Corsair Community

No Fan Control With Commander Pro

Zimmy75

Hello All,

I am seeking some help trying to solve an issue that I've had for quite some time.

I have the H100i V2 cooler, the Commander Pro, the RGB hub, 4 of the RGB strips and 5 of the LL 120 MM fans.

Prior to getting 2 LL fans to replace the stock fans that came with the dual radiator, I was able to control the pump and fans as well as the case fans with the commander pro with no issues. When I swapped the fans on the rad over to the LL series and connected them to Commander Pro I have not been able to control any of my fans.

The 5 fans are plugged into Commander Pro, ports 1-5 in order, no open spaces between. Also connected is a USB slot connected to the RGB controller as well as 1 LED strip connection. The connection from the Commander Pro to the motherboard is on a USB hub, also connected to power via SATA. The connection from the H100i V2 goes to my other remaining USB header on the motherboard, CPU fan goes to the corresponding pin in the motherboard,

The fans, as well as the LED's work and, are spinning. I am able to adjust the LED's on each fan. It doesn't seem to matter which profile I select be it quiet, balanced, extreme or custom I am not able to get the fans to change speed.

I have tried various ways to correct this based off of the previous feed-back on these forums and nothing seems to work.

If anyone has any insight on where I should go next it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the wall of text.

Can you post a screen shot of the Performance Tab with the fans curves for the Commander Pro? It is unusual for you to have fan power to all, but not control. Each is a separate individual fan header and while complete power loss to the entire unit is possible, 5 coinciding individual PWM control failures seems extraordinary. Incidentally, the 1-5 sequential order thing does not apply to Commander Pro fan control. It most definitely applies to the RGB Lighting Hubs that go along with it. Those must start at 1 and not skip slots.

We need to solve the above issue, however I can't think of any advantage in your situation for using the Commander Pro to power the new LL on the radiator vs the cooler's own fan controller. Both are full controllable through iCUE. When on the Commander Pro you'll need to jump through some hoops to make it do the right thing from a control perspective. The H100i coolant temp for the Commander Pro is not a native value and will disappear if iCUE is not running. Meanwhile the cooler has the sensor internally and will always be able to use that and keep the fans at a steady speed and not do the blast off on boot and restart.

Thank you for the response. I have to grab a screenshot when I get home after work.

If I remember correctly when I first installed the unit, I tried to attach the fans to the controller on the H100i and they wouldn't work. The only way I could get them to work was through the Commander Pro. I will also attempt to revert back to that and try again later tonight as well.

If I remember correctly when I first installed the unit, I tried to attach the fans to the controller on the H100i and they wouldn't work.

Not spin at all? Or not controllable? If they don't spin on two controllers, we are looking at a hardware issue on the fan or wire itself. PWM fans should always spin with power. If not controllable, then we have some more things to look at.

Can you post a screen shot of the Performance Tab with the fans curves for the Commander Pro? It is unusual for you to have fan power to all, but not control. Each is a separate individual fan header and while complete power loss to the entire unit is possible, 5 coinciding individual PWM control failures seems extraordinary. Incidentally, the 1-5 sequential order thing does not apply to Commander Pro fan control. It most definitely applies to the RGB Lighting Hubs that go along with it. Those must start at 1 and not skip slots.

We need to solve the above issue, however I can't think of any advantage in your situation for using the Commander Pro to power the new LL on the radiator vs the cooler's own fan controller. Both are full controllable through iCUE. When on the Commander Pro you'll need to jump through some hoops to make it do the right thing from a control perspective. The H100i coolant temp for the Commander Pro is not a native value and will disappear if iCUE is not running. Meanwhile the cooler has the sensor internally and will always be able to use that and keep the fans at a steady speed and not do the blast off on boot and restart.

Here are the screen Shots.

EDIT: I attempted to connect the fans back to the radiator controller, however coming of off there is only 1 four-pin and one three-pin connector. I need 2 four-pins.

