Corsair Community

Freezing Temperatures

theecrewchief

Hello. I have a build that is about 5 years old. It has a 4770k with water cooling, 32b of ram, a couple ssd, dedicated graphics card, and looks sharp in the corsair case that looks like an ammo can. There is nothing wrong with the system at all for normal everyday use or light gaming. I just need something a lot more powerful for rendering so i am planning to start a 3950x build. I don't want to just scrap this computer since there is nothing wrong with it at all. I have a use for it in my work shop. The thing i am slightly concerned about is it isn't heated or cooled when we are not there and temps can easily drop below 32F or 0C. With it having a corsair AIO water cooler from 5 years ago will this be an issue? Does anyone know the temperature at which the fluid in the cooler will freeze? I know when water freezes but I don't know what the fluid freezes at with their additives. Thanks for reading all that.

Typically AIO coolers have a water/Glycol mix of around 90/10%. We know where water freezes. Glycol should do the same around 8F. That puts the likely freeze point somewhere in the mid 20s. However, since any liquid to ice expansion is bad and its not going to flash freeze, any temp below 32F/0C is a problem. I don't think you want it out there if its that cold.

*Found a table. Assuming 90/10, freeze point is 26F with a burst point at 22/23F, which I am pretty sure you would like to avoid. However, the freeze point moves more than I expected as Glycol concentration increases. At 25%, your down to 10F and -2F burst point. That makes the exact concentration fairly relevant, but my general advice is not to roll the dice regardless of the proportions.

Edited by c-attack