Corsair Community

K70 RGB / KVM issue

Recently took receipt of a K70 RGB keyboard. The keyboard seems fully functional when plugged directly into my PC. It is recognized by the software and I successfully updated the firmware to the latest.

However, when trying to connect the K70 RGB through an IOGear GCS932UB KVM (http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS932UB/) it doesn't work. I can get the lights to light up but the no keys are registered. The software also doesn't register the presence of a keyboard. This is a KVM that is known to be fully functional. I've used for a 2 years or so with quite a few other keyboards (other manufacturers) with no issues at all. Since the KVM does not provide an additional USB port (other than one for the keyboard and mouse each) I've plugged the additional "surprise" K70 RGB connector (the one not marked with a keyboard) into my primary PC directly.

I have tried changing the BIOS setting to each of the available settings but with no luck at all. (A separate issues is that changing the BIOS setting results in the keyboard lights changing intensity for each keypress when plugged directly into my PC.)

Anyone else successfully using a KVM with this keyboard? If so what KVM are you using? Or do I possibly have a faulty unit (especially considering the varying led intensity in the various BIOS modes)? Thoughts?

• Corsair Employee

HI Dhersneg, we don't recommend using our USB keyboards on KVM switches as we don't test the keyboards with it. Some KVM switches may work with the keyboard in BIOS mode (which deactivates features on the keyboard like the 104-key rollover) but there is no guarantee as there also is a chance that the KVM switch may also not be supplying enough power to the keyboard.

The BIOS switch also shouldn't affect the intensity of the LEDs as all it does is change the polling rate. However, when you switch it to a different setting, the keyboard will actually do a reboot (no different than unplugging and replugging a USB cable).

I recommend that to use this keyboard, you plug the aux USB cable in first and then follow with the keyboard USB directly to your PC rather than the KVM.

• 4 months later...
I was a bit concerned when I read that the K70 RGB might not work through a KVM switch, as one of the reasons I had just upgraded my monitor to the new Dell U3415W was that it was advertised as being able to be used with a single keyboard and mouse to operate two PCs. I was therefore very relieved to get my K70 RGB working in that fashion, though I wasn't having any joy until I connected the keyboard's secondary (power) USB. Thankfully the monitor had sufficient USB sockets - which I think are all USB 3.0.

That's what I thought at first, which is why I was disappointed when it didn't work for me straight away with just the 'keyboard' USB plugged in.

Perhaps the keyboard needs the extra bit of power from the second USB as I think the downstream USB ports on the monitor might be powered by the upstream USB cables from each of the computers. The Dell user guide isn't as detailed as I would like, but it does say that the downstream USB ports (other than a separate fast charging port on the back) have a maximum power consumption of 4.5W

I've only had the configuration working for a few hours, so I'm sure there's more to learn. At the moment for example, the keyboard switches to another (non-default) profile when I switch between PCs - but that could be due to my lack of full understanding of the Utility Engine default settings!

Oh, that's possible. The monitor might pass less power than a normal USB 3.0 port and thus you need both just like for 2.0.

For the default profile, have you tried to save your default CUE profile to the onboard memory of the keyboard? If you have chosen a default profile in CUE but haven't saved it to the keyboard when CUE is not running it will default to the default profile saved on the onboard memory. That might be why you see the switch to a different profile.

Thanks for that advice terabyte - I'll certainly give it a go. That's as soon as I've worked out how to do it.

Having just built my first custom PC, I'm finding a few interesting challenges along the way as I try to get it to function well with my new (complex) keyboard and monitor - and all in parallel with my faithful old Dell Dimension 9200!

At least I've proved along the way that the K70 RGB will work with at least one KVM arrangement (albeit integrated in a brand new monitor)!

Hi again terabyte.

I tried saving the profile to onboard memory but still changes when I switch from the old PC (which the keyboard was originally set up on) to the new one - but not vice versa.

Not a major problem, but will persevere in due course!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm using K70 with a cheap KVM switch and it works just fine. Only issue is when I turn on my UPS without turning on PC in 30 seconds, the keyboard will go into demo mode. I assume it's because the PC's USB I plug my KVM to got power through after I turn on the UPS. Or might also got to do with high power USB (charging mode). Anyway, the KVM works, no problem with switching PC with different profiles. Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I am looking to add a KVM to my current setup and I want to know if anyone sees any potential issues with what I'm planning on doing.

The KVM I'd like to buy only has two USB ports (not sure which version, but my assumption is that they are 2.0). I will need one for my mouse and one for my keyboard. I am currently typing on my K70 RGB... I have the supplemental "power-only" USB cable plugged into a USB cell phone charger (5.0V 2.0A) to provide constant power to the keyboard, and I have the data USB cable for the keyboard plugged into a USB extension so I can easily switch it between the two computers I will be hooking up to the KVM. I can switch the data cable back and forth between the two computers and the keyboard seems to transition seamlessly, so I would assume the KVM won't have any problems switching either.