To further complicate things, from a cold start I get about 10 usable minutes out of the computer before the temps ramp up into the 60-70 degree Celcius rage and my computer starts to bog down from even just surfing the web and having Spotify running. I have tried to re-apply thermal paste twice thinking that was the issue and it has not fixed it. Has my pump died even though it's reading that it is pumping at 3000 RPM?

1175035332_DesktopScreenshot2020_01_01-00_13_33_68.thumb.png.a4d4182bba99072967d4f6600dddf15f.png

701011055_DesktopScreenshot2020_01_01-00_13_17_86.thumb.png.8c475c4f2a1cd27bea17b7f86eeab060.png

Edited by Zimmy75

Update:

Okay, so I'm an idiot. The fans actually do adjust speeds when I change between quiet, balanced and extreme. I just tried it and watched the numbers, they move. I guess I was just confused because I was expecting all of the numbers to match and be the same RPM wise as well as be more noticeable in sound. Fans 1/2 are on the front running around 1400 RPM on extreme. Fan 3 is in the back running at 1350. Fans 4 and 5 are on top running at just shy of 1700. Is that all the faster the LL series fans run? (just answered my own question 600 - 1500 +/- 10% RPM.) Guess I need to invest in better fans. I may just replace my cooler as well since it's 3 1/2 years old. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Zimmy75

If I could step in here with what appears to be an omission on your part Zimmy75. Looking at the first screenshot (your CoPro), you are using the built-in profile "Extreme". This and the other two built-in profiles ("Quiet" & "Balanced") will have a sensor source pointing at the CPU package which isn't ideal.

If you want to do things following convention (a.k.a. like the H100i V2 would if you had used the pump's fan headers to control your radiator fans) for your Commander Pro, you should make new profiles (on the CoPro) and point the "Sensor source" to "H100i V2 Temp" - the liquid temperature for your CLC. This should be available from the Commander Pro's ""Sensor source"" drop-down list for a custom fan curve as it should be telegraphed to the CoPro via USB. Side Note: This connectivity will only be available once the device drivers are loaded by Windows so you might end up loud fans until the said device drivers load.

Here's some examples I made for you using the LL120 Fans (600-1500 RPM range); hence the need for a few extra 600rpm entries due to this being the minimum value on the RPM range. These should approximate what you would have with the default profiles for your CLC:

No code has to be inserted here.

Good luck!

If I could step in here with what appears to be an omission on your part Zimmy75. Looking at the first screenshot (your CoPro), you are using the built-in profile "Extreme". This and the other two built-in profiles ("Quiet" & "Balanced") will have a sensor source pointing at the CPU package which isn't ideal.

If you want to do things following convention (a.k.a. like the H100i V2 would if you had used the pump's fan headers to control your radiator fans) for your Commander Pro, you should make new profiles (on the CoPro) and point the "Sensor source" to "H100i V2 Temp" - the liquid temperature for your CLC. This should be available from the Commander Pro's ""Sensor source"" drop-down list for a custom fan curve as it should be telegraphed to the CoPro via USB. Side Note: This connectivity will only be available once the device drivers are loaded by Windows so you might end up loud fans until the said device drivers load.

Here's some examples I made for you using the LL120 Fans (600-1500 RPM range); hence the need for a few extra 600rpm entries due to this being the minimum value on the RPM range. These should approximate what you would have with the default profiles for your CLC:

No code has to be inserted here.

Good luck!

So you think if I just make a new profile it might fix my heating issues?

I am attempting to make a new profile and I don't see anywhere to select a sensor source.

PS. If you wish, you could use one of the thermal couplers that came with your CoPro (there are 4 in the box) and tape it near the exhaust of your radiator. This temperature would be in the ball park of your coolant temperature and removes USB connectivity from the equation. This temperature source would be available to the CoPro right from boot time. All that would be required (after installing the coupler itself) is to set the "Sensor source" for your new fan curves to "Temp #1" or whatever ICUE decides to call this thermal coupler's connection to your CoPro.

Note: I added this as a new comment rather than edit my earlier post as I've had issues in the past with modifying posts with tabular content.

So you think if I just make a new profile it might fix my heating issues?

I am attempting to make a new profile and I don't see anywhere to select a sensor source.

