Corsair Community

Setting custom fan curve still freezes iCUE. COME ON!! 2 years now.

Dominat0r

Ok. This is really starting to piss me off with the lack of bug fixing going on here with iCUE. Wtf will it take to get this to not freeze iCUE. It’s been 2 damn years since this has been happening. Wtf is going on over there? I manage a coding department and if this continued to happen, I would fire every single one of them.

Come on Corsair. Get it together. This is embarrassingly unbelievable that this has not been fixed yet.

Every review I write is going to include the sheer lack of any progress on Corsair side. I got rid of my scimitar, my k70, my void and my HE70 headset. All of them are plagued by the software. Only thing left is the h100v2 and of course there are still bugs that remain in that.

Very angry customer and will never use or recommend your products to anyone.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I have iCUE, AIOs and Commander Pros ... all with custom fan curves ... in four different systems here in my home. A large number of users are using custom fan curves. No freezes.

So ... something is happening with your system. If this was wide spread, the feedback here would be a lot more than a post here and there. There would be more than one 1000+ post threads (because that's just how things roll here).

If you're interested in seeing if we can figure out your issue, there's several here that can help. I see a post from 2018 where you talk about the dashboard freezing (sounds like a different issue). And then a couple very recently.

Or ... you can just complain.

Seems like a lot of posts here to be just my machine, but thank you for playing.

https://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=178964

Funny thing is you are the 2nd poster in this, did it slip your mind? haha

Not to be a dick about it, but this is exactly why this bug has remained in place...Does Corsair think this has been fixed or something? Clearly hasnt.....

Edited by Dominat0r

What is you expect some one to say? There really is nowhere to go after "Very angry customer and will never use or recommend your products to anyone." Doesn't sound like you are looking for help. Not really an invitation to chat and you haven't provided any information to work with.

You referenced a thread from 18 months ago with a then early release bug. It has been gone for a long time. A handful of people keep tacking on to it who don't understand the difference between a symptom and a cause. The app might lock up if there is a problem. No arguing with that. However, that does not mean they all originate from the same root cause. You may need to provide a little more detail than "it is caused by a custom curve". For example, what device, in what circumstances, hardware specs, etc. Something someone could possible work with.

Understandable....I will provide specs

Asrock Killer Z290

7700k @ 4.8

16GB G.Skilll Trident Z

Corsair TX850 PSU

Corsair H100i V2

2x 1070s

I can change everything but the fan curve, soon as that changes, it goes into quiet or balanced mode, cant tell. This is now the ONLY device in iCue, I had to get rid of the keyboard, mouse, headset (Different reason, or could be related, returned it when I could). The only thing I have changed was the fan curve. It will NOT do it on any pre programed curve, only on custom. Dashboard freezes up or the program will just close. I could be in game and with the Scimitar, when iCUE freezes, you lose all the buttons minus left and right click. Machine has been together for 2 years now, but running on either balanced when I am away or fixed when I play...

I have tried everything, even did a fresh install to see if it was anything I was using. I have switch out a few things over the past 2 years and it still does this. I have forced the firmware update a couple of times to be sure. I have went back to stock clock speeds on everything and it still persists. Granted, I have not updated for a year or so. However, I just did it 2 weeks ago and it still does it. I switched drives and just did a fresh install of windows and after a fresh reinstall, it still does it. I even went as far as changing my thermal paste, just for the hell of it and its been 2 years on Artic silver. It did help my temps going to H1 paste, but this still happens. It takes longer on just desktop usage as my temps do not fluctuate as much as gaming, but it will end up doing it.

This was going since the day I tried a custom fan curve. I went nuts trying to figure it out, but its for sure something with this cooler and the software...its the last thing left.

Edited by Dominat0r

There is not a lot of troubleshooting going on in that thread and the proposed theory doesn't make a lot of sense. If there was an inherent link between custom curves and iCUE freezing, then every single "i" cooler and Commander Pro owner would be victim to this. Do you realize how many people that includes? There has to be another agent in the mix.

What control variable are you using for the custom curve?

The H100i v2 will save it's custom curve based on coolant temperature (H100i v2 Temp) to the device automatically, as soon as you set it. You don't have to run iCUE at all unless you want to make lighting changes or monitor the coolant temp. This may be a more useful intermediate solution.

