Corsair Community

jamesballer

so i've been doing research on new coolers, and in that process i've seen a lot of posted temps way lower than mine under idle. my processor seems to be running too hot. most things i have seen, peoples temps are in my range under heavy load, while mine is high under idle. any help? i'm attaching a screen grab to show what i mean.

also, this is idle. under load, processor temp is around 80-85, sometimes peaking barely over 90.

490554739_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.e588658bc3933f5c3e6377d3c845d033.png

I see a couple of things going on here.

First, yeah, this is a bit warm for a 4% load. I notice, however, that your vCore (VCPU in Link) is at 1.22V. At idle, you shouldn't be at more than 1.2V. I suspect that you'll need to check your voltage settings in the BIOS. Asus is particularly notorious for having default settings that increase the vCore. Would you happen to know what the max VCore is that you see?

Additionally, your cooler is running a bit warm as well. 37.6C should be a load temperature for the cooler, not an idle temperature. What's your ambient temperature? Are your pump RPMs steady? The cooler temp would lead me to think that you have it mounted correctly but are also dealing with some case airflow issues. How do you have this mounted?

I see a couple of things going on here.

First, yeah, this is a bit warm for a 4% load. I notice, however, that your vCore (VCPU in Link) is at 1.22V. At idle, you shouldn't be at more than 1.2V. I suspect that you'll need to check your voltage settings in the BIOS. Asus is particularly notorious for having default settings that increase the vCore. Would you happen to know what the max VCore is that you see?

Additionally, your cooler is running a bit warm as well. 37.6C should be a load temperature for the cooler, not an idle temperature. What's your ambient temperature? Are your pump RPMs steady? The cooler temp would lead me to think that you have it mounted correctly but are also dealing with some case airflow issues. How do you have this mounted?

i don't know what the max VCore is, no. how do i check? it seems to fluctuate between 1.20 and 1.23 on the Link application. i don't have overclock, just the standard setup for OC of ram. got 3200 and want it to run at that.

pump rpms seem to stay steady, fluctuating about +/- 100RPM. ambient temp is about 78 degrees Fahrenheit, whatever that conversion is. its top mounted, with 2 140mm fans on the front pulling air in, and back fan pushing out. the case is this https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Carbide-Series%E2%84%A2-Air-540-Arctic-White-High-Airflow-ATX-Cube-Case/p/CC-9011048-WW which seems to have a lot of flow. all vents and grilles were cleaned last month and still are free of obstructions. i've attached a pic of my Link software temps while running fortnite. this is frustrating. been looking at a new cooler.

1062869471_Screenshot(8).thumb.png.78729baea8764f5e4f029416e81b63be.png

How quickly does the liquid coolant warm up? What happens if you open up the side of the case?

What I'm trying to work through here is if we have a partial blockage, bad mount or airflow issues. If your fan speeds aren't pushing enough cool air in, especially when under GPU load, the GPU waste heat will warm up your coolant ...

How quickly does the liquid coolant warm up? What happens if you open up the side of the case?

What I'm trying to work through here is if we have a partial blockage, bad mount or airflow issues. If your fan speeds aren't pushing enough cool air in, especially when under GPU load, the GPU waste heat will warm up your coolant ...

seems to warm up relatively quickly. pulling the side of the case off didn't make a difference. seemed like it did, but then temps went back up to 75-80C. i think i have the q control on the fans on performance, along with Link at the same setting. i have a big 140 mm exhaust fan too. cooler fan is pushing out and up at the top of the case. curious if maybe a ****ty paste was used? had an issue one time of it running around 90C, and i kinda tightened down the actual cooler part that touches the processor, and it dropped back down to what its running at now. maybe i should just buy a new cooler and a better paste..... coolant temp is currently at almost 45C playing fortnite for about an hour.

Did a prime95 stress test. Temp shots up to 100c instantly and red bios light on my motherboard lit up immediately. I shut it down as fast as I could. Trying to see things in my bios, but it’s all normal. Or so I think. I’ll post a pic. I’m at a loss.

A2039291-A6A2-4CF2-A2C2-8A38838D9D85.thumb.jpeg.fd46dfb6a77029fb75a3c97d94b7e040.jpeg

Ummm ... what ... you have the q-control on what???

You need to disable Q-Fan Control on the fan port that the H100i is plugged into. And let it cooler manage the fan speed. See the Cooler FAQ, Section B.

I believe it is off? In bios it says everything is disabled. Picture to follow.

image.thumb.jpg.4883bfa90cc62a0ead2799fb11e539f2.jpg

OK. Phew. That's correct then.

It sounds like you have a partial blockage and that's impact your performance across the board. But before we confirm that, check your mount - make sure that all of the screws are tightened down, especially the standoff screws (I've done this, btw). And if you've had the cooler more than a year or so, then it wouldn't hurt to replace the paste. But I don't think that the paste would do it and the fact that your coolant is warming up leads me to think that it isn't a contact issues. But let's be certain.

From there, you can open a support ticket for a RMA. You'll need your receipt but that cooler has a 5 year warranty.

OK. Phew. That's correct then.

It sounds like you have a partial blockage and that's impact your performance across the board. But before we confirm that, check your mount - make sure that all of the screws are tightened down, especially the standoff screws (I've done this, btw). And if you've had the cooler more than a year or so, then it wouldn't hurt to replace the paste. But I don't think that the paste would do it and the fact that your coolant is warming up leads me to think that it isn't a contact issues. But let's be certain.

From there, you can open a support ticket for a RMA. You'll need your receipt but that cooler has a 5 year warranty.

for sure man. thanks for the quick replies!! i'll shut everything down and check that. i shouldn't remove the head of the cooler without having new past should i? i'd just like to see what the whole situation with that is. i'll check screws tonight. lets ssay it is partial blockage. how can i fix that? or is that something i would have to send in? i bought the computer from another party who built it, so i don't have the receipt. unfortunately. may just end up getting a new cooler if that is the case and get some fresh paste and go from there!

If you remove the mounting, you should repaste, yes.

If it's partial blockage, you aren't going to be able to fix that. That would be an RMA claim. If you don't have a receipt that would be a problem. :(

That said, there is the new H100i PRO that just released. :)

Archived