I guess my question is this: Will it damage the keyboard if I have it connected to a constant power source on the "power-only" plug when there is no power on the "data" plug? Both computers will likely be in suspend mode when I'm away so I want to make sure that the USB charger doesn't damage the keyboard. Also, any foreseeable issues using a USB charger to provide constant power for extended periods of time?

Thanks,

Rob

I guess my question is this: Will it damage the keyboard if I have it connected to a constant power source on the "power-only" plug when there is no power on the "data" plug? Both computers will likely be in suspend mode when I'm away so I want to make sure that the USB charger doesn't damage the keyboard. Also, any foreseeable issues using a USB charger to provide constant power for extended periods of time?

Thanks,

Rob

It shouldnt damage the keyboard, but the keyboard might not work as intended.

Just a quick update... I decided to pull the trigger on the KVM I wanted, an IOGEAR GCS22U.

With the keyboard's supplemental power cable plugged into the USB phone charger, and the keyboard's data cable plugged into the keyboard port of the KVM, I can switch seamlessly between my two computers and the keyboard seems to be working normally. It automatically switches profiles too when it connects to the new computer.

I haven't tested trying to get into the BIOS yet but that'll be a project for a different day. Polling rate is still set to default (1). I don't change my CMOS settings often and I have no problems plugging in a different keyboard temporarily to do it.

Now to hide all these cables! :cool:

• 2 months later...
Just a quick update... I decided to pull the trigger on the KVM I wanted, an IOGEAR GCS22U.

With the keyboard's supplemental power cable plugged into the USB phone charger, and the keyboard's data cable plugged into the keyboard port of the KVM, I can switch seamlessly between my two computers and the keyboard seems to be working normally. It automatically switches profiles too when it connects to the new computer.

I haven't tested trying to get into the BIOS yet but that'll be a project for a different day. Polling rate is still set to default (1). I don't change my CMOS settings often and I have no problems plugging in a different keyboard temporarily to do it.

Now to hide all these cables! :cool:

This is interesting...

I'm looking to use a Corsair Gaming CH-9000094-UK STRAFE RGB through an ATEN CS1782A KVM.

In an ideal world I'd install the associated program on both PCs and then for example when I'm using PC-A the keyboard would be red, and then when I flicked the KVM switch to use PC-B, the keyboard would use that machine's profile and become blue.

Is that how it works?

And if it is controlled by the program on the currently attached machine, what happens if the machine (PC) has multiple user accounts? Is the application irrespective of user and machine wide? Or per user?

In an ideal world I'd install the associated program on both PCs and then for example when I'm using PC-A the keyboard would be red, and then when I flicked the KVM switch to use PC-B, the keyboard would use that machine's profile and become blue.

Is that how it works?

Yes, you could definitely set it up that way. I'm not sure what to tell you about multiple user accounts, though. Both of my computers only have one user :p:

Yes, you could definitely set it up that way. I'm not sure what to tell you about multiple user accounts, though. Both of my computers only have one user :p:

Thanks!

So if you set up a (default) colour profile on your PC... I assume you turn your PC on, and while its booting up the keyboard is in some default colour scheme? Does your default colour profile finally then kick in before/after your user logon out of interest? What happens if you flick your KVM to the other PC and that PC isn't even on? Default colour scheme again?

I've noticed another post elsewhere on this forum about someone with basically the same KVM as me having some issues that needed resolving... I'm hoping they'll answer and put my mind at rest it's all solvable without too much pain - http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=864349&postcount=10

Thanks!

So if you set up a (default) colour profile on your PC... I assume you turn your PC on, and while its booting up the keyboard is in some default colour scheme? Does your default colour profile finally then kick in before/after your user logon out of interest? What happens if you flick your KVM to the other PC and that PC isn't even on? Default colour scheme again?

I've noticed another post elsewhere on this forum about someone with basically the same KVM as me having some issues that needed resolving... I'm hoping they'll answer and put my mind at rest it's all solvable without too much pain - http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showpost.php?p=864349&postcount=10

Yes, that's correct. I'm not a developer for Corsair but I feel like I have a pretty general understanding of how the software works. Essentially, you load a default profile onto the keyboard using the Corsair software (CUE). It will revert to that profile whenever it is not receiving instructions from CUE (if the computer is off or disconnected). Once the keyboard starts receiving instructions from the Corsair software (when the computer boots and loads CUE), it will automatically switch to that profile.

So if Computer A is running Profile A, when you switch to Computer A, the keyboard will switch to Profile A

Similarly, Computer B is running Profile B. Switching your KVM to Computer B would cause the keyboard to run Profile B

If either computer is off in this situation, the keyboard would switch to its default profile because it would no longer be receiving instructions from CUE. However, in my experience, the keyboard won't be animated unless it's connected to a computer that is running and has the CUE program running.

Addendum: Also, in my experience, the keyboard animation stops at the user login screen. Not sure if this only happens on Windows 10 or if earlier versions of Windows cause the same behavior. My guess is that the login screen invokes some sort of kernel-level code to prevent malicious applications from taking control of the login screen. Regardless, they keyboard won't load the profile from CUE until after you log in. Until then, you'd be stuck with the keyboard's default profile.

