Corsair Community

Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB - frequently disconnects and fans stop spinning

IBlubbiI

Hello everyone,

I build my PC-System about one year ago, and ever since then everything has been working just fine.

Just a few weeks ago however, the problems startet happening. When playing Valorant I suddenly heared a disconnect sound (like a USB-Device has been disconnected from Windows), within the next minute my game and sound started to freeze, shortly after resulting in a blue screen. - after a restart my pc was really slow and laggy and crashed again within a minute or so. - Did a Bios-reset and everything was working fine again.

After about a week, same problem, again when playing Valorant I heared a disconnect sound, shortly after freeze and blue screen. This time the PC wouldnt even let me boot into the Bios, but shut down after about 5 seconds. After taking a look into the case I noticed the three fans on the Radiator were not spinning. After giving the PC some time to cool down it would let me boot again, and I was able to run without crash at about 90-100 degrees aslong as I wasnt opening any demanding applications. I downloaded the newest Version of iCUE but neither the H150i nor the fans were detected in there. It also didnt show up in the Windows Device manager. After Unplugging and Replugging any of the cables didnt yield any effect I gave up and went to sleep.

The next morning everything worked just fine. iCUE detected the pump and fans and I was able to edit the fan curves aswell. It also showed up in windows as USBXp Driver and the fans were spinning.

Everything worked for about 2 weeks now, until today, again when playing valorant I heared the same disconnect sound... knowing what it ment I immediately checked the device manager and yes... the USBXp Driver was not there. Fans were also not spinning anymore so I shut down the PC. I had the suspicion that the Micro-USB to 9Pin USB header cable was at fault, so I tried replacing it with a Micro-USB to USB cable that I plugged into a USB-Port at the back of my PC. When booting, the fans started spinning again, windows and iCUE were detecting the device and everything seemed good, until 20 minutes later, this time when browsing chrome I heared the same disconnect sound, fans stopped spinning, driver didnt show up anymore, etc.

I havent been able to get the PC to boot/ detect the Fans since then, but even if they were to magically work again tomorrow, this cannot be a permanent state :[pouts:

I hope someone here has an idea as to what might be causing these disconnects.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer.

There were issues with the disconnects but that's (mostly) been fixed. Do you have a firmware update available in iCUE?

Beyond that ... it sounds like RMA would be the way to go. Make sure to ask for an advanced RMA - they'll take your credit card as a security deposit but they'll ship a replacement out to you while waiting for your return to come in.

I am currently using version 3.34.170, according to my iCUE that is the latest version.

Should I be contacting Mindfactory (the vendor that I purchased the H150i from) or the Corsair Customer Support for the RMA? (I am from germany and due to covid, the german hotline seems to be down at the moment).

That likely depends on the type/length of warranty you have with Mindfactory. If the H150i is still covered, then you should choose the fastest, most convenient option for you.

There are multiple potential causes for the USB disconnect and the cooler dropping in and out of CUE. However, at no point should the fans stop when that happens. This makes me concerned about the general power delivery in the unit. Even if you fans shut off, it would take a while to get to max temperature. However, if the pump shuts down that will happen in 20-60 seconds. There is reason to think both the pump and fans are losing power and that is going to be a hardware issue and not software related.

The only other thing you can do is check the SATA power cable for the H150i and perhaps try a different branch on one of the PSU lines.