold down the ESC key

3 while holding down the ESC key, plug the keyboard back into the computer

4 keep holding the ESC key until the keyboard begins to flash...Done!

5 if necessary: unplug the keyboard again, then plug it back in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I recently purchased a K95 Platinum XT but noticed it cannot be used until an Operating System launches. It is otherwise completely unresponsive during BIOS/POST screens and some boot loaders. I do not have this issue with any of my other USB keyboards.

That said, I do need a working keyboard before OS for certain keystrokes, or my OSes do not launch. (Purposefully)

When I search for solutions, I see references to a "BIOS mode" that would either be a physical switch or holding "F1 + Windows Lock" for 3 seconds. I don't see any physical switch on the device, and that button combination does not seem to do anything on this model.

Currently, I keep a second keyboard under my desk that I use just for boot up, which of course is not ideal.

Therefore, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know how to get into BIOS Mode for this model (if it exists)?

2) Does anyone know if this issue would be resolved if I had a newer PC running EFI instead of BIOS?

Solved. they changed the Bios hotkey, Unplug the keyboard, hold down B and S, plug it in and continue holding until num lock caps lock scroll lock are all lit.