Edited by Voodoo262

Yes, that's correct. I'm not a developer for Corsair but I feel like I have a pretty general understanding of how the software works. Essentially, you load a default profile onto the keyboard using the Corsair software (CUE). It will revert to that profile whenever it is not receiving instructions from CUE (if the computer is off or disconnected). Once the keyboard starts receiving instructions from the Corsair software (when the computer boots and loads CUE), it will automatically switch to that profile.

So if Computer A is running Profile A, when you switch to Computer A, the keyboard will switch to Profile A

Similarly, Computer B is running Profile B. Switching your KVM to Computer B would cause the keyboard to run Profile B

If either computer is off in this situation, the keyboard would switch to its default profile because it would no longer be receiving instructions from CUE. However, in my experience, the keyboard won't be animated unless it's connected to a computer that is running and has the CUE program running.

Addendum: Also, in my experience, the keyboard animation stops at the user login screen. Not sure if this only happens on Windows 10 or if earlier versions of Windows cause the same behavior. My guess is that the login screen invokes some sort of kernel-level code to prevent malicious applications from taking control of the login screen. Regardless, they keyboard won't load the profile from CUE until after you log in. Until then, you'd be stuck with the keyboard's default profile.

Thats very useful then! So I could just install the software on PC-B, set up standard default profile (red), and also one specifically for when connected to PC-B (blue)?

If I use the KVM to switch to PC-A (which won't have the software enabled) it would use the standard default (red). Flick back to PC-B, back to blue...

Sound about right? If so great! As I'd only need to setup the software on one PC (main main gaming PC).

Thats very useful then! So I could just install the software on PC-B, set up standard default profile (red), and also one specifically for when connected to PC-B (blue)?

If I use the KVM to switch to PC-A (which won't have the software enabled) it would use the standard default (red). Flick back to PC-B, back to blue...

Sound about right? If so great! As I'd only need to setup the software on one PC (main main gaming PC).

Yep, you've got it. I may actually end up stealing your idea for my setup :p:

• 9 months later...
HI Dhersneg, we don't recommend using our USB keyboards on KVM switches as we don't test the keyboards with it. Some KVM switches may work with the keyboard in BIOS mode (which deactivates features on the keyboard like the 104-key rollover) but there is no guarantee as there also is a chance that the KVM switch may also not be supplying enough power to the keyboard.

The BIOS switch also shouldn't affect the intensity of the LEDs as all it does is change the polling rate. However, when you switch it to a different setting, the keyboard will actually do a reboot (no different than unplugging and replugging a USB cable).

I recommend that to use this keyboard, you plug the aux USB cable in first and then follow with the keyboard USB directly to your PC rather than the KVM.

Quite frankly the above policy is unacceptable. Why would any company restrict themselves purely to gamers and not even bother with business/technical users who just want a decent keyboard. I am saying this as a hardware engineering and keyboard firmware writer. My kvm , an iogear, works just fine with any keyboard , including your competitors except the Strafe keyboard I just bought. I have no idea why you don't have a BIOS lock switch on this keyboard. Apparently it exists on your other keyboard. However, the policy of not bothering to test these units on KVMs is a deal breaker.

The above "policy" is not acceptable. When you don't bother to test with KVMs means that if the keyboard works but fails in the future, you are on your own. I have no idea why business/technical users should be excluded from having a decent keyboard. I also have no idea why on this keyboard there isn't a way to force BIOS mode so that it behaves like a standard 104 keyboard. I have the same KVM as above and it works with every other keyboard that I've tested , including your competitors except for this. I am saying this as an hardware engineer and keyboard firmware designer. I've used Corsair products in the past and have admiration for their quality and thoroughness. I guess I now have to revise that opinion

The above "policy" is not acceptable. When you don't bother to test with KVMs means that if the keyboard works but fails in the future, you are on your own. I have no idea why business/technical users should be excluded from having a decent keyboard. I also have no idea why on this keyboard there isn't a way to force BIOS mode so that it behaves like a standard 104 keyboard. I have the same KVM as above and it works with every other keyboard that I've tested , including your competitors except for this. I am saying this as an hardware engineer and keyboard firmware designer. I've used Corsair products in the past and have admiration for their quality and thoroughness. I guess I now have to revise that opinion

It's not exactly a policy more of an as a company it doesn't fit their market. I don't think many gaming companies will help you with a KMV problem even if they did a test with a few KMV.

They market themselves towards gamers for gamers and gamers first. I know very few gamers who go hey "I would love to game with extra lag from a KMV." And imagine going to your CEO and saying " Sir, I get that we are a gaming company but I need an extra 10% for my team to test all of our devices with KMS. It for out business users." Someone is getting chucked out of an office. :(:

If they came out with a keyboard for business use and didn't test it with KMVs then I would get your complaint 100%.

Also, there is a way to force the Strafe into BIOS mode. I forget the exact key combination. And yes their more expensive keyboards so have a switch but you got a Strafe...

Edited by Inheritance