Corsair Community

sp l120 2700 RPM does not ramp up to 2700 RPm

hurricane28

Hi,

I have a weird thing going on according the standard 2700 sp120L fans.

they say that they have an speed of 2700rpm but i have 4 fans connected to my corsair link and none of them ramp up to 2700rpm.

I also have connected them to my fan controller but it report the same speed as in corsair link.

fan 1 goes to 2435 fan 2: 2556 fan 3: 2473 and fan 4: 2389

Are my fans broke? this is not even NEAR 2700rpm what corsair advertised...

Can someone tell me what is going on?

any fan will have a tolerance based on construction,bearings and other factors so they likely wont reach stated rpm,even restrictions and case placement can affect total rpm's. theres usually a 10% tolerance so your fans are within specs.

Yes i know that but this is an very big difference don't you think?

I mean all 4 have speeds that vary A LOT my best fan hits 2550 and my slowest is 2389...

If they advertise speeds up to 2700rpm it must speed up to 2700rpm outside of my case and if they do not they lie about their fan speeds and such..

Also if they run much slower than the advertised 2700 they have an way less static pressure than they say as well.

I do run push/pull tho so the speeds can vary but this is an ridiculously amount of difference in speeds.

i assume they test their products to make such an claim tho.

The Monster ...as Yellowbeard likes to call it.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=681942&postcount=28

attachment.php?attachmentid=13420&d=1383940489

LOL that is a monster indeed :D:

I bet my fans OR did not pass the test and they sold them anyway, or the bearings wore out and i am still within my warranty and i need to do an RMA.

Because now i miss a lot of performance and basically they do not perform any better than the standard sp120's.

I do want to point out that the second set of fans are the replacement fans that i got from Corsair because the first set had high pitch noise witch was an firmware fault instead of fan issue.

hurricane28

you can submit a rma and get replacements fan as corsair almost always approves rma's as customer satisfaction is quite important to them

however

you will never get a fan that will achieve max rpm's in a real world application.,as theres just so many variables that will limit what a fan does

i think the average for 2700 rpm fans is right at 2500 when installed.,at least thats my average for my 19 fans...

update!

I pulled my H100I out of my case and did a fan test, 2 fans were running at 26.. and two are running at 2730 exact the same speeds.

So i mounted my best 2 fans on it and prestoo it performs just as good as when i was running in push/pull.

I am running my CPU at 4.8ghz and i have set the fan profile in corsair link to quiet mode so i can't really hear them and still have very good performance!

The max temp i saw was 56c so that is way below the max temp my chip can handle 24/7

I did run my chip at 5ghz before but there is not much of an difference in gaming or any other application that you will notice much so i backed off to 4.8 24/7.

Another thing is that i get a way better temp when i exchanged the TIM with MX-4

so free running they are well within spec/tolerance,this is good.also if against a radiator,dirt/dust in the rad will hinder the rpm...

Yes they are indeed, i installed the 2 that were running at 2730rpm now.

I do know that dirt, mesh and other things are restrictive and hinder the rpm, but what i thought was that the fans run that speed when installed, witch is stupid afterwords but hey, were all here to learn right :D:

Also i am looking for a good deal for another case, because my 650D has not a very good airflow i noticed, i am looking for an 750D perhaps.

Also i am looking for a good deal for another case, because my 650D has not a very good airflow i noticed, i am looking for an 750D perhaps.

The 750 is a good air case if your GPU's use a reference style cooler. Otherwise,it's better suited to water cooling. If they exhaust in the case then your not going to like it over your 650D . Really your statement surprises me. Poor Airflow is one thing I cant complain about with my 650D

Archived