Corsair Community

H100i RGB Pro XT pump noise

rugox86

Hello all,

Just installed H100i RGB Pro XT. When I put the pump in quiet mode in iCUE, it makes a rattling pump noise... There is also infrequent low click noise when the pump is in balanced mode. The noise goes away when in extreme mode but I do not want the pump to be ran in extreme mode all the time. Is there any way to fix this issue or the best bet is to exchange?

Can you be a little more descriptive about the "rattle" sound?

It's relatively common to get some bubbles in the glycol based coolant, especially if you did some somersaults trying to figure out how to get in. These usually work themselves out in the first day or so. The bubble sound is often described as clicks or pops, sometimes like an old HDD clicking away. The inconsistent timing of the noise along with the higher frequency on lower speeds suggests this is the issue. If it were a genuine mechanical issue, the noise would be produced on each revolution and get considerably worse as pump speed increased.

If you want to try to accelerate the process, you can start tipping the case around. The goal is to get the outlet tube slightly higher than the CPU block and the bubble(s) will exit the pump area. If it is already hard to detect on Extreme, you likely are most the way there, but whether you choose to let it balance naturally or force the issue, there doesn't seem to be any reason to suspect a mechanical origin so replacing it would a random outcome.

Thanks for the response. Before seeing your response, I suspected that it may be the bubbles as I saw a couple of other people have similar experiences. When I lay my computer on its side (GPU side, I have a mini itx case, sandwich style, h100i is mounted on the top), the noise goes away so I'm assuming it has to do with some kind of bubbles in the system. I have been tipping the case and will let it run for awhile to see if it will naturally go away. Hopefully this will be it.

It should happen relatively quickly and it's more a game of getting the angle right (combined with the existing pump pressure) rather than stuff like "turn it upside down and let it run for 24 hours". If should release in seconds or minutes, not hours.

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced an old AIO with this one 2 weeks ago and i got the same noise. When the Pc is straight (Corsair logo looking to one side), i get the noise.

If i tilt the PC towards the logo, so it looks to the bottom, the noise increase.

If i tilt it so the logo face upwards, 0 noise. I tried to dismount it, and move the pump and radiator freely while the pump was on to try to move the air and nothing.

Radiator is mounted on the front, vertically and with the pump hoses on the upper side.

Could it be a faulty pump?

• 2 weeks later...
I got a 115i and the noise at low pump speed its the same. Tested both 115i and 100i and they dont make the noise when they are not placed on the cpu. So i guess it has to be something with vibrations. My old h100x didn´t had this problem. But i guess ill have to keep it on mid/high speed

Hello, i have the same issue with a new H00i RGB PRO XT, bubble noise in quiet mode only.

Noise goes away when case is on side and corsair logo points at the ceiling, noise gets worse when case in on side and corsair logo points at the floor.

There are many threads like this but less common is someone reporting back saying they solved the issue. Has anyone here solved it?

I have been running in extreme mode since 8 am and plan to until this evening to see if that shifts it. If not i plan to remove the pump and move around freely whilst running (with another cooler on cpu) and see if that works. I get the concept, air is lighter than the coolant so needs to be encouraged to the top of the rad and not be sucked back into the pump.

I will report back

UPDATE: so have dismantled the rig, chucked thermal paste everywhere putting the amd cooler back in, ran H100i in all imaginable directions and still the clicking when the pump head is vertical in quiet mode, the position it needs to be in my case. sound like a pocket of air literally stuck in pump and no amount of manoeuvring can shift it

I like the cooler but its quite exasperating having to go through this faff to try and get it run quiet. I guess i just need to decide if i can tolerate the noise, or send it back, what a pain

Edited by Kalros1544
update

Hello, i have the same issue with a new H00i RGB PRO XT, bubble noise in quiet mode only.

Noise goes away when case is on side and corsair logo points at the ceiling, noise gets worse when case in on side and corsair logo points at the floor.

There are many threads like this but less common is someone reporting back saying they solved the issue. Has anyone here solved it?

I have been running in extreme mode since 8 am and plan to until this evening to see if that shifts it. If not i plan to remove the pump and move around freely whilst running (with another cooler on cpu) and see if that works. I get the concept, air is lighter than the coolant so needs to be encouraged to the top of the rad and not be sucked back into the pump.

I will report back

UPDATE: so have dismantled the rig, chucked thermal paste everywhere putting the amd cooler back in, ran H100i in all imaginable directions and still the clicking when the pump head is vertical in quiet mode, the position it needs to be in my case. sound like a pocket of air literally stuck in pump and no amount of manoeuvring can shift it

I like the cooler but its quite exasperating having to go through this faff to try and get it run quiet. I guess i just need to decide if i can tolerate the noise, or send it back, what a pain

I would choose a different cooler, both the 100i and 115i i got have the same problem

• 2 weeks later...