Corsair Community

h100x vs h100i pro

fryzen

Hello all! First post.

To the point, what is the difference between said AIO's speaking in terms of performance? The price difference is quite big in my country (about $50 difference).

How loud is the h100i pro compared to h100x? And what are the temps?

You might be better off web searching for that data. Not many people will own both coolers and happen to keep an anechoic chamber in the spare room. The H100x also has a more limited release market so there are fewer of them out there.

In terms of physical differences, that is a lot easier. The H100x is non-software cooler. What you see is what you get. White LED. You need to supply control for pump and fans. The H100i Pro is a full RGB cooler with its own fan controller for the two non-RGB ML fans (or any other PWM fans). It is software programmable and falls under the iCUE umbrella.

You might be better off web searching for that data. Not many people will own both coolers and happen to keep an anechoic chamber in the spare room. The H100x also has a more limited release market so there are fewer of them out there.

In terms of physical differences, that is a lot easier. The H100x is non-software cooler. What you see is what you get. White LED. You need to supply control for pump and fans. The H100i Pro is a full RGB cooler with its own fan controller for the two non-RGB ML fans (or any other PWM fans). It is software programmable and falls under the iCUE umbrella.

That I already know. But the $1m question is: how loud is a h100x compared to the h100i pro and what are the temps?

Let me go grab both coolers (including the one not available for sale in my country) and I’ll go run several hours of temperature and sound testing for an unspecified CPU and fan set. You can wait here in the User’s Case Modding and Customization forum.

That I already know. But the $1m question is: how loud is a h100x compared to the h100i pro and what are the temps?

Mechanically, it's the same pump and same fans. So ... at the same pump and fan speeds, they'll have the same noise.

But with the Pro, you'll be able to control it from iCUE based on coolant temp, which is the proper way to do it. With the H100x, you won't. Fans will be controlled in the BIOS, likely based on CPU speed, which will cause it to ramp up sooner and more than it actually needs to.

Let me go grab both coolers (including the one not available for sale in my country) and I’ll go run several hours of temperature and sound testing for an unspecified CPU and fan set. You can wait here in the User’s Case Modding and Customization forum.

You clearly are not here for helping. And if you didn't know i already have specified my specs. It's right under my profile name; (fryzen's specs).

Mechanically, it's the same pump and same fans. So ... at the same pump and fan speeds, they'll have the same noise.

But with the Pro, you'll be able to control it from iCUE based on coolant temp, which is the proper way to do it. With the H100x, you won't. Fans will be controlled in the BIOS, likely based on CPU speed, which will cause it to ramp up sooner and more than it actually needs to.

Is the fans and the icue compatibility the only real difference?

You clearly are not here for helping. And if you didn't know i already have specified my specs. It's right under my profile name; (fryzen's specs).

On the contrary, that is exactly what I was trying to do. Your first post was misplaced and really targeting the wrong people. That is fine. I tried to redirect you. Your second post was rude and suggests you don't understand or care. That is not.

While a particular user may be able to give their relative and subjective impressions of one cooler or the other, no one here has both coolers, a test bench, and a relatively obscure 7 year old processor to give you precise temperature and sound data significant to you. You need to find a professional review of one or both coolers to get that data and try to find a relatively similar TDP processor for power to make the temp comparisons meaningful. I think that last part is probably a long shot, so any comparison with another 4 core will have to do. The temperature differences are going to small, one way or another.

As for sound, that is an entirely different matter and directly related to the fan speed you are running. The only person who can make that determination is you in relation to your general ambient noise and the rest of your system. Some reviews are better and offer a sound measurement at various RPM points.

Frankly, I don't think the idea that no one here has both coolers and 6 hours to burn for your pleasure is that difficult a concept to understand. Perhaps you should take a moment of pause. For someone who "already knows all that", you have a lot of questions whether you are aware of it or not.

On the contrary, that is exactly what I was trying to do. Your first post was misplaced and really targeting the wrong people. That is fine. I tried to redirect you. Your second post was rude and suggests you don't understand or care. That is not.

While a particular user may be able to give their relative and subjective impressions of one cooler or the other, no one here has both coolers, a test bench, and a relatively obscure 7 year old processor to give you precise temperature and sound data significant to you. You need to find a professional review of one or both coolers to get that data and try to find a relatively similar TDP processor for power to make the temp comparisons meaningful. I think that last part is probably a long shot, so any comparison with another 4 core will have to do. The temperature differences are going to small, one way or another.