It should be there when you create a new profile only for custom curves:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37176&stc=1&d=1577862863

Also, from an earlier post of yours:

EDIT: I attempted to connect the fans back to the radiator controller, however coming of off there is only 1 four-pin and one three-pin connector. I need 2 four-pins.

Perfectly normal so only one fan can report the speed - it'll get screwed up if the fan port is getting 2 tachometer signals.

Capture.JPG.b795d09a1f4ba9dbcb743932f935f569.JPG

First, you don't need a new profile necessarily. You need some fan curves. Take a look at some of the tutorials or my iCUE Tips and Tricks - I have a video on doing just that.

Second, you don't have any of temp sensors for the Commander Pro connected. Those are actually the best control sources for your fan curves. These can also be quite helpful in diagnosing any cooling issues. For example, put one on the radiator intake, put another just over the pump head and put a third one somewhere else in the case (hard to say where as we've no idea what case you have).

Third - your coolant temperature is 38C. That's very high for idle (in most cases). If you want us to examine your cooling issues further, you're going to need to provide a LOT more information. For example -

1) What is your ambient/room temperature?

2) How are your fans configured (intake vs exhaust?)

3) How is your radiator configured (intake vs exhaust) and where is it installed?

4) Do you have the cooler properly powered (look in the AIO FAQ linked in by signature for details on this)?

5) What are your vCore readings (or vCPU in the iCUE Dashboard)?

6) What case is this in?

So ... if you want some help with your heat problem, we need to have that information (as a start) to being to look at it.

First, you don't need a new profile necessarily. You need some fan curves. Take a look at some of the tutorials or my iCUE Tips and Tricks - I have a video on doing just that.

Second, you don't have any of temp sensors for the Commander Pro connected. Those are actually the best control sources for your fan curves. These can also be quite helpful in diagnosing any cooling issues. For example, put one on the radiator intake, put another just over the pump head and put a third one somewhere else in the case (hard to say where as we've no idea what case you have).

Third - your coolant temperature is 38C. That's very high for idle (in most cases). If you want us to examine your cooling issues further, you're going to need to provide a LOT more information. For example -

1) What is your ambient/room temperature?

2) How are your fans configured (intake vs exhaust?)

3) How is your radiator configured (intake vs exhaust) and where is it installed?

4) Do you have the cooler properly powered (look in the AIO FAQ linked in by signature for details on this)?

5) What are your vCore readings (or vCPU in the iCUE Dashboard)?

6) What case is this in?

So ... if you want some help with your heat problem, we need to have that information (as a start) to being to look at it.

Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T

1) Ambient temp 70 degrees

2) 2 front fans intake, rear is exhaust

3) Radiator is configured as an exhaust located on the top of the case EDITED: from intake

4) yes

5) see image below

1690511077_DesktopScreenshot2020_01_01-02_37_57_54.thumb.png.ae5477ae268f0eefbe9dc5b3fcfc3821.png

Edited by Zimmy75

That cooler is at 75C in that screen shot.

Assuming that you have fans on that cooler and they are connected to the Commander Pro, that should never, ever, ever happen. That's a sign of a failing cooler. If you are within the 5 year warranty period, contact Corsair for a replacement. At 38C, that may be an environmental/installation issue. At 75C, it's not.

Yikes, we should have started with coolant temp. Unfortunately that seems to be a common end for the v2 line. You’ve got some kind of blockage inside the cooler. That one has had its day. You might also consider the H115i Pro vs Platinum. If you already have the fans you want and already have the required hardware to run RGB fans (Commander Pro, RGB hub), then paying a premium for a Platinum and two extra ML-RGB fans and a built in lighting controller you won’t use may not make sense.

The fan speeds were so erratic on the Commander Pro because the default curves are tied to CPU temp with no delay or hysteresis built in. It’s a permanent state of constant change. There is no reason to ever use these. First thing I do when creating a new iCUE profile is run to the Commander Pro fan section and get them off the Quiet default. Even there, my 6 fans will race up and down as I open and close folders and web browsers. See the suggestions above.

