Corsair Community

Commander pro fans not spinning at similar speeds

amadeus1171

Does anyone know why my fans don't spin at the same speed?

I'm using the Commander Pro. All six fans are Noctua 4-pin. The Commander Pro fan settings are all 4-pin. And they all share the same performance setting, Extreme.

Can't the Commander pro provide enough power to spin all fans full speed?

See image for fan speeds at Extreme.

Fan Speeds Image

Fans 1,2,3 are Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin

Fans 4,5,6 are Noctua NF-F12 PWM, 4-Pin Premium Quiet Fan

Yes, they are different fans.

But get this: fans 1 and 2 are the same fans set on the performance profile (CPU-not in the image shown). Fan 1 will spin near or over 2k rpm while fan 2 will be stuck at something like 1200 to 1300 rpm.

I'll try and get a picture of this happening.

I think I figured it out. It was the max fan speed. I just assumed the Noctua fans would go faster than what they can accomplish. Instead, they wig out when you set a value out of bounds from their specifications. Thus I kept getting weird fan speeds.

I set the max fan speeds properly now, 2000 for fans 1-3 and 1500 for fans 4-6, and they appear to be functioning within specifications.

This leads to a suggestion for a change in iCue, specifically, the fan settings for the fan pins in Commander Pro. Include setting for fan low and high to prevent the user from over or undersetting fan speeds, and/or include a list of popular fans from a drop down so these settings can be set automatically instead of manually.

This leads to a suggestion for a change in iCue, specifically, the fan settings for the fan pins in Commander Pro. Include setting for fan low and high to prevent the user from over or undersetting fan speeds, and/or include a list of popular fans from a drop down so these settings can be set automatically instead of manually.

You can set your fan speed to anything you want, within the operating range of your fan. However, it is up to the user to know what they are plugging in.

That's my point. Give the user the option to set min/max speeds for fans. Over time you forget what you put in. I assumed the fans would know to stop at their max speeds, not have a conniption. lol

And it doesn't help that my custom fan curses keep getting erased periodically, for some reason. x.x