Since you jettisoned your other gear and the H100i v2 is the only thing left, you could also do as the prime poster in that thread does and use a late version of Link 4.9.xx. It was only for internal devices and is lighter than iCUE that handles twice as many devices. There is no inherent benefit for control or function for the H100i v2 with iCUE. However, be aware using other full spectrum monitoring programs like AIDA or HWiNFO at the same time is the leading cause for lock ups or gibberish values. This is true with Link as well.

So what you are basically saying is you play the lotto if you buy these items? I have a new keyboard, mouse, headset that all have their own software and for some reason, it all works. It does NOT freeze. I added back my video card overclocking software after rebuilding for the 3rd time on the machine, it monitors hardware, plus my mobo software I installed also has its own hardware monitoring software. Non of which freeze or stop working since installed. No other software freezes or stops working because of something else and thats my point. No matter how you slice it, its still the item and the awful software that causes this. Its not Asus, its not EVGA, because of its monitoring software, the 2 do not freeze each other or make each other stop working. If it did, i would be writing to them. Its the Corsair software thats not playing nice with other things....DING DING DING DING....

I was using just my iCUE software on a fresh install and within 30mins or so of playing a game (on custom profile, saved to the cooler itself), it will freeze (iCUE). NO other fan management, hardware manager or anything other than iCUE. I know the profile does save to the device when I save it, go figure, but it does still freeze after a certain amount of time. However, if i dont install anything, the fan does not ramp up enough to keep my temps in check. So I have to either used a fixed profile or used one of the pre-programed one and that does not ramp up enough as I said before.

I see what you are saying, you have tons of people that this works, but we do have people that it doesnt work.....are we wrong? Are we lying? Do we not deserve a say in how something works? I really feel like this is a silence type of thing and that if corsair doesnt reply, they know and just dont care. Now, that makes sense....but that does not fix anything.

I think some of us are just pissed cause this is obviously still happening to some degree and it has been 2 years for me that this has been happening.

Sorry, yes, I dumped all my corsair gear and the cooler will be the last piece and that is going to be replaced very soon because I did not win the "Corsair Lotto". The software plagues ALL my corsair devices. Can you blame people for dumping the products that have issues like this? Were we supposed to keep it all and come to Corsair for the last 2 years and try and get it working? If we did that 2 years ago, we would be in the same spot as we are now....

Now, I do really wish I saw these forums and read more before I purchased anything Corsair, cause it all revolves around the software.

Edited by Dominat0r

No, I am saying I am not a magician. I cannot reach into your PC and figure out what programs and hardware you are running and what is going wrong. If you want a solution for that, you know who need to talk with. The Corsair Tech support link is in the margin above. Check the debug logging option.

What I have done is offer 2 alternate options to avoid the problem. You do not have to accept them. You can do whatever you like. You say the software locks up and I believe you. If you do intend to try and troubleshoot the issue, why do you think it happens? The problem does not appear to be random, hoping from user to user at various points in time. It keeps affecting the same small group of people over 10-20 versions of the software. The most logical theory is that you have some type of hardware problem (either core system or the Corsair device itself) or it is being unintentionally used in a way that creates this condition and only a very small number of people have stumbled upon it. Do you really want us to blindly guess? There is no superficial obvious clue (“Oh yes, happens to everyone running Windows 10”).

If you don’t intent to troubleshoot the issue, that’s fine and what I assumed was your original intent. However, there then is really nothing else for other users to say.

Oh, i get it..you see the words you used there kinda is the problem, not with you, but with the company in general.

"2 alternate options to avoid the problem"

The fact there there are options that we can take to avoid the problem is just like saying, there is something wrong and we will not fix it....Again, this is not you personally, unless you are a employee for Corsair on a user account.

Again, you pointing to the machine every single time, could it just not be the software? If its my hardware, why are the new items not doing this? I replaced everything but the cooler so far....mouse does not lose buttons during a game, my keyboard lighting doesnt freeze....my headset did not just go low and lose all EQ....

