Corsair Community

2x fried Gigabyte X399 Aorus Extreme MBs with AX1600i

DogOfMetal

Yes, that title is correct. I've experienced TWO fried Gigabyte Aorus X399 Extreme motherboards using an AX1600i as the PSU. Each one failed after about six months of use. Both failed in the same manner and under minimal usage (at the time of failure). The same component failed on both boards - an electronic component near the AMD X399 chipset IC had a meltdown. I've now switched to an ASRock X399 (Fatal1ty) Professional Gaming MB. Hopefully this one doesn't fail in ~6 months.

I'm unsure what type of electronic component fried (resistor?) but I've attached pictures. One of the reasons I chose the Gigabyte board over other X399 TR4 boards was that it has 2x4+4 CPU power connections as opposed to 1x4+4 and 1x4 CPU power connections and I wanted an MB that supported CPUs that may demand more power (like the 2990WX). I wonder now if the board's design is defective and doesn't follow AMD recommendations because it is the only one I found that offers more CPU power input.

Anyway, if anyone has had a similar experience or any knowledge they can offer I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

1889924662_Fried1.thumb.jpg.9b66e5e9c994e211e22a674ecfa3e1b9.jpg

672710326_Fried2.thumb.jpg.f78833c790a801b7b9bf6d7213030bf2.jpg

It looks like a cracked ceramic capacitor that failed shorted from possible stress from board flex. It isn't a PSU issue. It is strange it happened on two different boards. What case are you using and are all the standoffs the same type and height?

Reminds me of this video: [ame]

[/ame]

I will see if I can pass this on to some guys at Gigabyte that I know.

The large hole on the underside should not come from a failed top side cap.

Ceramic caps generally fail open (AFAIK).

I wonder if it is caused by an over stressed via.

The burning may be an arc set up by too little clearance or migration of conductive material. I've seen migration cause that sort of burning in Sata power plugs, had to look it up.

The only way that should be in any way related to the supply is if the cap was trying to deal with horrible ripple or voltage spikes, both I would hope are unlikely on a decent PSU.

Edited by 4Me2Know