Corsair Community

Help! Stuck with low pump RPMs on original(?) H115i

johnhardyiv

Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling CW-9060027-WW

Hi, I've had this cooler on my oc'ed i7-6700K at 4.5Ghz since 2016 but only recently had occasion to stress test the system with OCTT 5.3 (troubleshooting AMD Radeon 5600XT issues).

I was shocked to see my thermals jump to 100 degrees under load, (coretemp used to monitor).

I never got a Corsair USB Link cable in the original package that I can recall so it's never been hooked up so I can't alter the pump speed. The Asus mobo (Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1) w_pump header connected to the AIO is saying the pump RPM is always around 1500rpm and never goes up, which probably explains the super heated readings under load.

Is my H115i 'stuck' in quiet mode since it's never been connected via the USB Link cable to iCUE? Is this an issue with this generation of AIOs?

Where can I get the USB Link cable? Thanks!

Edited by johnhardyiv
Update

Any mini-usb to USB 2 internal connection will work if you have lost the one that came with the cooler. Mini to external USB type A will work too. Some people have cables in that configuration from other devices like Android phones or PS4 controller chargers. If you have to buy one, you want a right angle on the micro-usb end.

However, changing pump speed will have no bearing on your performance. If you jump to 100C the moment the load part of OCCT kicks in, then you either have too much voltage or ineffective thermal transfer. A re-application of TIM is likely to be more meaningful, although you may not want to base a lot of your decision making around a stress test that has no practical value related to your use.

You may also want to check your normal baseline temps for the CPU relative to room temperature. You won't be able to read coolant temp until you get the USB situation sorted, but if your are idling in the 40C+ range or see really high idle after you finish gaming or other extended load, there may be a cooler issue as well.

Edited by c-attack

Thanks for the note. I did just re-apply some Corsair paste last week and it didn't make a difference. Unfortunately.

I'll try this cord from Amazon and see if its wired properly for iCUE, though one of the reviews seemed negative about it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q1MBSG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The voltages are stock, and I'm just using the Asus' performance preset which OCs it 12% to 4.5Ghz.

You're correct that this hasn't been a big concern before (including compiling MAME twice daily), but recently I'd started to get complete/immediate system shut downs which I have been trying to troubleshoot since I got a new GPU around the same time.. and then I saw these wacky temps.

I may end up with the newer CORSAIR iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT, 280mm Radiator, Dual 140mm PWM Fans, Software Control, Liquid CPU Cooler, CW-9060044-WW.

How long should the AIOs last, am I hitting an age limit w/ this one from 2016? Thanks -

That USB should work. The most likely scenario is you have a developing flow issue inside the cooler. The coolant is not making the trip around as fast as it should. This is usually from some type of blockage and that model cooler was more prone to it than others.

In the meantime, one was to test for this is a simple power on test. Next time you boot up cold, pull up a CPU temp monitor. They should sit quietly about 7-10C above your ambient room or case temp. Based on your specs, that is probably 30-35C. Web browse, word processing, do anything light. If the coolant isn't getting around, the baseline temp will slowly and steadily rise during this low load period. Starts at 30C. 5 minutes later its 35C. 10-15 min later its 40C. You can power on and get up of coffee and go back and check. This is the same test you would normally do with respect to coolant temp and it less prone to other variables, but effectively shows the same situation.

You will be in a better state with the new cooler regardless, but you can likely put your mind at ease as to whether this was immediately necessary by watching the idle CPU temps. Slow and steady climb after cold boot or substantially elevated temps that don't really go down after load are classic signs.

My cores look to idle in the mid to high 20s when the CPU steps down to 800Mhz. On a cold boot and then just browsing around after start up I'm in the high 30s and then drop down when I'm not doing anything. They don't stay pegged up there.

This is with core temp 1.15.1 monitoring. But you're right, hopefully the new AIO will go smooth.

One other thing I thought this morning was maybe I accidentally used the wrong standoffs for the mounting and the plate isn't on as firm as it should be? Seems a stretch, since I do get these very low idle temps. So at least it appears to be doing what it's supposed to when farting around around, just not under load. Thanks for the help.

[update] Corsair tech support just got back to me and suggested the pump/impeller might have gone south and wants to replace if its in warranty. I think their AIOs are 5 years, so I should be ok at 3/2016 purchase.

Edited by johnhardyiv

Just to follow up and close this loop, I installed the new H115i RGB XT a few days ago and got the USB Link cord with it, now a micro USB connector btw. Temps dropped 30 degrees under load, and I'm able to set the pump and fans to extreme, balanced or quiet.

Corsair also ok'ed the RMA for the non-functioning one. Thanks for the help in this thread.