The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 03:18 PM

POST ID # = 567737
jfjong Reputation: 10
Default All Corsair SSD and freezing problems

Right. Even lazily browsing the forum, the single most serious problem many users report - including myself - are the random freezes of most Corsair SSD drives.

Yes, I did do a fresh install on a factory-new (thus I imagine secure wiped etc.) disk. I did do tinkering, which sort of helped but did not solve the freezing problem completely, etc. etc. etc.

I am a Senior Consultant, Windows Server and client platforms expert, MCSE, MCT and all those things and I can say two things:

- A fully debugged product should not require customers to do what I am doing now, search the web for unprofessional and undocumented/unconfirmed "solutions", skimming forums, tinkering with non-standard OS settings (Windows 7 in this case).
- I use my computers as tools for my business. I expect that the components I build them from perform according to normal expectations. If not, they have a direct impact on my business. This is far from good. See below.

It seems to me that the current crop of especially Force 3 60 and 120GB drives all exhibit the freezing problem. Corsair is selling a flawed product on to unsuspecting customers.

I demand a definite fix to ALL freezing issues with their SSD disks ASAP.

Guys: it can in my view considering customer testimony, no doubt, be proven that the Corsair SSD products are flawed, which then opens an option for a class-action suit. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Action now!

Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
oatmeal's PC Specs

POST ID # = 567742
oatmeal Reputation: 10

I've had a Force 120GB GT for over 6 months and since 1.3.3 haven't had a single issue. A simple Google search would have given you 3 other manufacturers to suit your needs for a STABLE drive (aka MARVELL!). As a consumer, part of the fault lies with you for not researching the product enough before buying it.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 AM

POST ID # = 567806
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 124

-Are the SSDs on firmware 1.3.3?

This is a support forum, This does not mean most of the Corsair SSDs have the freezing problem. Pretty sure the freezing problems have been fixed by now.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 AM

POST ID # = 567827

My drive is 1.3.3 and judging from other posts, so are many of those of other users that have the freezing problem. Some users have even downgraded to 1.3.2 because of this, stating that the previous version had less of the freezing. But it would BSOD at times instead.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM
salon software's PC Specs

POST ID # = 568428
salon software Reputation: 10
Default in defense of Corsair SSD, mine worked after tweaks

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...6&postcount=13

I detail above how, I have no business tie to corsair
just hope it helps someone else.

Last edited by Wired; 03-21-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: removed irrelevant link

Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Warland's PC Specs

POST ID # = 568973
Warland Reputation: 10

I've had issues with V1.3.0 as well. No issues anymore since 1.3.3 and I'm happy with it.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM

POST ID # = 569416
t0msbt0ne Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjong View Post
Right. Even lazily browsing the forum, the single most serious problem many users report - including myself - are the random freezes of most Corsair SSD drives.
--SNIP--
Guys: it can in my view considering customer testimony, no doubt, be proven that the Corsair SSD products are flawed, which then opens an option for a class-action suit.
Basically my thoughts quite exactly, thank you. Being an owner of an 15" MacBookPro (late 2011 model) and Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD I feel like the latter is the biggest mistake I've managed to purchase for years. (To even sweeten the deal, Corsair don't even have a way of upgrading the firmware other than finding a suitable Win7 system). I guess the joke's on me for being dumb and cheap enough to buy this piece of you-know-what and not go for a more expensive competitive product. Well, enough of that. I'll give this sub-product max a month and then it's buy-buy Corsair for life.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM

POST ID # = 589928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
The Corsair Force Series SSDs continue to offer blistering performance with an awesome combination of read and write speeds.
What a load of utter bollocks...unstable doesn't even start to describe these drives.Regular/random hangs when the disk activity light is brighter than a nuclear explosion. Nothing to do and no solution from Corsair. Crossed off my list and anybody asking me for advise (as an IT professional, that means quite a few people).

Last edited by Wired; 07-13-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: clarified quote

Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 589998
Wired Reputation: 32

Merged posts into the same thread.

