Corsair Community

Lag in hearing my own voice with HS1

Quboid

When I speak into my HS1 microphone, the sound is played back in the headphones, but there is a delay of about a third of a second. Do other people get this? It sounds trivial, but it is very disconcerting to have this echo* and it causes me to speak more and more slowly as I am used to immediate feedback, both from other headsets and of course, in general life. Further more, unlike other headsets, I don't see any way to turn off microphone playback.

* I don't mean anything to do with the echo feature in the drivers. All these options are turned off.

I came here looking for a solution to the same problem. I occasionally patch musical instruments in through the line-in on my sound card to record or just to use my speakers to play through, and while using these headphones as an output, there is a quarter-second delay on everything I play. It has made any kind of music creation impossible. It's a great headset. I just can't get past the delay when listening to myself through the mic or listening to myself play through the line-in.

Is there any official word on why this is happening? Is it a processing limitation of USB 2.0, or is it something to do with the headset itself? If there's nothing that can be done, I'm afraid these may have to go back to the store in favour of an analog headset. Shame, really.

The option is in the control panel, on the mixer page. The icon is below the recording volume.

Ooh, silly me, I thought that was another mute control. Thank you.

This is a help for me, but the original problem still exists. Any chance of a driver update Corsair?

It appears to be an issue inherent in all USB headsets. Maybe there just isn't enough processing power in that little external sound card to match the response of an analog headset, or USB 2 just isn't fast enough, I don't know(I doubt the latter, but I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility).

I returned my set this morning and grabbed one of the Steelseries(5hv2 USB) sets that has analog jacks as well as the USB sound card adapter and they have the same problem running through USB. However, the Analog is flawless.

It's a shame that Corsair didn't design their headphones the same way. The build quality and comfort/fit is far superior to that of the Steelseries. I would have loved to have kept them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived