The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 05:58 PM
simplyZebo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501202
simplyZebo Reputation: 10
Default 750 Watt PSU Won't Turn On When Attached To Motherboard

Okay guys,
So last week I came to you with the problem that my PSU wouldn't turn on, I was able to return it to Newegg (after paper clip test fail and other fails). They sent me a brand new 750 watt (my last one was 650 watt) and I just received it today.

Before I did anything I ran the paperclip test and it powered on perfectly fine. I decided to go ahead and plug everything in and wire up everything. After I did this I was shocked to see my PC won't power it. It doesn't do anything. Doesn't attempt to start, nothing. Flip the switch and nothing happens.

What could be the problem now?!
NOTE: The motherboard 'idle' light comes on whenever I switch the power supply ON but that's all.

Last edited by Wired; 05-05-2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: REMOVED SPECS: MOVED TO PROFILE

Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501207
Wired Reputation: 32

How many sticks of memory are you using? Try with just one stick and disconnect the storage and DVD drives. Also, as per the rules please do not go around the forum's filter.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Last edited by Wired; 05-05-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
simplyZebo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501210

I'm using 4x4 GB sticks of RAM. I tried the paper clip test attached to one fan and it powered up perfectly. I don't understand what the problem could be. The motherboard light comes on but nothing else happens.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 501229
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Sounds like there could be a short somewhere. Do you have any other PSUs which are working in the system? I would suggest disconnecting as many hardware components from the PSU and motherboard as you can get away with while still potentially being able to get into the BIOS. If there is no change, then you may want to remove the board from the case and bench test it to rule out a ground/short with the case.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
simplyZebo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501235

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Sounds like there could be a short somewhere. Do you have any other PSUs which are working in the system? I would suggest disconnecting as many hardware components from the PSU and motherboard as you can get away with while still potentially being able to get into the BIOS. If there is no change, then you may want to remove the board from the case and bench test it to rule out a ground/short with the case.
Whenever I try the paperclip test the PSU boots perfect and the PSU top fan begins to spin.

Whenever I plug in the 24-pin and 8-pin cables from my PSU into my motherboard and turn the PSU the only indication of power I get is the green standby light on my motherboard.

Whenever I plug in the 24-pin and 8-pin cables along with the rest of the cables to my motherboard I receive the green standby light on my motherboard once again.

Whenever I press the power button on my case the PSU top fan spins for around half a second then turns off. No other fans/devices start whenever I press the power button.

So in all what I'm getting is that the paperclip test works perfectly fine but whenever I plug the 24-pin and 8-pin into my motherboard I have no power except for the green standby light on my motherboard.

Solutions anyone?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:56 AM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501251
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

the power switch on the case could be bad.
i have a system that i just leave the paperclip piggybacked on the connector and have had no problems in 3 years like that.
you might try jumping the power header on the motherboard and avoid the switch altogether to test.

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
simplyZebo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
the power switch on the case could be bad.
i have a system that i just leave the paperclip piggybacked on the connector and have had no problems in 3 years like that.
you might try jumping the power header on the motherboard and avoid the switch altogether to test.
What do you mean by the sentence I bold/underlined?

So you got by with pretty much using the paperclip test for full power for 3 years? How was your motherboard powered up then?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:05 AM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501276
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

the psu is connected to the board and i have the paperclip coming through the back of the connector from the green wire to a black and it keeps me powered on.

what i meant is the header on the motherboard for power on that normally goes to the front panel switch i use the tip of the screwdriver to touch the 2 pins just as if the power switch would do.

that PC has an issue with one of the traces that normally power on the board so the switch is useless so thats why i leave the paperclip in so the psu is powered on all the time.

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 PM
simplyZebo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
the psu is connected to the board and i have the paperclip coming through the back of the connector from the green wire to a black and it keeps me powered on.

what i meant is the header on the motherboard for power on that normally goes to the front panel switch i use the tip of the screwdriver to touch the 2 pins just as if the power switch would do.

that PC has an issue with one of the traces that normally power on the board so the switch is useless so thats why i leave the paperclip in so the psu is powered on all the time.
So what's most likely the problem with?

Motherboard..
Case..
PSU..

??????

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501735
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

That depends. Did you test the power switch on the case like Synthohol stated? Or didn't you understand what he was describing. I asked because i hard a hard time following it myself for some reason. But by doing that test it could confirm/exclude the case. If it powers on when touching those pins then it's the case button and you can almost exclude the motherboard at that point. . If i does NOT power up , then it's most likely the board. Even if it was the Power button io the case , those are pretty easy to obtain/change by contacting the maker, and without having to swap out the whole case. All you have to do is follow the wires back from the switch on your case to the point where they connect on the motherboard. Then unplug the wire and touch the now exposed pins with something like a screwdriver. Make sure what ever you use has rubber handles to avoid a rather electrifying experience.

Oh wait , your motherboard has a power switch directly on the board. What happens when you push that? Power/no power? Power up in that way could mean that either the Case button is bad. In which case Synthohol's test would still need to be done to further trouble shoot the button. But if it turns on by both using the Power button on the MB and by touching the pins together on the board, you can safely say that it is the case switch.

Last edited by peanutz94; 05-09-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:06 PM
BobArch2's PC Specs

POST ID # = 501893
BobArch2 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyZebo View Post
So what's most likely the problem with?

Motherboard..
Case..
PSU..

??????
I had a similar problem with the AX750 powering the ASUS P8P67 Pro m/b. The m/b LEDs were lit but the system would not turn on and start the POST. The problem was determined to be the video card. Once the video card was replaced, all worked as expected.

Hope this helps...