1. Please post your system specs so that we may suggest troubleshooting steps.
2. Have you tried secure erasing the drive?
3. Have you tried FW 5.02? (Firmware links are on the left sidebar).
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 AM
tundrowalker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590000
tundrowalker Reputation: 10

I guess this explains the random, few-second freezes I was getting before I secure erased my ssd and reinstalled everything. I thought I was getting a virus. I'd web surf, then suddenly the cursor would just hang ... frozen for a few seconds ... couldn't do anything. I'd ctrl+alt+del, and even that would hang on a black screen for a second or so before finally popping up the menu to pick task manager. I was sifting through all kinds of win 7 forums, b/c I thought that was the issue. But, after secure erasing my ssd and reinstalling everything, the issue is gone. However, I can't pin-point this specifically on the ssd. Like I said, I may have had a virus .. a virus both MS Sec Essentials and Malwarebytes couldn't detect (unlikely, but never know). It could have been corruption with the win 7 file system or something; the ssd drive does have to talk to the win 7 os, and I know from Vista experience that things can slowly, creepily start getting corrupted at times and make the os act bizarre without you knowing what's really going on. My point is, unless I have tangible proof / drive metrics that my drive was causing my freezing, then anything I say about it is mere conjecture. Computers are still complicated things.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 PM
richardd43's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590309
richardd43 Reputation: 10

It really bothers me when someone classifies a brand as junk.

I have one computer that has 3 old 40G drives in RAID 0 and have never had a failure.

I recently upgraded another computer from 1 Force 3 too 2 and put them in RAID 0 also, again with no problems.

2 other computers plus my laptop run the old 120G drives and all work great.

With that bit of information I cannot say that all Corsair SSDs are junk.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
jewie27's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590620
jewie27 Reputation: 10
Default update your firmware

In November 2011 I built my new gaming pc using a Corsair Force 3 SSD. I was getting blue screens upon bootup. After updating the firmware to the latest version, my drive has been running smoothly ever since.

Update your firmware.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 AM
filippo1974's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590675
filippo1974 Reputation: 10

I'm another of those who experienced BSODs and freezes (Corsair Force GT).

As I wrote in other threads, the only way I found to make the SSD work flawlessly was to stick with MS AHCI driver. As soon as I install chipset-maker-specific AHCI driver, freezes and BSODs come back at once.

I've written in this forum that I got freezes using the Intel RST driver (I tried both the latest one - 11.2 - and the version recommended by Intel - 10.8), but recently I moved the SSD to a completely different rig (AMD 780g chipset + Phenom X4 2350e); and *again*, while I use MS AHCI driver no problem, but as soon as I install AMD AHCI driver I'm readily welcomed with freezes and BSODs.

Clearly this device does *not* live well with vendor-specific AHCI controller drivers. Since I read in various posts that the main difference between these drivers and the MS AHCI driver is the power management features, this makes me think that the SSD has a faulty power management. The fact that tinkering with SATA power management hidden settings in Windows 7 alleviates the problem seems to confirm this hypothesis.

And, before You ask me:
* YES, I upgraded to latest firmware (5.02)
* YES, I performed a secure erase after upgrading the FW
* YES, both my motherboards do have the latest BIOS

This was my first SSD, but I think it will also be the last for a long time. I'm going back to mechanical HDD. I'll relegate this SSD for use as boot drive in an old hardware I'm putting together for a self-built NAS.

I've been a Corsair customer for a long time, I do have other Corsair products and I'm very happy with them, but in this case I must really say I'm disappointed with the lack of compatibility of this SSD with vendor-specific software.

Regards,
Filippo

Last edited by filippo1974; 07-17-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 AM

POST ID # = 590677
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 124

The drive you have sounds faulty, It should work for both Intel and AMD chipset drivers.
If you want to replace it, Request an RMA.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
filippo1974's PC Specs

POST ID # = 590748
filippo1974 Reputation: 10

Hi Toasted,

I know that requesting an RMA would be the ultimate resource, but I just want to make sure I've tried all possible workarounds before opting for that. Continuing to search around the forum I noticed this post:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96663

I decided to try also this remedy. It looks like it is somehow working, in the sense that I've been using the PC for about 30 minutes without any apparent problems (prior to applying the suggested registry fix, the hangs/BSODs occurred within a few minutes, if not seconds, after boot).

I've noticed other forums where users complain about flaws in handling power management features by SandForce controllers. It looks like it is my case also. I'm not completely happy knowing I had to tweak an undocumented registry entry to fix (hopely!) my issue, but I still hope that SandForce will deliver a firmware update that will definitely fix this issue.

Best regards,
Filippo