Corsair Community

Ram version imcompatibility?

Astherox

Hello,

I bought two individual sticks of 8GB CMK8GX4M1A2400C14 ram, both version 5.20. After running MemTest86, I noticed that one stick showed had over 100 errors. I send the stick back to Amazon and got a replacement, exact same model but this time the version was 5.39 now Im not able to the overclock the cpu. With only one stick (no matter which) I can overclock to 3.7ghz with 1.31275v and 2666mhz ram. When I try the same using both sticks I cant even overclock to 35.25 ghz (0.25 ghz higher).

I used the AMD Ryzen Master application, and after adjusting the clock speed, it would ask me to restart. After the restart the cpu is overclocked and everything works fine. But the next time I try to boot or resume after standby the system wouldnt start. I see the boot screen of the bios for 1 second, then it tries to reach the windows repair screen but crashing, resulting in a loop.

I tested the ram using MemTest86 but didnt get any error messages, I also tried different ram slots, but it ultimately always failed when using 2 sticks. The ram are exactly the same (Corsair vengeance lpx 2400 mhz 8gb Model: CMK8GX4M1A2400C14). After a day, I wasnt even able to boot with both sticks and had to remove one. As I said the only difference is that one stick is "Ver 5.20" while the other is "Ver 5.39". What does that mean, should it make a difference? I also tried resetting the CMOS and reflashing the bios via USB. Is it the version difference that is causing the issues or could it be that the motherboard is defective or my 400W Psu is not enough?

Build for reference: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/nqXpwV

Yes, different versions will likely have chips from a different manufacturer, and possibly different rank arrangement too.

Thaiphoon can give you detailed information about the dimms, though your only solution is to return one (or both) of your dimms regardless.

In future buy only matched pairs, to avoid this occurrence.

Archived