Corsair Community

HS1A (3.5mm) sound

Dims

This headset has decent sound but requires more volume input compared to my old headset.In-game explosions sound weak, i think its due to the bass being flat.

On Ventrilo this headset sounds fine and the mic works good.

Still messing with the headset and my HT Omega Claro+ sound card but so far i received better sound in games from my old $40 headset.

I couldn't get the quality of sound i wanted out of them, ended up eating the restocking fee and return shipping.

I'm no audio expert but i could notice a difference in sound quality between my desktop speakers,HS1A and my old headset in-game/listening to music.

This is Corsair first attempt at making headsets, maybe next time we might see a pair that is geared towards gamers.

Did you try increasing the bass?

I tried turning up the bass, also tried using the following settings Dolby headset with Dolby prologicII and tried DTS Neo7, 7.1 Virtual, messing with EQ and FlexBass. I just couldn't get the sound in-game to sound like it should for the price i paid.

I tested the headset in Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

In Team Fortress 2 the pyro flamethrower sound was flat. it was like you turned the EQ 30Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz and 250Hz all the way down. the same problem with explosions in-game.

In Battlefield Bad Company 2 i had the same problem with explosions not sounding like they should.

It would be nice to see if anyone else with the same HS1A headset notices the same thing while playing games. see if the ones i sent back for a refund were damaged or if all HS1A sound like that.

I tried turning up the bass, also tried using the following settings Dolby headset with Dolby prologicII and tried DTS Neo7, 7.1 Virtual, messing with EQ and FlexBass. I just couldn't get the sound in-game to sound like it should for the price i paid.

I tested the headset in Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

In Team Fortress 2 the pyro flamethrower sound was flat. it was like you turned the EQ 30Hz, 60Hz, 120Hz and 250Hz all the way down. the same problem with explosions in-game.

In Battlefield Bad Company 2 i had the same problem with explosions not sounding like they should.

It would be nice to see if anyone else with the same HS1A headset notices the same thing while playing games. see if the ones i sent back for a refund were damaged or if all HS1A sound like that.

Now you make me worried lol.

Cause I just sent in my HS1, and I might get an HS1A in return.

The more I read about the HS1A the more concerned I get, as they all seem to have a similar issue with the sound being flat and you need a much higher volume output (on HS1 you barely need to adjust it as its ****IN LOUD already)

Even if some guy has a proper soundcard i.e. asus xonar essence with the same **** the built in card in the HS1 has, the HS1A appears to sound nowhere near the HS1. Even though the asus card is able to produce better sound while still having Dolby Headphone/Virtual Surround.

The HS1A appears to lack a ton of bass in comparison to the HS1, which has very little of it but youll still notice it, and can get it to sound nicely by a very small adjustment.

But this is mostly from what I have read around on the net.

I had the EXACT same issue with them. I bought the USB (HSA) originally, and thought that my $60 Fatality headset (which also has a 50mm driver) produced 100x more bass than the Corsairs.

I thought that it was due to it being USB. I noticed when I used the Corsair audio utility, increasing the bass, dramatically dropped the mids and high, on any setting I tested, 2.0, 7.1, they just never got loud enough. So I went and bought the analog version, but again, same problem, absolutely horrible bass reproduction. With no exaggeration, the $60 Fatality's headset, which I think are so uncomfortable, literally shake the headset housing, that's how deep the bass is, and it sounds AMAZING, however, it is subpar on the mids and highs.

The Corsair headset did an excellent job reproducing the mids and highs, but even with adjustments to audio levels, it completely faltered on the bass.

One definite plus is that I can say these are by far, the most comfortable headsets I've ever used. Even better than the $1,200 Sennheiser HD800's which is what I buy my video/sound editors at my company.

I also noticed that the HS1A (vs the HSA) came with leather and cloth ear pieces, and different (no blue LED) controller (bummer), as well as it didn't have the Corsair audio management utility which I think is needed.

Tomorrow I take these back and grab a set of Sennheisers 350's ($165), with higher expectations.

Good attempt Corsair, but for this price, I expect ear hurting, absolute thumping bass, while retaining the mids and highs.

Cheers.

Archived