Corsair Community

Question about making custom Fan Profiles

bad99gtp

So I recently bought the Commander Pro and am using the iCue software to control my fans, but what I'm having a TON of trouble with and this may sound dumb... But I REALLY want my fans to be Sequential. So I have 6 Corsair LL120 RGB Hydraulic Bearing 120mm Case Fans. And I am trying to make it so that the inner ring is purple and the outer ring is white, but I want them to move in a sequential type movement from start (fan 1) to the end (fan #6) and I cannot find anyway of doing this. I've tried so many different ways on my own and I just cannot get them to sequence properly. It's either the inner rings don't light up and end at the same time as the outers or visa-versa.

Can anyone post me to a link/ video or help me make a custom profile with these settings? I'd appreciate any help GREATLY. Thanks

When we are talking sequential, keep in mind the lighting will still have to chain through from one LED to the next as opposed to entire fan (or section) color 1, then it moves to fan 2 in one whole piece. You can make it the whole fan change color, or you can make it move, but doing both is hard.

If I am understanding your goal, try this:

1) Create new custom "WAVE" in iCUE with + add lighting effect.

2) Rename it "inner wave" (or whatever).

3) Click the little + down by the graph. That will put a white block across the field.

4) For the moment, change the lighting time from 1 to 10 seconds so it will stop flashing at you.

5) You now have a whole fan white wave applied to all fans. Go up to any one of the 6 fans and click in the black space outside of the fan. You just de-selected the lighting from the fan.

6) Now we need to apply it back to the middle of the fan. Hold CTRL (keyboard) and left click drag over each middle section. Now this applies to only the middle section.

It seems like you understand this and got that far. Repeat the steps above to create the purple outer ring, then deselect and apply to the outer ring LEDs only.

Now it's time for math. You have 6 x 12 outer LEDs (72) and 6 x 4 (24) inner LEDs. You need to set the tail and velocity so they start and finish at the same time. There are are few hidden rules. Even when LEDs are deselected, they still count in terms of timing and sequence. So the 4 center LEDs are still "going through the outer ring" in terms of timing. They just won't show.

This is just an example: Outer ring Tail 12 (for the 12 ring LEDs), Velocity 16. It moves at one fan per second with one fan lit at a time. Inner Tail 4 (for 4 inner LEDs), Velocity 16. Timing - it takes 6 seconds to run through the sequence at those timings (1 sec per fan). Use anything 6 seconds or more in the wave timing box for BOTH waves.

If you want to make the fans stay lit longer (not 1 fan per tick), change the tail on both to 72 (6x16 LEDs). Now it will light each one up 1-6 and then fade out. If the fade gets cut before it finishes, extend the wave time for both. Remember the center wave is still counting through outer LEDs, even though it is not part of the selected lights. That is why they both need the same tail.

*BTW, sometimes they get out of sequence when you are designing and altering timing. To reset the timings, change to another profile and then switch right back. That puts the clock back at 0.

If that just gave you a headache, try the Arc LL fan lighting pattern, purple outer, white inner. That will take 4 seconds to set up, but it is not exactly the same.

Edited by c-attack
Missing velocity on inner ring example

When we are talking sequential, keep in mind the lighting will still have to chain through from one LED to the next as opposed to entire fan (or section) color 1, then it moves to fan 2 in one whole piece. You can make it the whole fan change color, or you can make it move, but doing both is hard.

If I am understanding your goal, try this:

1) Create new custom "WAVE" in iCUE with + add lighting effect.

2) Rename it "inner wave" (or whatever).

3) Click the little + down by the graph. That will put a white block across the field.

4) For the moment, change the lighting time from 1 to 10 seconds so it will stop flashing at you.

5) You now have a whole fan white wave applied to all fans. Go up to any one of the 6 fans and click in the black space outside of the fan. You just de-selected the lighting from the fan.

6) Now we need to apply it back to the middle of the fan. Hold CTRL (keyboard) and left click drag over each middle section. Now this applies to only the middle section.

It seems like you understand this and got that far. Repeat the steps above to create the purple outer ring, then deselect and apply to the outer ring LEDs only.

Now it's time for math. You have 6 x 12 outer LEDs (72) and 6 x 4 (24) inner LEDs. You need to set the tail and velocity so they start and finish at the same time. There are are few hidden rules. Even when LEDs are deselected, they still count in terms of timing and sequence. So the 4 center LEDs are still "going through the outer ring" in terms of timing. They just won't show.

This is just an example: Outer ring Tail 12 (for the 12 ring LEDs), Velocity 16. It moves at one fan per second with one fan lit at a time. Inner Tail 4 (for 4 inner LEDs), Velocity 16. Timing - it takes 6 seconds to run through the sequence at those timings (1 sec per fan). Use anything 6 seconds or more in the wave timing box for BOTH waves.

If you want to make the fans stay lit longer (not 1 fan per tick), change the tail on both to 72 (6x16 LEDs). Now it will light each one up 1-6 and then fade out. If the fade gets cut before it finishes, extend the wave time for both. Remember the center wave is still counting through outer LEDs, even though it is not part of the selected lights. That is why they both need the same tail.

*BTW, sometimes they get out of sequence when you are designing and altering timing. To reset the timings, change to another profile and then switch right back. That puts the clock back at 0.

If that just gave you a headache, try the Arc LL fan lighting pattern, purple outer, white inner. That will take 4 seconds to set up, but it is not exactly the same.

No this makes a lot of sense actually. I'm going to try it. So when I'm in the iCue software; and I'm looking at making these profiles. Do I want to add anything to the "Lighting Channel?" Or just to the "lighting setup" menu functionality of adding the (+) and or new layers?

Okay! So I actually figured it out completely thanks to you. They're completely in sequence now. I was doing this all along and just couldn't figure out why it wasn't working... So right now as it sits. My settings are at this.

1) Tail 96.0

2) Velocity 19.0

3) Lighting time in sec 10.0

This has made it so that all fans sequential the colors perfectly through all the fans while staying lit, and then start over. But one question... So how can I slow the actual process down a bit... It seems quite fast right now how fast the rings are lighting up; and spinning in.

Is it possible to slow that inner / outer spinning down at all? With that being ask. What factor would I need to change in order for it to hit all fans staying on at the same time, and then restarting once it hits the 6th fan with the other 5 still being lit?

For this type of pattern, you need to keep velocity and lighting timing the same to keep both waves in sync. It can be any value you like, as long as they are the same. I usually wind up working in multiples or factors of the fan LED count (12-16-4-8). It can be any value. The program will do the math.

The tail is for show. You can do a little or a lot, depending on how much light you want to throw around. The only trick here is you are working with effectively with 2 different LED counts (4 inner, 12 outer). Consider that the base unit and then multiply it out x2, x3, x4 whatever time create your desired length. 4 fan coverage? 16 inner, 48 outer. You don’t have to do full fan intervals, but it likely won’t look exactly right if you loose your fan ratio.

Edited by c-attack