Corsair Community

Blue Screen on Hotswap

kb1234

Hi,

I am assembling a new system that has three hotswap bays.

This system is:

ASUS p6x58D Premium

Core i7 960

24GB of Crucial Memory

EVGA GeForce 210 Video Card - 512MB DDR2

Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 Power Supply

WD Caviar Green 500GB Drives

3 hotswap SATA bays

I am experiencing a problem where if I have the the system drive and a hot swap bay on the same power cable, when I hot swap I get a blue screen and the system crashes. I suspect that the result is some sort of voltage flux when swapping. What do you think? What options do I have?

Yes. AHCI is active for both controllers. The drives do show up in the safely remove option and can be hotswapped succesfully if they are the only thing on a power cable. Problem only exists if I put multiple items on the power cable.

I found the following on the ASUS website the mentions the same issue.

http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=7807F0B6-C7B3-DA53-5310-51810D8AD552&t=2

I would like to know if this is the motherboard or the PSU. We are planning on building multiple similiar systems and would like to avoid this issue.

Thanks

Overall, HDs are such a low power item, I doubt the PSU is the issue from a compatibility standpoint. It is possible of course that you could have a defective PSU but, based on what you have posted, I'd suspect the MOBO. Do you have a spare PSU or MOBO yet to test with?

Overall, HDs are such a low power item, I doubt the PSU is the issue from a compatibility standpoint. It is possible of course that you could have a defective PSU but, based on what you have posted, I'd suspect the MOBO. Do you have a spare PSU or MOBO yet to test with?

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not have any spare parts to test with.

• Corsair Employee
In my search I did come across others have the same problem at

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7007

See the first and second post. One has he HX650W and the other the TX650W power supply.

On the second page of that thread there is someone reporting the same issue with a non-Corsair PSU, so it does not seem to be a certain make/model which causes the problem. Do you have any problems at all running multiple drives on the same line if you bypass the back plane and connect the drives directly to the motherboard?

Do you have any problems at all running multiple drives on the same line if you bypass the back plane and connect the drives directly to the motherboard?

My setup is a little different. My three hotswap drives are individual bays

http://us.startech.com/product/DRW150SATBK-Black-Aluminum-Serial-ATA-Drive-Drawer

I have built several other systems that use them in the past without experiencing this problem.

When you say plug directly into the motherboard do you mean plug the power supply and the sata cable directly into the drive. When I disconnect it does it matter if I do the power or the SATA first?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Yes, I would take the backplane out of the equation and see if you still get the same issues without it. Might be best to check with the hard drive manufacturer to see what they recommend as far as which cable to remove first. I have done it both ways.

Archived