I know its something to do with the software man, there is NO doubt. If it were hardware, it would show in other places. Unless Corsair uses a piece of hidden hardware that THEY only can use and its only used for iCUE.....? Even if you were right and it was hardware, its CORSAIR's hardware......

What would it be and why does it work with others and not Corsair? Is that the fault of the hardware or software?

Edited by Dominat0r

The fact there there are options that we can take to avoid the problem is just like saying, there is something wrong and we will not fix it....Again, this is not you personally, unless you are a employee for Corsair on a user account.

Certainly not and like most people I landed here once upon a time with a problem. I have been needling people for 6 years to get off the presets and use custom control curves for everything. Can you imagine the crushing backlash if even a small percentage were greeted with this issue?

Yes, I am giving you two possible ways to work around or side step the problem. That’s really all any user can do. We help people work with what they have. I cannot reprogram the app or service your PC. Some people are very methodical and provide very detailed information, enough to attempt working through the issue. This never seemed to be your intent. You keep presenting philosophical questions about what should or should not be. We can’t answer those. We can’t answer for Corsair. You have an unusual problem limited to a very small group. If you don’t provide more for people to work with, if you don’t really want to methodically troubleshoot the issue, then it really impossible for anyone here to help. It’s your time and gear. You get to decide what you want to do. However, it is also my time on this end and for the most part I try avoid arguments about things I don’t build, can’t control, can’t work on myself, or can’t fix — except for offering suggestions that would stop the problem from happening as described above. If you do want to work on the problem, you are going to have to commit to a more methodical, information sharing approach.

I understand what you are saying, those questions were more rhetorical to bring up the point I was trying to make. I did not expect you to be able to answer. I am sure everyone appreciates a non Corsair employee spending their time and answering these questions and addressing concerns. I have read a lot of your posts and I think you have answered a few of mine over the years, so I do appreciate it. I do see that you have put in your time and effort and you answer almost every post. Man, I wish I had that kinda time for no pay haha...Maybe you should go over there and work for them, I mean, it makes sense. I think customers would appreciate a Corsair employee answering nearly as much as you. I for one would feel much better and endorse a company like that.

I will provide whatever information is needed to determine what the cause of this is. After using this PC for 2 years, if it were anything hardware, it would effect something else and thats when I said unless corsair has some hardware thats used only for that.

I have my new build going on now. I will be replacing everything and just for giggles, I will install this cooler and iCue and test. This is 100% new machine. No parts swapped between. The only thing thats even the same brand is the CPU and Ram, but its newer and faster.

I will also send it to corsair for them to test, it could be something with their cooler hardware....

What makes me lean towards the cooler is that the cooler was the first and last corsair item I have had in this machine. Granted, I have not removed it and tested the other gear single, but I was kinda expecting this to be done by the company? (Not for you to answer). It could be just the software, as there is no reason to run the software alone, I have not tested it....and again, thought that Corsair would have tested this in R&D? (not for you to answer)

Edited by Dominat0r

I think the most likely problem is some type of software mishap, but I do not think inherent to the application. If would affect so many more people (including me) and not be so mean spirited in targeting the same people over and over. It would pop more often for more people if it were solely within iCUE.

First, quit the iCUE app from the system tray and then go to C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/CUE/cooling and cut and paste the cooling folder to the desktop. Now launch iCUE. It will rebuild the folder with all fan settings at the default. Now recreate your custom curve. Some sort of corruption in the existing cooling config seems the most probable and it easy to pass that on with each subsequent in place update.

If it locks up again, go to plan B.

I would try is running Link 4.9 instead. This may serve two purposes. 1) A hardware test for the cooler. If the cooler is the problem, Link should crash as well. I am not suggesting this is the likely source, but it is an easier one to approach. 2) It will give you a short relief from this problem (we hope).

In order for Link to take back control, you must uninstall iCUE. If you want to save your data, layout, etc., the best thing to do is go to C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair and copy the Corsair folder to a safe place. That is all your settings. If you put CUE back on, you can drop it back in that location, then launch iCUE and it will be as if you left it. If you don't really have any current iCUE settings, a full delete might be in order.

Now make your curve with Link. Still crashing? Seems like a cooler hardware problem, although a very strange one. Not crashing? Does point the finger at some sort of iCUE conflict with something.