As for sound, that is an entirely different matter and directly related to the fan speed you are running. The only person who can make that determination is you in relation to your general ambient noise and the rest of your system. Some reviews are better and offer a sound measurement at various RPM points.

Frankly, I don't think the idea that no one here has both coolers and 6 hours to burn for your pleasure is that difficult a concept to understand. Perhaps you should take a moment of pause. For someone who "already knows all that", you have a lot of questions whether you are aware of it or not.

I meant no offence with that, just stating something wrong I guess. I don't need the exact temperatures or decibells. What I am asking is to test the h100i pro on an intel processor (preferably the older ones, but any will do) and someone else to test h100x. I am not asking that both be tested from the same user, but rather 2 or more different users so I can come to a conclusion of which one is worth the price.

I would start by looking at this review of the H100x here. Now it really would have been nice if the reviewer had included the H100i Pro, but they did not. However, it does include the H115i Pro which is the slightly larger 280mm size. You can see the temp differences are a fraction of a degree even between different size units. That then suggests the difference between a same size unit (the 240mm H100i Pro) is going to be essentially non-existent. When it comes to cooler tech, we are all very much limited by the conductivity of the materials (CPU and cold plate) and not so much by small cooler differences.

The fans are different and the H100x uses the prior series "cheaper" SP120L variants that were also found the last gen. H100i GT/GTX/v2 coolers. They are effective. Many users consider them a bit loud. I do not like them at all, but I am very picky about fans. The H100i Pro comes with ML series fans that do offer a much better noise profile at medium speeds where you spend most of your time. However, these are all 120mm fans, so they are all loud at maximum. This is why you will see some rather large decibel numbers in any sound testing. There is an error in the Kit Guru sound test graph. They list the H115i Pro twice. One should be the H150i Pro. That may give you a better comparison point since it is H100i Pro with one more fan (360mm radiator, 3xML120). You can see it is significantly lower the H100x, although what would be really helpful is a 50% fan speed test. That is where you will be. Not at 100%.

The H100x is a CoolIT partner model and the Pro series is an Asetek partner model. Some people have strong feelings about one or the other and it is a brand thing. However, there is virtually no traffic about the H100x here and that is a good thing. It means it works and people don't have problems. The Pro series also has a very good track record since release. I don't think either is a bad choice. The fans bear some consideration, but really the key difference is the RGB or not. If you don't want RGB, then the H100x is a clear choice. Some people do not want to deal with extra software. Being an "i" cooler somewhat obligates you to run iCUE to get your control. If you don't like that stuff, this is an easy decision. However, be aware the H100x white LED also does not have any control. It is 100% white, 100% bright. In comparison, you could set the H100i Pro to whatever color you want, turn the brightness down, exit the software, and things will stay as they are.

This doesn't have much in the way of data, but it does have a lot of real world pictures, not promo shots. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of H100x reviews because of the narrow release market.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1023032-corsair-h100x-review/

I would start by looking at this review of the H100x here. Now it really would have been nice if the reviewer had included the H100i Pro, but they did not. However, it does include the H115i Pro which is the slightly larger 280mm size. You can see the temp differences are a fraction of a degree even between different size units. That then suggests the difference between a same size unit (the 240mm H100i Pro) is going to be essentially non-existent. When it comes to cooler tech, we are all very much limited by the conductivity of the materials (CPU and cold plate) and not so much by small cooler differences.

The fans are different and the H100x uses the prior series "cheaper" SP120L variants that were also found the last gen. H100i GT/GTX/v2 coolers. They are effective. Many users consider them a bit loud. I do not like them at all, but I am very picky about fans. The H100i Pro comes with ML series fans that do offer a much better noise profile at medium speeds where you spend most of your time. However, these are all 120mm fans, so they are all loud at maximum. This is why you will see some rather large decibel numbers in any sound testing. There is an error in the Kit Guru sound test graph. They list the H115i Pro twice. One should be the H150i Pro. That may give you a better comparison point since it is H100i Pro with one more fan (360mm radiator, 3xML120). You can see it is significantly lower the H100x, although what would be really helpful is a 50% fan speed test. That is where you will be. Not at 100%.

The H100x is a CoolIT partner model and the Pro series is an Asetek partner model. Some people have strong feelings about one or the other and it is a brand thing. However, there is virtually no traffic about the H100x here and that is a good thing. It means it works and people don't have problems. The Pro series also has a very good track record since release. I don't think either is a bad choice. The fans bear some consideration, but really the key difference is the RGB or not. If you don't want RGB, then the H100x is a clear choice. Some people do not want to deal with extra software. Being an "i" cooler somewhat obligates you to run iCUE to get your control. If you don't like that stuff, this is an easy decision. However, be aware the H100x white LED also does not have any control. It is 100% white, 100% bright. In comparison, you could set the H100i Pro to whatever color you want, turn the brightness down, exit the software, and things will stay as they are.

This doesn't have much in the way of data, but it does have a lot of real world pictures, not promo shots. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of H100x reviews because of the narrow release market.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1023032-corsair-h100x-review/

Yeah, I checked that kitguru review and I wanted to see others to confirm the noisyness. Unfortunately as you stated, there are few reviews out there. But the real performance difference seems to lie on the fans, no? The radiators performs the same, right?

Even with the different fans, the end performance is differences are tenths of a degree on the test bench. That effectively means zero. Fans are replaceable and there is no requirement you use the ones that come with it. Obviously that adds a cost factor is buying new ones and the price of 2 x ML120 fans (RGB or not) likely makes the coolers the same total price. If you are worried about the fans, the Pro series has an inherent advantage. However, I still think this really turns on the RGB vs no RGB. There is no meaningful performance difference between the two coolers.

Even with the different fans, the end performance is differences are tenths of a degree on the test bench. That effectively means zero. Fans are replaceable and there is no requirement you use the ones that come with it. Obviously that adds a cost factor is buying new ones and the price of 2 x ML120 fans (RGB or not) likely makes the coolers the same total price. If you are worried about the fans, the Pro series has an inherent advantage. However, I still think this really turns on the RGB vs no RGB. There is no meaningful performance difference between the two coolers.

Quick question, can you control max speed for fans in bios? Because i’d like to be able to control that. And do you think that with my specs, i can overclock?

You can overclock with either cooler. No limitation based on cooler choice.

On the H100x, you will have the pump wire going to one MB connection and the fans to another fan header. You will have full BIOS options, although the pump is meant to run at maximum 12v/100% all the time.

With the H100i Pro, you will have 3 pump speed settings including a very quiet 1100 rpm one meant for desktop work only. The fans can run their range from iCUE control. You can quickly change their behavior from the desktop. The value for this may depend on your motherboard control options. If you don't have very good BIOS fan control, the H100i Pro may be an asset. (**You do need 1 free USB 2.0 internal header for the H100i Pro. That is how the cooler communicates with the software).

You can overclock with either cooler. No limitation based on cooler choice.

On the H100x, you will have the pump wire going to one MB connection and the fans to another fan header. You will have full BIOS options, although the pump is meant to run at maximum 12v/100% all the time.

With the H100i Pro, you will have 3 pump speed settings including a very quiet 1100 rpm one meant for desktop work only. The fans can run their range from iCUE control. You can quickly change their behavior from the desktop. The value for this may depend on your motherboard control options. If you don't have very good BIOS fan control, the H100i Pro may be an asset. (**You do need 1 free USB 2.0 internal header for the H100i Pro. That is how the cooler communicates with the software).

No no, i meant by my motherboard. Is it capable of overclocking, if you know?

That sucks. I think then I might be going with the h100i pro. If you have the h100i pro, may I ask how long the usb header is? Because my usb headers are on the south side of my motherboard, under the pcie slots.

Specifically can the Gigabyte ga z77m-d3h be overclocked? I don't know. I would assume so, but there are boards from the past that would lock you out. As far as coolers go, if the board will let you overclock, both coolers are capable of handling any increased heat/wattage.

Specifically can the Gigabyte ga z77m-d3h be overclocked? I don't know. I would assume so, but there are boards from the past that would lock you out. As far as coolers go, if the board will let you overclock, both coolers are capable of handling any increased heat/wattage.

Good to hear. But what about fan control? Can you control the max speeds they can spin or can you only change at what speed they should be spinning at?

