Corsair Community

Corsair cables 4 gen vs. 3 gen

KrsCph

• Corsair Employee
I'm looking at Corsair Premium individually sleeved pro package. I see that I can buy a type 4 gen 4-package and a type 4 gen 3-packager.

What's the difference between 4 gen and 3 gen, and does it matter?

The differences between the Type 4 Gen3/4 sleeved cabling is the type of sleeving and the cable combs. The Gen 4 cables have a better quality material for the sleeving and the cable combs don't require you to snap each individual cable into place.

• 9 months later...
The differences between the Type 4 Gen3/4 sleeved cabling is the type of sleeving and the cable combs. The Gen 4 cables have a better quality material for the sleeving and the cable combs don't require you to snap each individual cable into place.

The different cable combs are clearly visible on product photos of both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 cables.

But can you please be more specific about the sleeving and material used? Because as far as I know, there are no available information about that.

• Corsair Employee
The different cable combs are clearly visible on product photos of both the Gen 3 and Gen 4 cables.

But can you please be more specific about the sleeving and material used? Because as far as I know, there are no available information about that.

Gen 3 uses a nylon sleeve and there's heatshrink where the sleeve meets the connector. Gen 4 uses paracord and there is no heatshrink on the ends of the sleeves.

One difference is the addition of 3.3V sense which is not present with type 3

No. That's incorrect. All 24-pin cables have +3.3V sense. That's part of the ATX standard.

Type 4 cables have an additional +12V, +5V and ground sense. Type 3 only has the +3.3V sense.

Gen 3 uses a nylon sleeve and there's heatshrink where the sleeve meets the connector. Gen 4 uses paracord and there is no heatshrink on the ends of the sleeves.

No. That's incorrect. All 24-pin cables have +3.3V sense. That's part of the ATX standard.

Type 4 cables have an additional +12V, +5V and ground sense. Type 3 only has the +3.3V sense.

Looking at the chart for HXi and RM (2019) show peripheral and PCIe cables are not a problem, only the 2x12 cable has to be swapped.

Would like to see a split cable with EPS12V and ATX12V for that class of motherboard. I noticed one X570 that wanted dual EPS12V cables.