Corsair Community

PSU Buzzing Sound

Dicehunter

So I've returned an RM1000i PSU 3 x times now to Amazon and this issue persists, It's not a sound that happens all the time but it is fairly random, I've tried plugging directly into the mains to eliminate any possibility of a bad power strip, Tried plugging into a high quality UPS, Tried testing on different PC's, Unplugging any unused USB devices, Always the same outcome, A slight buzzing sound like a cricket, It's not loud but once you notice it, It's hard to not notice it.

Is this just normal with Corsair PSU's ?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVnn1-_LlU[/ame]

• Corsair Employee
Its going to be coil whine due to the increased voltage your power outlets supply in the EU. Since you are on 230v outlets there is an increased load on the power supply to step that voltage down to a usable 12v 5v and 3.3v and will have an increased risk of coil whine like you are experiencing. There is nothing wrong with the PSU itself its just a side effect of living in a region with higher voltage outlets.

Its going to be coil whine due to the increased voltage your power outlets supply in the EU. Since you are on 230v outlets there is an increased load on the power supply to step that voltage down to a usable 12v 5v and 3.3v and will have an increased risk of coil whine like you are experiencing. There is nothing wrong with the PSU itself its just a side effect of living in a region with higher voltage outlets.

Very interesting thank you for the reply :):

I'm just curious though, I just tested a 1000 watt Seasonic PSU in my system and there is zero sound of slightly buzzing crickets like there has been with the last 3 x RMi PSU's, What are Seasonic doing different to fully eliminate this sound ?

Edited by Dicehunter

Find a better power bar with good RFI filters etc

Or Corsair could just build that into the Power Supply, especially considering the Price of the RM1000i.

The End User should not have to fix the issue, Corsair should, otherwise put these affected Power Supplies under the CW (Coil Whine) Series Line at a reduced price, lower price but increased whine!

Corsairs Power Supplies are notorious for Coil Whine!, yet they just brush it to the side!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020084-UK-RM1000i-Modular-Supply/product-reviews/B00YPQLRNO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_sr?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical

Very interesting thank you for the reply :):

I'm just curious though, I just tested a 1000 watt Seasonic PSU in my system and there is zero sound of slightly buzzing crickets like there has been with the last 3 x RMi PSU's, What are Seasonic doing different to fully eliminate this sound ?

Corsair Power Supplies are Notorious for Coil Whine, just check out the Amazon Reviews and Video below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020084-UK-RM1000i-Modular-Supply/product-reviews/B00YPQLRNO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_sr?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/RTUNLJIV7SLGP/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00YPQLRNO

My Corsair RM1000i also Chirps like Cricket, the Fan Never Spins even while the system is under Full Load when Gaming at 4K@60HZ, but the buzzing from it is noticeable above the 6 x Case fans and 3 x GPU Fans and Sound System!

Which Seasonic did you go for as I also hear they are Notorious for Coil Whine, I was looking at the "Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W" or the "Prime Titanium Fanless 600W", leaning closer the Fanless but they have a 700W Fanless coming out, but I am worried about the Coil Whine!

Anyhow they Cost a lot more than the RM1000i, but why should we pay more because Corsair cannot deliver!

I've owned my RM1000i for 4 years now and I've never had such an issue. And no issue at all with any of my other Corsair PSUs.

My guess is your "cable mod kit" (one cable, one wire), I never went that route as I don't trust cable mods, I use the ones that came with the PSU, ugly but functional and guaranteed to work.

And yes, I've heard guys giving bad reviews to Cable Mod kits because either the PSU didn't work or fried their hardware.

Perhaps one of the cables is not connected properly internally and you can't see. Or is hanging by a thread.

• 2 weeks later...
I've owned my RM1000i for 4 years now and I've never had such an issue. And no issue at all with any of my other Corsair PSUs.

My guess is your "cable mod kit" (one cable, one wire), I never went that route as I don't trust cable mods, I use the ones that came with the PSU, ugly but functional and guaranteed to work.

And yes, I've heard guys giving bad reviews to Cable Mod kits because either the PSU didn't work or fried their hardware.

Perhaps one of the cables is not connected properly internally and you can't see. Or is hanging by a thread.

I've tried with the stock cables upon the first install, Made zero difference, As the above poster said, Corsair PSU's are notorious for coil whine.

I also have a Corsair RM850i in my home server/HTPC, No cable extensions, No after market cables and it also chirps like a cricket when in use.

This is a problem with Corsair PSU's in general and while the above Corsair employees explanation was nice it doesn't explain why other PSU's I've personally tested, As well as several other people, Don't suffer from this exceedingly annoying chirping sound.