Yikes, we should have started with coolant temp. Unfortunately that seems to be a common end for the v2 line. You’ve got some kind of blockage inside the cooler. That one has had its day. You might also consider the H115i Pro vs Platinum. If you already have the fans you want and already have the required hardware to run RGB fans (Commander Pro, RGB hub), then paying a premium for a Platinum and two extra ML-RGB fans and a built in lighting controller you won’t use may not make sense.

The fan speeds were so erratic on the Commander Pro because the default curves are tied to CPU temp with no delay or hysteresis built in. It’s a permanent state of constant change. There is no reason to ever use these. First thing I do when creating a new iCUE profile is run to the Commander Pro fan section and get them off the Quiet default. Even there, my 6 fans will race up and down as I open and close folders and web browsers. See the suggestions above.

I went with the 115i Pro, it's ordered now I just have to wait for it to get here. I'll purchase two more RGB fans at a later date. Thank you everyone again for all of the tips and pointers, it is much appreciated. I will keep them all in mind when I install the new hardware.

Happy New Year!

• 2 months later...

I hope it's ok I'm posting here. I was searching for a resolution to my problem and this was the most recent thread I came across. I'm not very familiar with the Corsair forum and wouldn't even know how to start my own.

I just installed a Commander pro along with new ML120 fans as a pull on my H150i. I also installed two EK fans as a pull on my GPU radiator and one more EK fan as case exhaust. So..a total of 6 fans connected to the CoPro. Everything is fine with the Corsair fans but the EK fans are all over the place with rpm's. I've tried everything in iCUE to resolve it. Made my own fan profiles. Used the default profiles. Tried fixed percentages and rpm. Changed the detection setting from auto detect to pwm, the fans still run all over the place from literally stopping one second(visual) then jumping to 3000+ rpm's according to iCUE display the next second. I don't even have a curve that goes higher than 1500. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas what is causing this, or are the RK fans simply not compatible with the CoPro? If not compatible that would be a real bummer.

Thanks...

Edits for damn auto-correct and Swype errors plus another question-- In my iCUE AIO tab fan settings the scale is temp x percentage. In the CoPro tab it's temp x rpm(0 to 5000). I find using a percentage much easier and when most fans don't go over 2000 it's also much easier to make a good curve. When only making a curve for a 0 to 1500 fan using a scale that is 0 to 5000 it makes things very tight. I couldn't find a way to change the scale. Is it not possible or am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks again...

Edited by DerekAz

Unfortunately, the Vardar PWM fans are not compatible with Corsair controllers. The behavior you are experiencing is commonly reported and no different for me. Some type of PWM signal incompatibility. Other fans to watch out for are the BeQuiet Silent Wings PWM series and Noctua Industrial 3000 rpm A14/F12. The 2000 rpm version works as expected.

The only two solutions I can suggest are: 1) running them from the MB fan headers. I think the Hero X has a 2 pin 10K thermistor probe input. That's a $7 cable with a sensor at the end. You then tape the sensor end to the GPU radiator exhaust. Radiator exhaust equals coolant temp and you can then make a steady and not overly reactive curve. I ran my Titan Hybrid like this for quite a while. 2) Find another small PWM hub (like a circuit board) for the Vardar fans which then uses a single control PWM wire to the Commander. The C-Pro will be interpreting the hub's PWM signal vs the Vardar, however that would depend on the PWM hub and I don't have a specific suggestion. This is theoretical, but someone out there may have already done it.

No adjustment for fan speed scale at this time. However, one of my early lessons in using iCUE was to stop dragging points around and input numbers into the X:Y box in the lower left part of the graph. Much easier that dragging them around and winding up with odd values (1339 rpm, etc.)

That's a shame...I guess I will have to invest in a few more ML fans. Was just hoping to use these since I already had them and they were brand new. Yes sir, I already have temp probes in all the locations you speak of and and could use the MB headers but iCUE is my only fan software and that would mean adjusting in UEFI. iCUE sees my GPU and it's all easy I just need compatible fans apparently. Yes, I usually manually input into the X:Y box I just prefer the percentage scale over the RPM scale. Hopefully some day iCUE will add the option. I appreciate the quick response....Thank You