Corsair Community

Sensitive keys and dim punctuation symbols on Strafe RGB MX Silent

bluekid

My new Strafe RGB MX Silent is a great keyboard with great colors. But I have two concerns regarding 1) high key sensitivity, and 2) dim punctuation symbols. Are there any keycap options or adjustments that would address these? Details:

1. Pushing a key down by a tiny amount, like barely a millimeter, seems to activate it. The keys also feel light for that first millimeter. I end up pressing the "d" key by accident just by resting my left fingers on the keyboard. I think pressing a key should require more downward travel or more downward force.

2. On any key with two symbols on it, like the number/punctuation keys, the backlit bottom symbol is too dim to see well, even at the brightest setting. So on the 3# key, the 3 is bright and the # is too dim. On the single/double quote key, you can barely see the double quote symbol at all. The top symbol is the “non-shift” character, which is counterintuitive (on most computer keyboards it's at the bottom), so I guess they’re trying to highlight it. But it’s a problem for me. Strangely, the photo on the box shows the top and bottom symbols at almost identical brightness (hello Photoshop) So it's a bit misleading, not that I noticed the box anyway.

If there's a way to rectify these issues with new key caps or mechanisms, especially the sensitivity, I'd love to know. Thanks!

Is this your first mechanical keyboard? What are you comparing this keyboard to?

With how our keys and legends displayed, there is currently no way to have the two symbols brightly lit, unless we print them side by side.

Thanks for your response. My first mechanical keyboard was on an IBM PC and I worked for IBM in the 80s so I'm quite familiar with the concept. With all the keyboards I've liked (whether mechanical or not) you get some initial resistance to the key press, but once you push through that resistance, resistance disappears and the key activates (sends its signal). There's a satisfying feeling when the resistance breaks which serves as feedback and the whole design prevents accidental keystrokes by people with heavy fingers. Newer keyboards have less key travel than the IBM but some aren't too bad. But with my new Corsair, there's no extra resistance at the top; resistance is the same (and light) all the way down. And the key activates near the top of its range of motion, so most of the range of motion is sort of wasted. You get no mechanical feedback when the key is activated, only when it hits bottom. I'm guessing today's mechanical keyboards are designed for people who are used to cheap, light, thin keyboards with little feedback, whereas the old IBM keyboards were designed for people who grew up using typewriters. There's nothing wrong with putting out a product people want, which the Corsair RGB Silent seems to be. But I think the high sensitivity of its keys defeats the whole purpose of a mechanical keyboard.

The dim punctuation symbols are disappointing and don't match the box. But I'll manage.

I didn't mention this, but one of the SHIFT keys doesn't work properly. It makes an odd noise and seems to be rubbing or catching on something inside. I'll write a ticket.

Going to add on to your post since it's relevant.

Going to +1 the high sensitivity, although in my case it just seems to be the space bar. This is my first mechanical keyboard, so I'm not exactly sure how it should be, but the super short activation length for the space bar does not seem right to me. It almost feels as if it's lacking resistance compared to the other keys on the keyboard. I've taken off the space bar to check if there was anything blocking it or anything (unlikely though since I just got it yesterday), which there wasn't. I also manually hit the switch, but it sort of felt normal trying to activate it manually.

• 1 month later...
I've since learned that different key switch models have their own unique characteristics. MX Silent Cherry switches are linear whereas switches like the MX Cherry Brown are tactile in their response. Tactile means you get some initial resistance as you press down and then the resistance breaks. Linear means there's no change in resistance. Also some switch models are lighter than others. Maybe I didn't communicate my problem well, but that's exactly what I was complaining about - the lack of initial resistance of linear switches. Tactile switches would totally avoid this problem. Wish I'd known this when I bought the keyboard!

I have the strafe silent, and I really don't see any issues with the key resistance, of course there is no click sounds since they are designed to be silent where any kind of resistance would make noise.

On my particular keyboard the arrow keys for example won't activate until it's at least 75% pressed I can even rest my hands on the keys and I get no accidental key presses, I did have a minor issue with a slightly sensitive space bar, I think it was due to the size and heaviness of the textured spacebar since only one switch takes the weight of the entire key (it has side supports but they aren't spring loaded).

anyways I have replaced the spacebar with the "smooth" no texture model that seems a lot lighter, so far the spacebar doesn't seem as heavy or easily pressed and now I don't get any accidental space presses.

http://imgur.com/tp8DpQ0

as for the backlighting the LED's are at the top of each key, so that's why the top letters get more light through, I can still see and read the bottom letters fine, enough even in a completely dark room, are you sure your kb is on the max brightness?

