The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Legacy Corsair Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 06:00 PM

POST ID # = 775250
Proffo Reputation: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsez View Post
I started looking for a new keyboard a week ago and decided that I just MUST have an RGB backlight keyboard and this one looked awesome! However the more I read the forums here the more worried I get. Are people still happy with it? Does this fliuckering occur with the other two competing products?
Thanks
I don't think the flickering occurs with the other two competing products.

I can tell you that Corsair's RGB keyboards have a good physical design. The aluminium plate, key caps, layout etc give a very good impression. The software, although a bit hard to get to grips with, is powerful and provides a lot of customisation. The lighting is a bit of a let down, unless you are happy with 512 colours. 16.8 million colours are available, but you'll almost certainly see some flickering if you want colour animation. Corsair haven't addressed bugs in the software very quickly, but they do seem to be trying. I'd recommend a Kxx RGB keyboard if you want customisable static colouring and a keyboard that feels like it should last a long time.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 PM
delslow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775285
delslow Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsez View Post
Does this fliuckering occur with the other two competing products?
Thanks
No. Corsair's answer to this is: "our software is much more powerful." I don't buy it. Corsair seems to have skimped somewhere where they shouldn't have and it's coming back to bite them in the ****.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Paul S's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775289
Paul S Reputation: 10

Well its got to be something to do with the software cause the flickering didnt happen before

Old 04-26-2015, 06:16 AM

POST ID # = 775338

Quote:
Originally Posted by delslow View Post
No. Corsair's answer to this is: "our software is much more powerful." I don't buy it. Corsair seems to have skimped somewhere where they shouldn't have and it's coming back to bite them in the ****.
The problem is with the hardware. The update enables 16.8million colours, but the hardware is not really up to the task of what the Corsair would like the software to be able to do (flicker free 16.8million colour animation). Yes, the effect is caused by what the software is doing, but there is little to no chance of the problem being cured because the hardware is lacking and the software is pretty well "doing the best it can". It's a bit like playing a modern 3D computer game on a 5 year old PC. If you turn the graphic settings to maximum the frame rate will slow down. The only way you can get the game to run smoothly is to reduce the graphic settings.

I'm suprised this has happened. At an early stage of the design, the software and hardware engineers should have looked at what they wanted to achieve and checked that the hardware was up to the task. I would have thought they'd build a prototype to make sure that the hardware they choose is capable of delivering what's required, or at least take a detailed look at the hardware specs to ensure that it's good enough for the job. And if anyone says "yes, but that costs money, they're in business to make as much profit as possible", my answer would be "how much reputation and sales will they lose due to the lack of time spent in product design and development ?".

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 AM
stevvie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775344
stevvie Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffo View Post
if anyone says "yes, but that costs money, they're in business to make as much profit as possible", my answer would be "how much reputation and sales will they lose due to the lack of time spent in product design and development ?".
Well I can tell you for one they've lost me as a customer I'll NEVER buy another corsair product after this K95 RGB, the keyboard is a joy to use, it's a shame it's NOT as advertised. I'm hanging onto it until I work out what to replace it with, the logitech is nice to look at but horrid to use compared to this, the steal series looks really nice and feels ok (my mate has one) and I can assure you his 16 million colours do NOT flicker like mine. And I'm still reading up on the static Rosewill RGB80 keyboard. But the more I read up the more I see how little our keyboards are actually supported in games for the colour effects.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 AM
neofu's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775346
neofu Reputation: 10

I'd love to hear why 16bit colors aren't an option. I'm really trying to love his keyboard. The build quality is awesome and it works well. But sadly I had to turn 16.8m colors off again because the flickering is very distractive. But the stuttering animations with 8bit colors are also ugly (Extremely noticable while type lighting green over red).

Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 AM

POST ID # = 775366
CodilX Reputation: 10

I'm just curious if it would work. I think the 16bit color spectrum for this device should have enough for smooth color transitions, and hopefully less data flowing could result in a faster refresh rate and no flickering. But, we'll probably never know. Corsair isn't too open about these things publicly..

Right now I toggle between 512 and 16.8m colors. If I want a static color with no animation - having 16.8m colors works best. However for animations (like the rainbow effect) I revert to 512 :/ Even though there are far too few colors for smooth transitions between them, it does perform so much better than having 16.8m :/ What a shame ...

Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 PM
ScarredMecha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775436
ScarredMecha Reputation: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevvie View Post
Well I can tell you for one they've lost me as a customer I'll NEVER buy another corsair product after this K95 RGB, the keyboard is a joy to use, it's a shame it's NOT as advertised. I'm hanging onto it until I work out what to replace it with, the logitech is nice to look at but horrid to use compared to this, the steal series looks really nice and feels ok (my mate has one) and I can assure you his 16 million colours do NOT flicker like mine. And I'm still reading up on the static Rosewill RGB80 keyboard. But the more I read up the more I see how little our keyboards are actually supported in games for the colour effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofu View Post
I'd love to hear why 16bit colors aren't an option. I'm really trying to love his keyboard. The build quality is awesome and it works well. But sadly I had to turn 16.8m colors off again because the flickering is very distractive. But the stuttering animations with 8bit colors are also ugly (Extremely noticable while type lighting green over red).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodilX View Post
I'm just curious if it would work. I think the 16bit color spectrum for this device should have enough for smooth color transitions, and hopefully less data flowing could result in a faster refresh rate and no flickering. But, we'll probably never know. Corsair isn't too open about these things publicly..

Right now I toggle between 512 and 16.8m colors. If I want a static color with no animation - having 16.8m colors works best. However for animations (like the rainbow effect) I revert to 512 :/ Even though there are far too few colors for smooth transitions between them, it does perform so much better than having 16.8m :/ What a shame ...
Frankly, if Corsair would have just said at any point during the past few months that this implementation wouldn't be possible without the flickering, I think people would be a lot less unhappy than how Corsair instead chose to do it, which was to be non-transparent about the technical details and keep everyone waiting for a long time, only to drop the new update and basically say, "Oh, by the way, there's this flickering that happens if you use 16.8m colors that we can't fix. Sorry!"

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:51 PM

POST ID # = 775460

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofu View Post
It may well be that 16 bit colour will not eliminate the flicker. It might lower the load on the controller CPU, but it may still be too much for it to handle without causing flicker.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 775585
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapexx View Post
Frankly, if Corsair would have just said at any point during the past few months that this implementation wouldn't be possible without the flickering, I think people would be a lot less unhappy than how Corsair instead chose to do it, which was to be non-transparent about the technical details and keep everyone waiting for a long time, only to drop the new update and basically say, "Oh, by the way, there's this flickering that happens if you use 16.8m colors that we can't fix. Sorry!"
I don't totally disagree with you but it wasn't held a secret for the sake of being non-transparent. It was because we literally worked up until the last week to try to solve this issue. Anything we could have done was done to make the solution as ideal as possible. Unfortunately, there were certain limitations we couldn't overcome and it wasn't ideal. Is it perfect? No. But it still is a better solution than what didn't exist before.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:41 AM
ScarredMecha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775589
ScarredMecha Reputation: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
I don't totally disagree with you but it wasn't held a secret for the sake of being non-transparent. It was because we literally worked up until the last week to try to solve this issue. Anything we could have done was done to make the solution as ideal as possible. Unfortunately, there were certain limitations we couldn't overcome and it wasn't ideal. Is it perfect? No. But it still is a better solution than what didn't exist before.
Fair enough. It's unfortunate that you guys at Corsair are forced to work with hardware that can't get the job done as perfectly as everyone is hoping. Still though, it's a nice keyboard, and the software behind it is very powerful.

Are there any foreseeable plans to release a line of keyboards with updated hardware in the future? The lighting is literally the only flaw with my K70 RGB that I can think of right now.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:26 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 775628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapexx View Post
Fair enough. It's unfortunate that you guys at Corsair are forced to work with hardware that can't get the job done as perfectly as everyone is hoping. Still though, it's a nice keyboard, and the software behind it is very powerful.

Are there any foreseeable plans to release a line of keyboards with updated hardware in the future? The lighting is literally the only flaw with my K70 RGB that I can think of right now.
We can't comment on future products as things change on a daily basis. I can say though that every product released by Corsair is always to improve and increase the user experience based on feedback from the community as well as improvements in technology.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:42 AM

POST ID # = 775633
Jong Reputation: 10

James, you really need to look at Jucko's idea in the 16.8M color sticky. If you were working up to the wire maybe you missed this.

Last edited by Jong; 04-27-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:15 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 775636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
James, you really need to look at Jucko's idea in the 16.8M color sticky. If you were working up to the wire maybe you missed this.
I saw it and replied if we're referencing the same post. We did a lot of tweaks here and there as well. The issue is that there are conditions that you can rid of flicker, for example, registering colors in 6bit. However, depending on the type of foreground lighting you do, it can look terrible.

Thats why I referenced that our greatest feature of customization with lighting is also one of the difficult things to work around. Now if we completely limited lighting to only a fraction of what you can do today, then yes, there are definitely ways to hide the flicker. That type of compromise was something the team ruled out.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 AM

POST ID # = 775645
Jong Reputation: 10

Ah, you replied to an identical post in a different thread.

But Jucko really does seem to think the problem is largely resolved in his test environment: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...9&postcount=69. Maybe there are two problems causing flicker and his tweak might make things a lot better?