Good to hear. But what about fan control? Can you control the max speeds they can spin or can you only change at what speed they should be spinning at?

I think I’ll be taking thr h100i pro. It’s on a discount, now costing $110, $30 more expensive. What do you think?

I think the Pro is the best choice for anyone who does not hate having to run software to manage the cooler. The Pro you will manage from iCUE, although it is not strictly necessary to keep the software running for normal use.

The H100x would get its fan control from your bios fan controls. I have no idea what those are for your model, but surely it is some basic 3 point curve.

I think the Pro is the best choice for anyone who does not hate having to run software to manage the cooler. The Pro you will manage from iCUE, although it is not strictly necessary to keep the software running for normal use.

The H100x would get its fan control from your bios fan controls. I have no idea what those are for your model, but surely it is some basic 3 point curve.

Thanks for the help. I looked up some reviews of the h100i pro and it does seem a bit loud at max speed but it certainly performs well. My choice is the h100i pro mostly because of the fans and icue. Again, I appreciate your insights!

I don't think you have a lot of options for that case. It appears to be like many of the current mid-size models with a "shallow top" that precludes top mounting the radiator. Which ever you choose, that 240mm radiator will need to be front intake. The rear fan should be exhaust. The top fans are debatable. I always lean toward exhaust in this situation to move the warmer air off the AIO out the top, along with usually even warmer air from the VRM and RAM. However, some users say they get better results with the top as intake and try to blow everything out the back. This can work if you have a lot of rear mesh. If it is mostly a solid panel, I would start with top exhaust.

I don't think you have a lot of options for that case. It appears to be like many of the current mid-size models with a "shallow top" that precludes top mounting the radiator. Which ever you choose, that 240mm radiator will need to be front intake. The rear fan should be exhaust. The top fans are debatable. I always lean toward exhaust in this situation to move the warmer air off the AIO out the top, along with usually even warmer air from the VRM and RAM. However, some users say they get better results with the top as intake and try to blow everything out the back. This can work if you have a lot of rear mesh. If it is mostly a solid panel, I would start with top exhaust.

That’s the part which sucks. I completely forgot about my case when ordering the h100i pro. Nevertheless, shall i go rear as exhaust and top as intake?

I would start with top and rear exhaust, but that is my preference. The scientific model would to pick one, run for a 2 weeks, then try the other.

There are a lot of cases now with the shallow top but you shouldn't necessarily consider this a mistake. You likely get better coolant/CPU temps on the front than the top. The front rail is always going to be a couple of degrees cooler than the space above the VRM and RAM, even when at cold idle. I can see this all the time with my top/bottom radiator set-up. At idle the coolant will come off the CPU/GPU and pass through the bottom radiator, then it gets "re-heated" as it goes through the second radiator at the top. Just kind of a funny idle state, but it demonstrates the temperature differences in the case and local ambient temp is always additive to the hardware totals. +3C air in that part of the case means +3 coolant and +3 hardware.

The only monkey-wrench might be the front baffle on the case. Obviously a solid panel with openings at top/bottom is more restrictive than a straight mesh opening. Whether it has any impact on airflow through the radiator is something I can't answer without that specific case.

I would start with top and rear exhaust, but that is my preference. The scientific model would to pick one, run for a 2 weeks, then try the other.

There are a lot of cases now with the shallow top but you shouldn't necessarily consider this a mistake. You likely get better coolant/CPU temps on the front than the top. The front rail is always going to be a couple of degrees cooler than the space above the VRM and RAM, even when at cold idle. I can see this all the time with my top/bottom radiator set-up. At idle the coolant will come off the CPU/GPU and pass through the bottom radiator, then it gets "re-heated" as it goes through the second radiator at the top. Just kind of a funny idle state, but it demonstrates the temperature differences in the case and local ambient temp is always additive to the hardware totals. +3C air in that part of the case means +3 coolant and +3 hardware. The only monkey-wrench might be the front baffle on the case. Obviously a solid panel with openings at top/bottom is more restrictive than a straight mesh opening. Whether it has any impact on airflow through the radiator is something I can't answer without that specific case.

Gotcha. I will start with top and rear exhaust, and ill let it run for some time (when i get my h100i pro). But how should i mount my radiator fans? To pull the air or push?