http://imgur.com/a/CATXY

• 2 months later...
I do not understand how I got anything of a good deal with the rgb strafe with the silent switches as I virtually cannot use it at all for typing. Gaming its great and super responsive but the problem is too much sensitivity its rolling keystrokes of certain keys like "E" if pressed only once will yield three or four entries of that single keystroke (like this 'eeee'). I am currently using a cheap 10 dollar keyboard from Walmart that has better fidelity in not butchering my already lousy typing skills. I know I'm not a professional secretary, but please if you're going to make a keyboard lets not exacerbate the typos with additional unwarranted letters thanks. Also I bought this keyboard after the official launch of windows 10 and why is the software "CUE" as its called unable to update itself sighting something about being unable to work with my current operating system. This is unacceptable for a product costing nearly 150 bucks to be so inadequately supported for an OS that has been in beta for more than a year prior to its official release. Corsair had to know that this was coming and did what to prepare for it? NO excuse at all Corsair for making a blinky light keyboard with the fidelity of a 2 year olds ability to stay within the lines of their coloring book while coloring. Id advise anyone to think twice before buying this farce of a keyboard. Having said that its great for gaming as in playing the game but even in some online games where its expected to be social and what you type is complete gibberish because the keyboard over polls the keystrokes of certain keys defeats the purpose of even having a responsive keyboard in the first place especially if everyone thinks you belong in the special Olympics. I will never buy corsair again and glad the only other thing I currently use made from them is my vengence ram which still works but my next build will be kingston ram chips since this keyboard has left me feeling more than burned.

I do not understand how I got anything of a good deal with the rgb strafe with the silent switches as I virtually cannot use it at all for typing. Gaming its great and super responsive but the problem is too much sensitivity its rolling keystrokes of certain keys like "E" if pressed only once will yield three or four entries of that single keystroke (like this 'eeee'). I am currently using a cheap 10 dollar keyboard from Walmart that has better fidelity in not butchering my already lousy typing skills. I know I'm not a professional secretary, but please if you're going to make a keyboard lets not exacerbate the typos with additional unwarranted letters thanks. Also I bought this keyboard after the official launch of windows 10 and why is the software "CUE" as its called unable to update itself sighting something about being unable to work with my current operating system. This is unacceptable for a product costing nearly 150 bucks to be so inadequately supported for an OS that has been in beta for more than a year. NO excuse at all Corsair for making a blinky light keyboard with the fidelity of a 2 year olds ability to stay within the lines of their coloring book with their crayons. Id advise anyone to think twice before buying this farce of a keyboard. Having said that its great for gaming as in playing the game but even in some online games where its expected to be social and what you type is complete gibberish because the keyboard over polls the keystrokes of certain keys defeats the purpose of even having a responsive keyboard in the first place especially if everyone thinks you belong in the special Olympics.

Well, if you're going to use the keyboard for typing too then you should have done some more research. Silent switches are linear switches just like the red switches, for typing (and for those not used to mechanical keyboards) brown or blue switches are a better starting choice. I've always preferred brown switches myself being a coder, but I recently switched to a keyboard using speed switches (which are even more sensible than the silent ones). I can say that they are indeed much different to handle and it takes time to get used to them.

And I don't really understand your problem with "CUE not updating". Which OS are you using? And which CUE version do you have installed? The latest version is 2.8.70 and you can download it from the Corsair's main site downloads area.

Well, if you're going to use the keyboard for typing too then you should have done some more research. Silent switches are linear switches just like the red switches, for typing (and for those not used to mechanical keyboards) brown or blue switches are a better starting choice. I've always preferred brown switches myself being a coder, but I recently switched to a keyboard using speed switches (which are even more sensible than the silent ones). I can say that they are indeed much different to handle and it takes time to get used to them.

And I don't really understand your problem with "CUE not updating". Which OS are you using? And which CUE version do you have installed? The latest version is 2.8.70 and you can download it from the Corsair's main site downloads area.

Oh so going into best buy and asking for a responsive gaming keyboard and not being told they have tendency to roll keystrokes and no where online in reviews stated such as a problem so dont give me that.

Also I did state I was using windows 10

((edited portion)) I admit I edited the above post but never changed anything regarding the OS type used. Having said that perhaps instead of sighting that I do my research perhaps you can read thoroughly. Also I am only here to bring up awareness of my specific issue since there seems to be a sheer lack of it and that only points me to believe my keyboard is defective and junk. So blow your research out thy *** plz.

• 1 month later...
I've just got hold of the Strafe as part of a package I bought. Very impressed with it overall but I too am having issues with the sensitivity- and it only appears to be certain keys. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the letters but I'm having issues with the number pad- the 2 and the 8 seem to be particularly sensitive while the others seem fine. As I work on spreadsheets from home, and I'd rather not keep swapping out keyboards, is there any way to address this?

It's hard to say. Is the STRAFE your first mechanical keyboard?

If you got it with a linear switch and you are coming from a membrane keyboard, it will take time to get used to typing on as the switches do not need a lot of force to activate unlike membrane.

I've had a mechanical before, although not for as while. It just seems weird it's only the number pad, and then only certain keys. 22 888 are examples of a single press- and the only duplicates in the whole of the time I've been typing this. I just want to sort the number pad so I can use the keyboard for work as well as gaming!

• 1 year later...
Sorry for the bump but had to rub it in that the Strafe RGB Silent MX keyboard I once owned has been destroyed in a round of target practice. I will say it held up nicely for the task of testing ammunition. I am still using off brand keyboards from Walmart and yep works flawless for the task and is RGB as well as having macro functions all for less than 50$. Seems anyone buying into Corsair is like your typical Apple fanbois paying for the brand for a crap product.

Archived